Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I want to know when the digital version will be available for download. I heard its a huge download but I am curious to watch it on my 1G internet connection!

edit: I know its the 10th but curious as to exact time.
In the past on the PS4, I have been able to purchase games like this and it does the download now, and the game is not playable (locked somehow) until the release date. I have not checked yet, but do you see it available for purchase now in the PS Store? I would check myself now, but the latest Safari update seems to have borked the PS Store for me.

Edit: I just prepurchased on the PS4 and it is downloading (85GB). Says playable April 9.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhoenixDown

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
In the past on the PS4, I have been able to purchase games like this and it does the download now, and the game is not playable (locked somehow) until the release date. I have not checked yet, but do you see it available for purchase now in the PS Store? I would check myself now, but the latest Safari update seems to have borked the PS Store for me.

Edit: I just prepurchased on the PS4 and it is downloading. Says playable April 9.

Interesting! The website says released April 10. That's nice that you'd be able to play a day early.

Reactions: Weaselboy

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I want to know when the digital version will be available for download. I heard its a huge download but I am curious to watch it on my 1G internet connection!

edit: I know its the 10th but curious as to exact time.

pre-download is usually 24hrs before release. And then the game will "unlock" at midnight.

I'm at 16 hours now. Loving it so much... Really loving the fighting mechanics, I was bummed the "classic mode" isn't really old school classic but the new normal mode is a lot of fun.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
it has been restocked from amazon just have to check every once in a while

I would *not* buy any from scalpers, regular or special edition.

Thanks! I just bought it for $60. I completely agree about encouraging scalping behavior.

I thought I was done with Final Fantasy but they've dragged me back. :)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Thanks! I just bought it for $60. I completely agree about encouraging scalping behavior.

I thought I was done with Final Fantasy but they've dragged me back. :)

reselling a used copy for a little discount is one thing. gouging people who are impatient bc the hype and/or quarantine pisses me off.

I may even sell mine when I beat it if I beat it in a timely manner and there isn't much else to do / not interested in side quests as much but for like $45-50. For reusable funds for another purchase down the road. The beauty of going physical... and then pick it up later when its on sale digitally way down the road or price drops like it does on almost all new games in a short period of time inevitably.

I'm about 7 or so hours in, and on chapter 7 or 8? and loving it so far. So great!

really glad I revisited the original with the first 4 hours of a play through on YouTube the week prior.

HIGHLY recommend doing this while waiting, so you get all the little references/lines/soundtrack/ and discern what's added content.. beyond following the general plot arc:

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I'm 37 hours in now, getting near the end. Weird feeling. I want to play a lot because I love the game, and I don't want to play because I don't want it to end...

Reactions: tshrimp

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I'm not going to lie. When I first fired up the demo I only had a few minutes to to play and I was annoyed that the combat felt more like an action game and not the turn based combat of the original. When I had time to sit down and play properly it didn't take me long to really like it.

HIGHLY recommend doing this while waiting, so you get all the little references/lines/soundtrack/ and discern what's added content.. beyond following the general plot arc:

I remember the music 100% (because I still listen to it) but I've forgotten 95% of the plot! Not a bad idea. Thanks!

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
Wanting a PC version. I have a PS4, but not buying much new for it with the new systems coming out. Plus I enjoy gaming on an ultrawide monitor. Still trying to decide which new console to get when they come out. I really like game pass from Microsoft, but the PlayStation exclusives are currently better IMO.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Finished the game at 41 hours. Currently did three chapters in hard mode, and they didn't lie, it's hard mode :) Need to focus a lot more and play way better. You can't use items and a bench doesn't replenish your MP, bosses hit way harder and get new abilities. For example: the first scorpion boss heals itself in the last phase of the fight. Had to save up all my limits and ATB when he was staggered to kill him. My dps wasn't high enough to kill him normally as he would heal more than I did damage...

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Had to save up all my limits and ATB when he was staggered to kill him.

Meanwhile I'm at the n00b stage where I'm distracted by all the pretty colors and am just smashing the "attack" button when I remember once in a while I can do special attacks also.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Meanwhile I'm at the n00b stage where I'm distracted by all the pretty colors and am just smashing the "attack" button when I remember once in a while I can do special attacks also.
Don't worry, everyone started like that :) A few tips: use L1+square/circle/etc to quickly use abilities, and when you've mastered that: use L1 and then press L2/R2 to access other characters their abilities mapped. You can change the the mapping in the settings. I used a similar mapping for most characters.
L1 + triangle = cura
L1 + circle = heavy dmg abilit
L1 + square = stagger ability
L1 + X = a certain magic that I need on a boss that raped me a couple of times.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I'm three hours into the game and it just feels so epic. It hits the nostalgia buttons while also feeling like something completely new. A lot of times I'll find myself just slowly walking around looking at the details of the environment.

Don't worry, everyone started like that :) A few tips: use L1+square/circle/etc to quickly use abilities, and when you've mastered that: use L1 and then press L2/R2 to access other characters their abilities mapped. You can change the the mapping in the settings. I used a similar mapping for most characters.
L1 + triangle = cura
L1 + circle = heavy dmg abilit
L1 + square = stagger ability
L1 + X = a certain magic that I need on a boss that raped me a couple of times.

Last night I used L1 + circle for the first time (for healing).

Reactions: BlankStar

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
To be 100% honest one of the reasons I wasn't enthusiastic when I heard they were remaking this game is that I wasn't sure if I could go back to random encounters over and over again. Well that sure isn't the case. I know I've only scratched the surface of it but even already I'm loving the combat system.

Reactions: BlankStar

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Just finished chapter 3. I love this game so much!
I finished Chapter 8 on hard yesterday. Boss fights are so awesome now, can't make a lot of mistakes or it's Game Over. Need to take a 5 minute break to calm down and a cloth to wipe the sweat of my Dual Shock after a big fight. :-D

Reactions: windrider42

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I keep finding myself just standing still and slowly moving the camera around to soak up the environment. The detail in this game is incredible.

I finished Chapter 8 on hard yesterday. Boss fights are so awesome now, can't make a lot of mistakes or it's Game Over. Need to take a 5 minute break to calm down and a cloth to wipe the sweat of my Dual Shock after a big fight. :-D

You just talked me out of playing hard mode.

Reactions: compwiz1202

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I keep finding myself just standing still and slowly moving the camera around to soak up the environment. The detail in this game is incredible.

You just talked me out of playing hard mode.

hard mode is awesome. Hell House was really hell. Took me 20 tries to bring it down on hard mode, but that feeling of accomplishment when you do... It's awesome. I was prancing in the living room like I just won gold in the olympics and my girlfriend was making fun of me.
Currently finished chapter 11 on hard. Loving it a lot. (65 hrs playtime atm)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.