Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
This may result in the first ever mass American -> Canada cross border shopping for liquor! ;)

Don't worry when eventually brexit happens prices will return to normal lol :rolleyes:
[automerge]1570626706[/automerge]
What's everyone's take on infinity bottles? I had a few bottles lying around with a few measures in each, so I've put them together and it's blending as we speak, may be my first and last try though

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Don't worry when eventually brexit happens prices will return to normal lol :rolleyes:
[automerge]1570626706[/automerge]
What's everyone's take on infinity bottles? I had a few bottles lying around with a few measures in each, so I've put them together and it's blending as we speak, may be my first and last try though
Are the bottles very old? if so the whisky will have done some de- oxidizing. It is a decent way to clear out some old bottles, but some take from fresh bottles when they do theirs.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Unwinding with Bulleit 10 year.

C7E03B74-FAAF-4EB5-90A5-3DDE90219ECF.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What Japanese whiskies would some of the whisky/whiskey lovers on this thread recommend?

I am reasonably knowledgeable about Scottish and Irish whiskies, and somewhat acquainted many of the good brands, but know next to nothing about Japanese whiskies.

BenAigen

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2014
Up a hill
What Japanese whiskies would some of the whisky/whiskey lovers on this thread recommend?

I am reasonably knowledgeable about Scottish and Irish whiskies, and somewhat acquainted many of the good brands, but know next to nothing about Japanese whiskies.

@Scepticalscribe - If you like a Speyside malt you should enjoy Japanese whisky, which is very similar in taste and character. But beware, many of their bottling are actually a blend of single malts from distilleries owned by the same Company. You can buy single malts but do your research before buying, read the small print on the label. Overall, a very nice whisky - cost for a good single malt will be £50+
[automerge]1575134251[/automerge]
Wonderful.

My heart warms to such a sight.
[/QUOTE)

Auto correct changed my dreich day to drench:D:D

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
@Scepticalscribe - If you like a Speyside malt you should enjoy Japanese whisky, which is very similar in taste and character. But beware, many of their bottling are actually a blend of single malts from distilleries owned by the same Company. You can buy single malts but do your research before buying, read the small print on the label. Overall, a very nice whisky - cost for a good single malt will be £50+
[automerge]1575134251[/automerge]

Well, that piece range doesn't surprise me, and is what I would expect to pay - if not more - in the circumstances; here, in the house at the moment, I have Yellow Spot and Bushmill's Single Pot Still Lustau Edition to hand.

As I age, I find that I have come to prefer and increasingly value the quality of smoothness in both wines - including ports and cognacs - and spirits; smoothness implies age, and that, in turn, costs money.

Reactions: BenAigen

BenAigen

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2014
Up a hill
Well, that piece range doesn't surprise me, and is what I would expect to pay - if not more - in the circumstances; here, in the house at the moment, I have Yellow Spot and Bushmill's Single Pot Still Lustau Edition to hand.

As I age, I find that I have come to prefer and increasingly value the quality of smoothness in both wines - including ports and cognacs - and spirits; smoothness implies age, and that, in turn, costs money.

Having recently reached my three score and ten, I absolutely agree with you. Quality comes first and even if it is expensive, it's certainly worth every penny.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Having recently reached my three score and ten, I absolutely agree with you. Quality comes first and even if it is expensive, it's certainly worth every penny.

Gosh, yes, quality over quantity any day. And this is something that one can appreciate more (and possibly afford more,) as you age, although I do look back an shudder at some of what my youthful palate deemed acceptable to consume.

Are there any particular Japanese whiskies that you can recommend as especially good and worth trying, savouring and sipping and sampling?

My preferences are for a marked smoothness - with Scottish whiskies, I have noticed that (if possible), I rarely drink anything under 14-15 years old, and will happily sample a whisky over twenty (or better, still, but, also, more expensive still, thirty) years old.

In ports, 20 years is my marked preference (and also marked that spot where quality and price tend to intersect), and - when my wallet permits - I tend to the same preference for brandies or cognacs.

BenAigen

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2014
Up a hill
Gosh, yes, quality over quantity any day. And this is something that one can appreciate more (and possibly afford more,) as you age, although I do look back an shudder at some of what my youthful palate deemed acceptable to consume.

Are there any particular Japanese whiskies that you can recommend as especially good and worth trying, savouring and sipping and sampling?

A little info: before I retired from the whisky industry in Scotland we were exporting over 1 millions litres of bulk blended malt whisky and about 1.5 million litres of bulk grain whiskies to Japan every year (this amount will be more today) Because of the very loose regulations by the whisky industry in Japan this imported whisky could be sold as Japanese and also sell it globally as Japanese. The Japanese use the scotch to blend with their own whiskies and sell it as Japanese. In Japan they are not technically doing anything illegal, but the established producers agree that consumers are confused and, at worse, are being deceived. If you notice now that there are no age statement on the bottles, so you could be drinking a mixture of ages and most likely a blend. Regulation in the Japan Spirit and Liqueurs Makers Association really needs to be tightened up, and quickly before they take a fall. So it is very difficult to actually find a real single malt, as I mentioned before, we must read the label very carefully.

Ok I hope these are all good (please check the labels before buying)

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 19.25.30.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 19.37.07.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 20.02.33.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 19.30.06.png

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008

My preferences are for a marked smoothness - with Scottish whiskies, I have noticed that (if possible), I rarely drink anything under 14-15 years old, and will happily sample a whisky over twenty (or better, still, but, also, more expensive still, thirty) years old.

In ports, 20 years is my marked preference (and also marked that spot where quality and price tend to intersect), and - when my wallet permits - I tend to the same preference for brandies or cognacs.

I’m not big on Japanese whiskey. Used to drink a ton of Scotch and I had a bad experience many years ago. Since then, no Scotch for me. Most Japanese whiskeys have Scotch like qualities. In any case, hare are a few bottles that I keep in my bar for friends. They are not super high end, but above average I think.

f2db0b35a39d6dd6d6ce2d78d9daceac.jpg

BenAigen

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2014
Up a hill
Bought myself 2 bottles of Mortlach 15 year old (£120 a bottle) just before christmas and now have a free afternoon to do some tasting. Mortlach is one of the many Dufftown Distilleries. Old saying up here on Speyside is that 'Rome was built on 7 hills, and Dufftown was built on 7 stills (distilleries).

This 15 year old is big and bold, very fruity, a muscular feeling about it and as good as the best of Macallan. This distillery doesn't release many bottling so if you do see one please try it, you will not be disappointed. I just love it. One of the well kept secrets of whisky. Sadly I don't think this is available in USA, but if you are an International traveller, check the Duty Free shops at airports, you just may land lucky.

IMG_6014.jpg

IMG_6019.jpg

IMG_6020.jpg

The latest release and the last of the Game of Thrones 6 Kingdoms limited edition.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Horse Soldier - 112 proof
A friend gave this to me, and I don't know much about it. I'm not a bourbon connoisseur, but this one is pretty good. Better than most I've tried. But that's not saying much. There's so many been posted here I haven't tried.
img_7101-jpg.894742

Attachments

• IMG_7101.jpg
    IMG_7101.jpg
    814.6 KB · Views: 243

BenAigen

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2014
Up a hill
Horse Soldier - 112 proof
A friend gave this to me, and I don't know much about it. I'm not a bourbon connoisseur, but this one is pretty good. Better than most I've tried. But that's not saying much. There's so many been posted here I haven't tried.
img_7101-jpg.894742

I like my whisky cask/barrel strength - only way to drink/taste it:).

Reactions: Ledsteplin

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Bought myself 2 bottles of Mortlach 15 year old (£120 a bottle) just before christmas and now have a free afternoon to do some tasting. Mortlach is one of the many Dufftown Distilleries. Old saying up here on Speyside is that 'Rome was built on 7 hills, and Dufftown was built on 7 stills (distilleries).

This 15 year old is big and bold, very fruity, a muscular feeling about it and as good as the best of Macallan. This distillery doesn't release many bottling so if you do see one please try it, you will not be disappointed. I just love it. One of the well kept secrets of whisky. Sadly I don't think this is available in USA, but if you are an International traveller, check the Duty Free shops at airports, you just may land lucky.

View attachment 891719

View attachment 891720

View attachment 891721

The latest release and the last of the Game of Thrones 6 Kingdoms limited edition.

Great post, and love the saying from Speyside - that occasioned a chuckle.

Will keep an eye out for Mortlach when I next float through a duty free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.