Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I don't remember where the first disc ended, but that's generally true. They took what was a small portion of the story in the original and expanded it into a full game. Almost all of the new game takes place around Midgar if I remember correctly.
I still have the save, I am assuming my PS1 memory card still works, but I no longer have the game to play on my PS2 Slim (I never bought the PS1).

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I started again to play, back in November when I got a PS5. I’m now at 97 hours and I’m super super stuck at the Pride & Joy challenge. I’ve been doing so much that Shiva / Fat Chocobo / Leviathan is piece of cake. But Bahamut 😮😮😮 this is a tough MOFO. I’m struggling to follow that video of the guy who finished the challenge in less that 10 minutes. I wrote down every actions, line by line but I can’t prevent Ifrit to appear. And then I just die.

FF7R PRIDE & JOY

YouTube video

Gear

Tifa (as main)

Metal Knuckles / Chain Bangle / Fury Ring

Elemental + Lightening / ATB Stagger + ATB Assist / Luck Up + Luck Up / Fat Chocobo

Magnify + Time / Skill Master + Parry

Cloud

Mythril Saber / Force Bracelet / Fury Ring

Elemental + Lightening / Fire + Refocus / Mp Up + Mp Up / Bahamut

First Strike + ATB Stagger / Skill Master + Refocus

Aerith

Mythril Rod / Force Bracelet / Fury Ring

ATB Boost + Lightening / Fire + Ice / Mp Up + Mp Up / Leviathan

First Strike + Skill Master / Magic Up + Magic Up

Shiva

Firaga (C)
  • Firaga (A)
  • Run, run, run to build up ATB (T)
  • Stop (T)
  • Firaga (C)
  • Arcane Ward on Cloud (A)
  • Firaga (A)
  • Stop (T)
  • Once staggered, True Strike, Dive Kick

Fat Chocobo
  • Firaga (C)
  • Blizzaga (A)
  • Kick, kick, kick, Focus Strike after Blizzaga filled the gauge (T)
  • Once staggered, True Strike (T)
  • Thundaga, ATB Boost (A)
  • Arcane Ward on Cloud (A)
  • Kick, kick, kick (T)
  • Firaga (A)
  • True Strike (T)
  • Thundaga (A)
  • Dive Kick (T)
  • Firaga (C)

Leviathan

• Run to the side (T)
  • Thundaga on Dorsal Fin (A)
  • Thundaga on Dorsal Fin (C)
  • 4 or 5 Thundaga to pressure him
  • Switch character at different distances to delay Leviathan
  • Once pressured, Focus Strike, Focus Strike, Focus Strike (T)
  • Save ATB (C & A)
  • Once staggered, True Strike (T)
  • Thundaga (C & A)
  • Dive Kick (T)

Bahamut

- Firaga (C)

- Run to the side (T)

- Arcane Ward on Cloud (A)

- Run until Cloud hits with Firaga then move to build up ATB (T)

- Go to Arcane Ward, Thundaga (T)

- Go to Arcane Ward, Thundaga (C)

- Kick kick kick, ATB Boost, Firaga (A)

- Kick kick kick (T)

- Unbrindled Strength (T)

- Once pressured, build ATB rather than use it (T)

- Once HP bar is at “m” in Bahamut, run away

- Once Bahamut casts Umbral Aura, run to Arcane Ward & cast -aga (C, A, T)

- Once pressured, move to attack him (T)

- Firaga (A)

- Dive Kick (T)

- Firaga (A)

I might go back to my classic strategy because it worked on PS4.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Can't wait. FF7 is one of my favorites and I really enjoyed part 1 of the remake. I download stuff but 2 discs!

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Well, after a long hiatus, I’m back on FF7R!

I needed to finish the game in Hard and I struggled a lot on Sephiroth, much more than Pride & Joy. But I managed to beat him after 10 attempts!

IMG_7518.jpeg

Now I still need to finish some quests and then start the add-on.

Hopefully that’s enough time before Rebirth is released. Next year in March, maybe?

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Got my Platinum trophy, YAY! Took me 118 hours. I still have one manuscript missing, Barret’s resolution & INTERmission.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Got my play log completed…almost! What’s missing is an enemy that shows up after completing INTERmission, I suppose:

IMG_7532.jpeg

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I managed to beat Weiss, now my Play Log is complete! It took me 123 hours but I still have INTERmission.

IMG_7548.jpeg

Weiss was tough, there are plenty of videos on YouTube, they explain but they can’t make you understand.

It’s all about dodging his attacks at the right time and kick him half a second after. Lots of attempts to succeed. Then, you can follow a similar strategy with all the bosses based on Arcane Ward and a lot of magic attacks and True Strike.

I’m very surprised how these YouTubers crack the game like that, they must have direct connection with devs or they found a loophole in the game design.

Seriously how can they beat Weiss in a minute and find out the right timing & actions & combos to do it?

Last edited:

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I finally finished INTERmisson, oh boy did I struggled with Bahamut, Ramuh and P&J!! I tried like 100 times. Got lucky for once, many time I died while ennemies needed one kick. Defeating P&J was epic: Sonon died, Yuffie 1 HP and thank god Ramuh did his Judgement Bolt ! Here is a little video of Bahamut, he got destro like a little girl héhé.

IMG_0021.jpeg

Reactions: delsoul

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Lots of positive reviews. I won't buy it first day because of traveling abroad but maybe when I'm back...I would love to see the ULTIMANIA guide like we had for the Remake, it was an excellent companion to finish the game at 100%.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I’ve got already 7 hours of playtime and the game is absolutely fantastic. The map is so huge, it’s at first overwhelming. I think I’ll need 200 hours to finish it.

It’s so beautiful and there so many things to do.

Honestly, it’s the closest I felt since discovering the original game in 1997.

Very amazed by what they managed to create.

Anyone else playing Rebirth?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yeah, I'm playing when I have free time. It's been years since I played the original and I've forgotten some of it, but there are definitely new parts to the story this time around.

I'm at 30-something hours so I'll say no more since I don't want to spoil anything. I've been careful not to let YouTube know I'm playing it so as to not get spoiler video recommendations!

Reactions: MisterSavage

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Yeah, I'm playing when I have free time. It's been years since I played the original and I've forgotten some of it, but there are definitely new parts to the story this time around.

I'm at 30-something hours so I'll say no more since I don't want to spoil anything. I've been careful not to let YouTube know I'm playing it so as to not get spoiler video recommendations!
It's a minefield out there when you want to learn about a new game but avoid spoilers.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I agree but for avoiding spoilers, only one thing: don’t type the game name anywhere!

I actually use a walkthrough (powerpyx) and I’m amazed how they put so fast the content.

I always use strategy guides, the one for the Remake was a real encyclopedia. I’ve heard one will be released for Rebirth in Japan. I’ll try to get it in English.

I’m still at Chapter 2, doing all the intel & challenges & side quests. Really enjoying them and still feel overwhelmed by the combat system. It’s quite addictive, come on one last quest, haha.

I wonder if they sold a lot of copies.

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I always use strategy guides, the one for the Remake was a real encyclopedia. I’ve heard one will be released for Rebirth in Japan. I’ll try to get it in English.
There was a "mini guide" included with FF12 and it prompted me to buy the big one. It was great. Then I bought the FF13 one (same publisher) sight unseen... and it was useless.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It's a minefield out there when you want to learn about a new game but avoid spoilers.
YouTube, out of the blue, just decided to recommend a video called "FF7 Rebirth: [character] boss fight". I had no idea that that character would become a boss. Argh.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
YouTube, out of the blue, just decided to recommend a video called "FF7 Rebirth: [character] boss fight". I had no idea that that character would become a boss. Argh.
I had to turn off news stories being shown in Google search because I was seeing similar things!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.