Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Supposedly Apple bought 20m M1 chips from TSMC, I recall reading some time ago. That means that they have sold as many M1’s in a year and a half as the entire amount of PS5’s sold to date.
100% of PS5’s were purchased to play games. I doubt even half of those Macs were purchased, primarily, to play games.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I’m playing mists of Pandaria on the m1 MacBook Air at 4K60FPS medium-high settings. This is at around 50-60°C (being the MBA fan-less), and using WINE to emulate this older expansion of the game (32/64bit).

I created a YT channel where I test games on the M1 MacBook Air, just to see what this machine is capable of, and it’s quite amazing!
Why emulate when Blizz has a native Apple Silicone client though? Oh wait, you’re playing on a no-no server, aren’t you?

mielie

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2020
Sim City 4 Deluxe just got an update on the App Store and now can run natively on M1/M2 Macs. Not a Feral game, but nice to see that some developers are updating their library.

Would love to see some other titles on the App Store get a native update, especially Civilization and the Metro series.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
My $750 gaming laptop runs some games better than a MB Pro M1 Max. I think that Apple should release a Macbook Ultra with a M1 Ultra and Rtx 3080. That would be a great start for gaming on MacOs.
YES even if they had every game, the hardware is still 3-4x as expensive. I may not be able to Ultra everything, but I can still play with decent graphics. Plus way more money for the actual games

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
YES even if they had every game, the hardware is still 3-4x as expensive. I may not be able to Ultra everything, but I can still play with decent graphics. Plus way more money for the actual games
Plus it’s not really a hardware issue. Nintendo Switch gets more games and its GPU is a joke. I can play current gen games on a GTX 1080.

Even if Apple created a GPU that rivals what we expect a RTX 6090 to be, it still wouldn’t matter. Consoles and Windows are a priority due to the marketshare and game library.

As a game dev, this is why I focus on windows and NOT macOS. 4090, 5090 or 6090 level of performance on a Mac changes nothing in that regard.

As a gamer, I’m not giving up my 500 game library on Steam by using a Mac as my only gaming system. It will be 10+ years AT BEST to see things change.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
As a gamer, I’m not giving up my 500 game library on Steam by using a Mac as my only gaming system. It will be 10+ years AT BEST to see things change.
I wonder how much longer the current version of Windows will support 32-bit software?

We'll see what happens with Apple Silicon Macs and gaming. I think there is a chance it will work thinking of Apple's Metal improvements. As long as a game on similarly performing hardware isn't too far from the same game in Windows that is.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
We'll see what happens with Apple Silicon Macs and gaming. I think there is a chance it will work thinking of Apple's Metal improvements. As long as a game on similarly performing hardware isn't too far from the same game in Windows that is.

Capcom just released RE Village Winter Expansion for Mac.

Reactions: star-affinity

dr.zeissler

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
I bought my M1 mini in 2020 and ever since feral did not release an update for the 64Bit intel games. I would buy a native and controller fixed version on the MAS, I don't think steam will be the future of mac gaming. But it seems that feral went the same way all the other porters did...they just quit mac gaming!

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
Apple need to start making changes if they want any developers to believe they're vaguely interested in gaming on Mac. I can't see it happening.

• Sad
Reactions: opeter and iLuddite

Nugat Trailers

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2021
They're doing a really weird way of announcing it, then. Last news post on their website was on the 16th of April, announcing patch 1.4 for Sid Meiers Railroads iOS, and there's still careers listed on the website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.