Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
congrats to 840quadra on 4 million points!

congrats to 206pilot on 5 million points!

congrats to ChristianFAH on 40 million points!

congrats to SciFrog on 50 million points!

congrats to rwh202 on 200 million points!

our team is doing great! keep it up!

Now that's a big party here ... :D
299 all together :cool:

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
For some strange reason, this thread has given me a wild hair to join the effort. *runs off to look and see what to do*

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
For some strange reason, this thread has given me a wild hair to join the effort. *runs off to look and see what to do*

Welcome SumoHamster,

You would follow a long tradition of pets in our group ... We see in the user list WhiteRabbits, Frogs, Lizards, bunnies and pandas ... Hopefully we can add a hamster soon.:D

And if you have any question just drop a note: some helping "animal keeper" will get you running.

If not yet done you need to download some software from here .
Depend on your hardware you can fold with CPU and also GPU (Nvidia and AMD).
Sadly no GPU folding with Mac OS; only Windows and Linux.

During installation you are asked to enter a team number. That would be 3446.
And register/enter a passkey to qualify for higher bonus after 10 successful work units.

Last edited:

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
Welcome SumoHamster,

Depend on your hardware you can fold with CPU and also GPU (Nvidia and AMD).
Sadly no GPU folding with Mac OS; only Windows and Linux.

Thank you for the very helpful information! Is GPU folding better/faster? I happen to have a PC here next to my Mac that is not used much :)

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Thank you for the very helpful information! Is GPU folding better/faster? I happen to have a PC here next to my Mac that is not used much :)

A PC would be perfect for driving a GPU!

If you have an nVidia Kepler card you can do Core17 projects that qualify for quick return bonuses (vs regular points) and I think AMD 5500 and higher also do the trick; under Windows only for both, (and also under Linux for nVidia cards -- Christian can help you here).

I just run GPUs, turn of CPU folding (delete slot after competing the first work unit) because CPU folding only really makes sense at the really high end. (bigadv work units that require a minimum of 16 real or virtual cores and a decent clock speed running 24/7 -- 2p and 4p high end Xeons on the intel side, and 4 p AMD opteron socket F or socket G34)

let us know what you have and we'll figure something out!

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
These 8018 units are terrible! I only got 28k for the last couple days with 2 titans!

for sure they are brutal :eek:

don't know why there are so many of them all of a sudden. interestingly, the AMD cards have always gotten 8900s even though the nVidia card is pulling 8018s...

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Went back to the Beta flags so maybe now will change it. One card got a x17 8900 unit now.

Have you gotten any more core_17?

I saw my PPD tank whilst I was away for the weekend and feared I'd come back to a few crashed computers, but they were just stuck on core_15. That was with a mix of normal, advanced and beta flags. My AMD are still getting 8900 too, so they obviously still exist!

And yeah, 200Mi points - not too shabby, but looking for 1Mi PPD next year...

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本

I saw my PPD tank whilst I was away for the weekend and feared I'd come back to a few crashed computers, but they were just stuck on core_15. That was with a mix of normal, advanced and beta flags. My AMD are still getting 8900 too, so they obviously still exist!

What projects based on log file you fetched ? There are three new projects for Core 15 ... In beta right now.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio

And yeah, 200Mi points - not too shabby, but looking for 1Mi PPD next year...
Well I came home today and just checked, they both are on x17 and have been folding core 17 since last night. I got rid of the advanced tag and replaced with beta again. Checked the website and they are counting for points. Est. 32k for each credit. 2 WU are showing 64k points.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Not a breaking record but I managed to get the same number of finished WU as our team number is :D

image.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.