Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Most people still misunderstood about Mac gaming's future. Mac is already doomed for gaming. Dont expect too much about it especially since the market share for gaming on Mac is extremely low.
Doomed for AAA gaming, which is not the same as doomed for gaming.

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
Doomed for AAA gaming, which is not the same as doomed for gaming.
Doomed for all gamings. For example, Boot camp no longer works. How about indie games? Are there any native games? Beside, macOS is the worst platform for gaming and that's why many games like Genshin and Alien Isolation dont support macOS but iOS/iPadOS.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
A full third of my guild plays WoW on Mac, and we all bought M1s to do it.
Ha, that is dedication. I played WoW back in the day on my Mac. Got away from it, in part because at some point my gaming pad wasn't supported by a new version of MacOS. Non-WoW players probably won't know what I mean, but I bet you do. For those that don't know, to play WoW it helps if you can hit a bunch of different keys that are bound to about a dozen different abilities (maybe it was more like two dozen abilities or options) as well as WASD to move. And you need to be able to do all of them by touch typing. A keyboard will work fine. But what really works is a dedicated pad where all the keys are within easy reach of one hand and then a gaming mouse is in your other hand that also has a ton of buttons. I got used to that way of playing, then couldn't get the equipment to work with my Mac. So the game became harder for me to play well. So then I stopped.

Reactions: compwiz1202

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
The potential is there for this to change. There are people who only play games on Windows because they can’t on Mac.

I fall somewhere in there, but would likely still have a Windows PC for other reasons and exclusives (Xbox on PC).

It makes more sense for me to own a Mac if I could game on it. As it stands, the only thing my Windows machine can’t do is XCode and deployment to Apple’s App stores. The latter being questionable as to why it can’t be done from Windows using other IDEs. It’s not enough to justify the cost of a Mac computer.

On top of this is a more simple problem. I could just buy the cheapest Mac mini and do alright. But the type of work I want to do on it requires more than 16GB of RAM. The mini doesn’t support more than 16GB. I don’t want a laptop. The Mac studio is way to much to pay just for the additional 16GB (32GB total). I’d like a mini with a M1 Pro chip.

I digress… there is potential to expand Apple’s market share. Gaming is a huge market. Apple knows this by way of their games market on iOS. The Mac user audience could be much wider with better hardware, but more importantly, better efforts in convincing developers that Mac is a platform they should natively support.

I suspect your RAM issue is a somewhat temporary problem and that the next Mac mini will support 32gb. Though I suppose the existence of the Mac Studio might mean that Apple will just point to that. Apple really was supply constrained when it initially released the M1 and they couldn't dedicate chip fabrication to the niche group that needed 32gb but didn't also need something stronger than the original M1.

I think Apple will continue to deprioritize gaming. But that it will come. The Apple Laptops will sell in huge quantities in the US. Once there is a large enough number of them out there, each of them is a potential customer for game developers. The game developers will port the most successful titles to reach those customers. Once the Mac as a gaming device gets "enough" games, some group of PC Gamers will not upgrade their Gaming PC. Then they will buy the ported titles. That will encourage more ports, and the snowball continues to grow as it roles down hill.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
The potential is there for this to change. There are people who only play games on Windows because they can’t on Mac.
It has to be said, though, the barriers to non-Mac gaming are exceedingly low. Some of the tools I mentioned are free, Parallels is inexpensive and, though consoles are cost a bit (and some are hard to find ;), it can be said that’s the cost of the simplicity of the solution. And, using these methods, developers do nothing, users get the same games around the same release date (once the right configurations for the emulation/virtualization are discovered).

there is potential to expand Apple’s market share. Gaming is a huge market. Apple knows this by way of their games market on iOS. The Mac user audience could be much wider with better hardware, but more importantly, better efforts in convincing developers that Mac is a platform they should natively support.
So… I don’t think there’s potential to expand marketshare, at least not significantly. There’s an opportunity to make folks that already own a Mac and would like to play, say, Trackmania on it happier, but not having a game isn’t likely to lead to a non-Mac purchase. And, since half the folks buying Macs in a given year are new users, even if a million folks were like, “No, I HAVE to be able to game on my laptop.” There’s a few million that have never had a Mac before to come in and replace them. On iOS, there’s just a HUGE number of those devices out there. Do poorly and you could still do pretty well if you get a few whales interested in your game (and that can be said for PC as well, most AAA games include DLC).

If a game takes advantage of some special features of macOS that makes it truly unique and NOT cross-platform? A potential user would still be $699 and some additional hardware away from being able to experience it. So, that likely wouldn’t bring in enough NEW users to make a huge difference either (even if a developer was crazy enough to try). I mean… ok, if that ‘truly unique’ was more than just a fancier way of doing graphics on the same ol’ 2D screen. If this was the core required for what Apple wants to do with any AR/VR tech they have cooking up? Ok, I could see that. It still wouldn’t be Cyberpunk, but the Wii never had Cyberpunk (or many AAA titles at all?) and did pretty darn well. :D

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Gaming is an industry that requires some level of communication from multiple parties.

Unfortunately, a lot of parties seem unable to actually... respond, or acknowledge.

It is not just Apple however. When was the last time you saw Metro Exodus, Total War Rome Remastered, Baldur's Gate 3, even Farming Sim 2022, reviewed, reported on, by one of the Mac media websites, such as MacWorld?

When was the last time you heard of DEVOUR becoming M1 native, or Tails of Iron, or Neverwinter Nights? What about Myst? Timberborn? Stacklands? TUNIC?

What about Beseige being updated to 64 bit in January? Did you know that Desperados III is on Mac?
What about the recent Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe?

Perhaps MacRumors can contact Valve and ask for their plans about the Mac? Or Microsoft? Or Square Enix?
If there is a need that isn't filled, and you have the expertise, then there's your side earner idea right there.

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
I can only say great things about Feral Interactive. They're really doing a great job with their Mac ports and they're also super supportive when it comes to any issues. During the pandemic I played all 3 latest Tomb Raider games ported by them, running at basically maxed out settings on my Mac Pro and 30" Cinema Display at 1440p looking absolutely stunning.
Gaming – even Gaming on Macs – has come a long way… I still remember spending all summer as a child playing Tomb Raider 3 and 4 in ~1999 on my shiny new Grape iMac G3 with an awesome 333Mhz PPC ?

Luckily some of the greatest games have always been ported to the Mac and I am really thankful for that. Looking forward to Feral hopefully also porting the next, upcoming Tomb Raider to Mac, then for Apple Silicon. I shall be among the first to pre-order it from their store.

Haiku_Oezu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2016
I completely gave up on Mac gaming back in 2014 when I decided to just rock a companion gaming PC and haven’t looked back since and I honestly think I’ll keep going this way

But man if Apple Silicon doesn’t get me excited again about actually getting some kind of games.
Listen, Apple Silicon GPU’s will probably never trade blows with top end nVidia GPUs that consume 4 times as much power as an entire Mac Studio Ultra running at 100% but that’s fine - as long as they’re capable enough to run games decently I’m not gonna complain.

I’m always going to have my PC by my side to do some serious gaming but if I can kill time on my Mac with stuff like city builders and other not so demanding games? I’m all for it.

Also its stupid.. but it’s making me nostalgic of the PowerPC days when running windows was not an option and Mac gaming was this scrappy little community that waited eagerly for the likes of Aspyr and Feral to drop a hot new port, as well as a few indie Mac only games.
Now that we’re going to need ports again it all feels very familiar in a good way. Ultimately it will mean less games cause a company can’t just slap the windows executable inside a Cedega wrapper and call it a Mac port but honestly I’ll take less games that are actually ported rather than more games that barely work.

I was never a fan of Wine/Cedega/Cider/whatever they rebranded themselves into releases and I’m glad they’re no longer an option

Reactions: tubular

Nugat Trailers

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2021
Doomed for all gamings. For example, Boot camp no longer works. How about indie games? Are there any native games? Beside, macOS is the worst platform for gaming and that's why many games like Genshin and Alien Isolation dont support macOS but iOS/iPadOS.

Yes, about 700 or so on Steam, which only started supporting uploading native/universal titles in September.

Reactions: EntropyQ3 and Homy

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Beside, macOS is the worst platform for gaming and that's why many games like Genshin and Alien Isolation dont support macOS but iOS/iPadOS.
That is incorrect. Alien Isolation was first released for Mac in 2015 and is still being sold and playable on Apple Silicon via Rosetta. It wasn't released for iOS until 6 months ago, 6 years later.

That list is a lie. People are getting ~20fps with MBA M1 at 1080 ultra (highest preset) and not 38fps.

Incorrect! The list is not a lie, just that particular result which doesn't make the whole list a lie. It's also easy to see the error compared to the other results. All other numbers for the different M1 chips seem to be correct.

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2022-05-07 kl. 05.58.04.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-05-07 kl. 05.58.04.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Reactions: Canubis

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
The performance scales well when the code is using Metal. If the code is going through a couple of inefficient translation layers first, then no, it’s not going to scale well :) For applications that properly utilize Metal, developers see a significant increase in performance and that’s even BEFORE they tweak and optimize for further performance.

BUT, those developers are not writing entertainment applications that, to some degree, have to be as cross platform as possible in order to maximize investment.

It seems to scale well to a point but not beyond 48 cores.

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2022-05-07 kl. 06.17.53.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-05-07 kl. 06.17.53.png
    454.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Skärmavbild 2022-05-07 kl. 06.18.20.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-05-07 kl. 06.18.20.png
    387.3 KB · Views: 54

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2009
Fortunately for me, I only play CRPGs. Don't need a PC or a next-gen console.
This is actually a key point.
Some games and game types are a better fit for the Apple Mac demographic than others. Smart publishers will look at their catalog and upcoming titles and not necessarily make one size fits all decisions.
(But there is also the concerning fact that platform holders increasingly purchase game publishers in order to strengthen the platform. In these cases, the strategic AAA games will never be multi platform.)

In the thread about Total War: Warhammer III, it was demonstrated that at this point in time 40% of Mac users on Steam are already on Apple Silicon. That's an astoundingly quick transition, which reduces the support effort going forward. It also reinforces that the number of systems sold is high by Apples standards, we may be approaching an installed base of 40 million or so.

* AS Macs sell at a brisk pace, and they sell to a group of people that might buy and install their own software, as opposed to the huge volumes of Windows systems sold to administrations.
* However, while Apple Macs sell to a buying demographic, the people they sell to do not prioritize playing games on their Macs, but buy it out of preference and primarily for something else. (Chicken and egg problem.) Those that do care about a wide game library have access to some other platform(s) for the purpose.
* But - these users did prefer the Mac, or they wouldn't have bought it over a Windows system. So if the kind of games that they like for entertainment were available for the Mac, they might not only buy it for the system, but actively choose titles that support their preferred platform.

So there is some complexity to this. Ultimately these decisions are made in board rooms based on ROI, so there needs to be a healthy user base that actually buys the games. If the volume just isn't there, or they preferentially buy their games on other platforms, then the business case is obviously weak. At this point in time, as the volume is building, a publisher has to be willing to take a risk.

No5tromo

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
I played the full Alien Isolation on M1 7-core GPU MBA, in full HD it was excellent, QHD was OK but 4K was pushing it. Still impressive if you ask me.

Reactions: Homy

WLSON

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2021
An exercise in futility given the availability of services like Nvidia's GFN and Google Stadia.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Hardware power and capabilities are almost never the issue here.

Also, amazing and powerful hardware ≠ great games

(See: Nintendo)

For some aspects of gaming it sure is. The Switch makes compromises in heavier games when it cones to graphics details compared to the stronger consoles and PC/Windows.

But what exactly is the problem you think? I’ve also been thinking why the Nintendo Switch has so much more “console class” games compared to iPhone and iPad where the majority are more of the “mobile game” type. This all the while an iPad with a game controller hardware wise makes it even stronger than a Switch.

The Metal API has been out for many years and is capable enough. What is missing to make an iPad more of a Switch rival? ?

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
See my in-depth analysis of how Apple Silicon will change gaming on macOS:

So after 1.5 years so half of the 3 years you predicted hardly any new AAA game made it's way to MacOS and gaming on MacOS hasn't improved at all.
Also my Vivobook Pro 15 with an RTX 3050 which was cheaper than a base Macbook Air with 8gb RAM and 256gb storage(the Vivibook has 16Gb RAM and 1Tb storage) can honestly play games better than any Macbook.

Last edited:

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
So after 1.5 years so half of the 3 years you predicted hardly any new AAA game made it's way to MacOS and gaming on MacOS hasn't improved at all.
Also my Vivobook Pro 15 with an RTX 3050 which was cheaper than a base Macbook Air with 8gb RAM and 256gb storage(the Vivibook has 16Gb RAM and 1Tb storage) can honestly play games better than any Macbook.
Give it time. We should start seeing more and more AAA games on AS Macs starting in 2023 and beyond.

• Haha
Reactions: mi7chy

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
That is incorrect. Alien Isolation was first released for Mac in 2015 and is still being sold and playable on Apple Silicon via Rosetta. It wasn't released for iOS until 6 months ago, 6 years later.

Incorrect! The list is not a lie, just that particular result which doesn't make the whole list a lie. It's also easy to see the error compared to the other results. All other numbers for the different M1 chips seem to be correct.
Rosetta 2 is NOT a native version and I was very clear about that.

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
More cores does not equal more better.

You’re giving too much credit to those extra cores. The single threaded performance is where it counts and from standard to Ultra, every variation is nearly the same on single threaded performance.

Idk if you’re referring to 3070 desktop or mobile. Completely different capabilities there. The desktop part is way beyond the 6800M. Even if your numbers were accurate. You’re still saying 16%+18% = 34% slower than a mid-range GPU. Which isn’t impressive. Especially for desktop form computers like the mini or iMac.

Good luck getting games developed with Apple Silicon in mind. Without Apple putting any effort into it, it’s never going to happen. So any potential that is there is wasted from a gaming perspective.
Not just this but gaming performance in general can't be based on single game.
If you look at sites that compare GPUs they use +10 games at least(and different resolutions) and there's always difference on a per game basis. For example an Nvidia GPU will never be exactly 20% faster than it's AMD counterpart no matter the game.

Theo Moon

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2017
Why should they sue apple?
That’s just it, they shouldn’t but they should do something. This dev is making intel look bad for what could be an apple issue. Intel has been laying around doing nothing for long enough. Intel is just starting to get it together and need to keep the momentum going.

Keep moving forward. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.