Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Current state of the library.

b595e631a9be899581bfecbd15660803.jpg
BOOM

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Had some Angel's Envy about a week ago.. A really nice and smooth bourbon. I think it was about US$50.00 per 500ml bottle. Too expensive for my regular sippin, but nice for a special occasion.
When I went though my whiskey discovery stage late in life, triggered by seeing every character in every TV/movie I watched holding a glass of whiskey ;), I initially imagined that a smooth bourbon would be the best, but I surprised myself with my reaction that smooth bourbons were relatively boring, and a little burn signified substance. I’m mostly settled on Wild Turkey 101 as my preferred whiskey for the few occasions I drink it.

These days I hardly drink at all. I have a six pack of Yingling in the fridge that I’m working on that has been there for a couple months now. ?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I’ve tried many different whiskeys both cheap and (fairly) expensive and always wondered why none seemed smooth like I have read about. Then a web search for smooth whiskeys came up with Evan Williams Bottled in Bond for a good inexpensive choice. For considerably less than most others this whiskey has no business being so SMOOTH. Wow! I’ll never go back to anything else.

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
This thread needs a resurrection! I'm a big fan of Japanese whiskeys. In fact, my dogs name is Yoichi ;)

I went for a distillery tour of the Yamazaki distillery in the winter of 2019 (just before the pandemic). Here was my tasting line up. The Yamazaki 25 was incredible. Unfortunately this formulation of the 25 is no longer available :(

Attachments

• tempImageMD8nNi.png
    tempImageMD8nNi.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 71

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
This thread needs a resurrection! I'm a big fan of Japanese whiskeys. In fact, my dogs name is Yoichi ;)

I went for a distillery tour of the Yamazaki distillery in the winter of 2019 (just before the pandemic). Here was my tasting line up. The Yamazaki 25 was incredible. Unfortunately this formulation of the 25 is no longer available :(

I’m jealous. The Yamazaki was always one of my favourites too, there’s a great Whiskey shop in Soho London which carries a lot of hard-to-get whiskeys.

Some of my favourites: The Dalwhinney Distillers Edition, Lagavullin 16 yo, Millstone 100 Rye.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’m going to ask, who prefers perfectly smooth whiskey vs a little burn going down? I don’t expect agreement, have mentioned this before, that some burn, my preference, reminds me, I’m drinking whiskey, and not whiskey flavored water. :D

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I’m going to ask, who prefers perfectly smooth whiskey vs a little burn going down? I don’t expect agreement, have mentioned this before, that some burn, my preference, reminds me, I’m drinking whiskey, and not whiskey flavored water. :D

Love smoky whisky, the ones that are like a bonfire in a glass, not a fan of the milder stuff lol!

AlphaMirage

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2023
For me, I prefer a perfectly smooth whiskey. While a smooth whiskey allows me to savor the intricate flavors and aromas, the gentle burn adds a touch of character and authenticity that reminds me I'm enjoying a true whiskey experience.

Additionally, it's great to see Yamazaki fans in this thread too, sharing their love for a remarkable brand that consistently delivers exceptional whiskies.

By the way, I'm always on the lookout for new whiskey recommendations. If anyone here has any suggestions for exceptional whiskies , I'd love to hear them!

Brachaci

Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
Slovakia
Oh I am so happy that I discovered this thread 😍😍. I love whisky and whiskey as well. One of my all time favorite is the Talisker 57 North, unfortunately it is not bottled anymore. But from the whiskeys which could be actually still purchased it is Kilchoman Sanaig, Ardbeg Corryvreckan, Talisker 18yo, The Whistler Dark Symphony and P.X. I love you, Elements of Islay Full proof but I am always happy to discover more and re-taste the previously tasted as it is always a bit different experience

Reactions: Silencio

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For me, I prefer a perfectly smooth whiskey. While a smooth whiskey allows me to savor the intricate flavors and aromas, the gentle burn adds a touch of character and authenticity that reminds me I'm enjoying a true whiskey experience.

Additionally, it's great to see Yamazaki fans in this thread too, sharing their love for a remarkable brand that consistently delivers exceptional whiskies.

By the way, I'm always on the lookout for new whiskey recommendations. If anyone here has any suggestions for exceptional whiskies , I'd love to hear them!
Agreed about the slight burn! :) My issue, if it is an issue us that I am cheap, I won’t spend $50+ on a bottle of whiskey, although I do spend $40 on a large bottle of Wild Turkey 101. I don’t drink it regularly either, so my consumption rate is very low and bottles age while in my keeping! ;)

Brachaci

Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
Slovakia
I’m going to ask, who prefers perfectly smooth whiskey vs a little burn going down? I don’t expect agreement, have mentioned this before, that some burn, my preference, reminds me, I’m drinking whiskey, and not whiskey flavored water.
For a long time I was mostly fan of strong smokey whiskies (Ledaig, Ardbeg, Octomore, Talisker etc.), I do not remember not liking a whisky from Islay, but nowadays I do like to check out different Sherry finishes, and can enjoy also mild, fruity tastes. Overall there aren’t much whiskeys I did not enjoy.

Reactions: Huntn

Brachaci

Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
Slovakia
Agreed, it may not be particularly refined but I do love the Jamesons!
Couple years ago I was on a blind test of Irish blended whiskeys under 20€ for a bottle and the results were very surprising to me. My at that time favorite Jameson finished last from overall six other brands. If I recall the lineup was Bushmills Original, Clontarf, Tullamore Dew, Kilbeggan, Dundalgan, Jameson and Paddy. It really makes a big difference if you do not know what you are tasting.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
A trip to Islay is on my bucket list, for sure. I do enjoy a good, peaty, smoky, single malt.

I hadn't ventured very far into Irish whiskey, aside from the usual Bushmills, Jameson, and Tullamore Dew. I recently bought and seriously enjoyed a bottle of Green Spot, and there are a few others that sounded interesting that I made note of somewhere.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I prefer a silky smooth scotch like an aged Oban, my favorite. I also enjoy a good smokey flavored scotch like an aged Lagavulin. However, I no not like burn ... to me it's a defining characteristic of a cheap and/or premature scotch.

Brachaci

Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
Slovakia
A trip to Islay is on my bucket list, for sure. I do enjoy a good, peaty, smoky, single malt.

I hadn't ventured very far into Irish whiskey, aside from the usual Bushmills, Jameson, and Tullamore Dew. I recently bought and seriously enjoyed a bottle of Green Spot, and there are a few others that sounded interesting that I made note of somewhere.
I enjoyed the Green Spot very much. I haven’t felt such vivid tastes of apples in any other drum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.