Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
I've found that the most expensive, longest aged, most well-known whiskies are rarely the ones that interest me the most. Johnnie Walker Blue Label is a perfect example. I have a bottle which someone gave me as a gift. It's really smooth but, to me at least, entirely forgettable.

Ten or twelve years of aging seems to be a sweet spot. Lots of character, but nowhere near as expensive as the longer-aged bottles that bloom in price.

Balvenie Caribbean Cask
MacCallan Fine Oak (10 year)
Auchentoshan 12 and (OMG) Three Wood
Iwai ("Tradition" white label)

Sorry for any misspellings. I'm at work and don't want to Google Whisky.

BenAigen

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2014
Up a hill
I've found that the most expensive, longest aged, most well-known whiskies are rarely the ones that interest me the most. Johnnie Walker Blue Label is a perfect example. I have a bottle which someone gave me as a gift. It's really smooth but, to me at least, entirely forgettable.

Ten or twelve years of aging seems to be a sweet spot. Lots of character, but nowhere near as expensive as the longer-aged bottles that bloom in price.

Balvenie Caribbean Cask
MacCallan Fine Oak (10 year)
Auchentoshan 12 and (OMG) Three Wood
Iwai ("Tradition" white label)

Sorry for any misspellings. I'm at work and don't want to Google Whisky.

Johnnie Walker Blue is a very expensive blend of many whiskies, and in my opinion not worth the price, this whisky has no age statement, this means that any age whisky is used in this blend, so not one of my drinks.

Anything over 10 years old as a Single Malt is good and the examples that you give of two Speyside malts, The Balvenie and The Macallan, and a really nice Lowland Single Malt in the Auchentoshan are really excellent single malts. If you can find a cask strength bottle of Scotch Single Malt I think you will be in for a delightful surprise.

Ben

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Drank a bit of the Irish Yellow Spot last night. It's an excellent drink so far. I'd recommend the Green Spot too.

I have not tried the Red Spot yet, would be interested in hearing about it.

My current bottle of whiskey is a Green Spot. It's so good. I honestly haven't ventured forth much beyond the usual Irish distillers, so I'm glad to travel some new and interesting ground. Also makes a nice break from my usual preferred peaty Islays.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
My current bottle of whiskey is a Green Spot. It's so good. I honestly haven't ventured forth much beyond the usual Irish distillers, so I'm glad to travel some new and interesting ground. Also makes a nice break from my usual preferred peaty Islays.
Wish I could get ahold of another bottle of it. I've since finished my Yellow Spot, fantastic. I'd recommend trying that one if you like the whole Green Spot bottle.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
If it's Bourbon :

1591386712280.png

Or,

1591386807661.png

One of my fav Scotches :

1591386931472.png

And ( always have a few of these handy... )

1591387003839.png

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

If you like Green Spot, then might I suggest that you try Yellow Spot. It is excellent.

Re age: I realise that I have come to prize the quality of smoothness, in cognac, red wine, port, and indeed, whiskey (or whisky).

That means, in practice, that 12 year old whiskies are often not smooth enough for me; I prefer whiskies that come in at 14-15-17 years (but, yes, the prices do tend to become mouth watering once you hit 19-20 years.)

Last edited:
Reactions: BenAigen

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
From a previous discussion (oddly enough, in PRSI ...), re: Rye vs. Bourbon (and the Old Fashion)

I switched over from more traditional Angostura bitters, to their Orange bitters, that little additional citrus/orange hint is pretty fantastic, even if you're already (and you should be), using a little squeeze / garnish of orange peel. I've also been using light brown sugar, this great organic brand, that touch of molasses adds a nice extra layer. :cool:

Occasionally, I'll do a rye change up on an Old Fashion, especially if I go a little sweeter with the base. Yeah, I totally understand the rye preference on occasion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Sean__Wong

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2018
Bought two bottles,
First one disappeared too quickly

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I am not an expert but a have sampled a few quality single malts in my day. I like most of them to be honest but I think my favorite scotch is Oban 14. It is very smooth with very little smoke and spice. It also has some fruity notes which I do not get in many of the others I have tried. I recommend it.

Attachments

• Oban.jpg
    Oban.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 108

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Today, I am sampling Lagavulin 16 which I received as a gift. Very different from the Oban, which is my favorite but also very good. It's very peaty with moderate smoke. Lot's of subtle flavors. Recommended.

Attachments

• IMG_5423.jpg
    IMG_5423.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 111

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
I have really started enjoying whiskey over the last few years. According to some industry experts, they now see it fast becoming the new social drink and profits indicate this. Bourbon and whiskey companies are seeing accelerated growth in recent years because of the cost of other beverages.
So what is your favorites?
Here is mine.
crown.jpg
Jeffersons 30 year, Makers Mark 46

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
Had some Angel's Envy about a week ago.. A really nice and smooth bourbon. I think it was about US$50.00 per 500ml bottle. Too expensive for my regular sippin, but nice for a special occasion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.