Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
So I finally upgraded to iOS 7 (7.1 actually), and my fears were justified. It's too bright and the pastel colors about make me puke. I dislike the flat icons too. I think Apple ruined the Calendar app but thankfully they brought back an iOS 6 feature for it with iOS 7.1. Seems to me though that all the white screens do nothing but reduce battery life, due to the pixels being on so much. Because if I understand it correctly, white pixels use more power, while a black pixel is essentially off.

I wish Apple with learn what people people really want before changing things. Because change for the sake of change isn't always a good thing. And clearly with iOS 7, they copied Windows and android phones. Apple has stopped being an innovator and become a follower.

J.gerbes

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
So I finally upgraded to iOS 7 (7.1 actually), and my fears were justified. It's too bright and the pastel colors about make me puke. I dislike the flat icons too. I think Apple ruined the Calendar app but thankfully they brought back an iOS 6 feature for it with iOS 7.1. Seems to me though that all the white screens do nothing but reduce battery life, due to the pixels being on so much. Because if I understand it correctly, white pixels use more power, while a black pixel is essentially off.

I wish Apple with learn what people people really want before changing things. Because change for the sake of change isn't always a good thing. And clearly with iOS 7, they copied Windows and android phones. Apple has stopped being an innovator and become a follower.

You're wrong about the pixels. As Apple uses IPS display technology, white pixels use the least amount of power, with black using the most.

Reason for this is that a white pixel is essentially off, just allowing the backlight (which is always on regardless) to shine through. Black pixels do the opposite, having the pixel work to block out the backlight.

If you're not happy, switch to android? Not much for it. Everyone else either loves the deign or has gotten used to it.

But as they say, 10% of the people making 90% of the noise, right?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
You're wrong about the pixels. As Apple uses IPS display technology, white pixels use the least amount of power, with black using the most.
I didn't know this, thanks!

Maybe it's true that more people like iOS 7 than not, but then again maybe the majority of iPhone users now are young people. I'm older and more professional and prefer my devices to reflex that. So yes, when my contract is up later this year, it might me time for me to say goodbye to the iPhone. I like a bigger screen anyway.

Oh, one more thing, I really dislike how the App Store app Updates keeps a record. It's not needed and takes up memory, plus it could end up being 100's of app records.

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK

Maybe it's true that more people like iOS 7 than not, but then again maybe the majority of iPhone users now are young people. I'm older and more professional and prefer my devices to reflex that. So yes, when my contract is up later this year, it might me time for me to say goodbye to the iPhone. I like a bigger screen anyway.

Oh, one more thing, I really dislike how the App Store app Updates keeps a record. It's not needed and takes up memory, plus it could end up being 100's of app records.

The record is there because of the automatic app updates. It only keeps something like a month of updates and probably takes up a few KB at most. :confused:

J.gerbes

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012

A bigger screen will obviously be coming to the iPhone with the 6. Maybe just hold off until iOS 8, who knows... Apple may dazzle us.

As for the updates, I consider this to be a non-issue for several reasons. Firstly, I bought a 64GB iPhone, so space is not a concern for me. Second, I have had iOS since its June 2013 inception in beta form and it is only showing update history dated back to 13 March 2014. And finally, close the App Store app (properly, from multitasking) then reopen it. Notice how the update history images take a moment to load? Pretty sure that means they are redownloaded from the server, not stored on the device.

In any case, were fussing over mere megabytes here.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
A bigger screen will obviously be coming to the iPhone with the 6. Maybe just hold off until iOS 8, who knows... Apple may dazzle us.
I hope you're right. I had an iPhone 3G, 4 and 5. I'd like to stay with an iPhone because I have a not invested in Apps.

I hope the new iPhone is simpler and less cluttered.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

I love when people play the "professional" card. What exactly is a professional phone? The oversized Samsung line or the dead in the water Blackberry line?

Sorry forgot the 10MP Camera of the Nokia Lumia line with its bright yellow color.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Only the last 2 weeks of updates are listed there, and while there might not be any need for it for some and it's inconvenient that there's no option to change it, as far as any resources are concerned, there's really nothing worthwhile to worry about.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I love when people play the "professional" card. What exactly is a professional phone?
I was speaking more to the pastel color scheme. It's designed for a younger crowd. I also use a very conservative case (in black), for my iPhone.

I can't really fault Apple for their design changes, because it's all about the money now and not about changing the world. But when the iPhone first started out, it was a very professional looking phone/iOS and appealed to the professional business community.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013

I know numerous people who have iPhones and they either hate iOS 7 or are indifferent towards. Not a single person that I know loves it or likes it better than iOS 6.

Most people who defend iOS 7 hide behind the device usage/adoption rates but that doesn't determine satisfaction whatsoever. If Apple gave an option to downgrade to iOS 6, then you could see who actually likes iOS 7. And believe me, a lot would.

I love Apple, I have been stood behind them and have defended them on several occasions but they are not perfect, they can screw up every so often. What Jony Ive did to iOS is inexcusable and his take on UI "design" has lowered my respect for him somewhat but he still designs incredible hardware so he's still vital to Apple. He just needs to focus on what he does best and let a professional take over software design.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I know numerous people who have iPhones and they either hate iOS 7 or are indifferent towards. Not a single person that I know loves it or likes it better than iOS 6.

Most people who defend iOS 7 hide behind the device usage/adoption rates but that doesn't determine satisfaction whatsoever. If Apple gave an option to downgrade to iOS 6, then you could see who actually likes iOS 7. And believe me, a lot would.

I love Apple, I have been stood behind them and have defended them on several occasions but they are not perfect, they can screw up every so often. What Jony Ive did to iOS is inexcusable and his take on UI "design" has lowered my respect for him somewhat but he still designs incredible hardware so he's still vital to Apple. He just needs to focus on what he does best and let a professional take over software design.

What you say about the iOS7 uptake figures is absolutely spot on. It says positively nothing about who likes it. Nobody can go back to iOS6 once they've upgraded.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Record sales surely say something about a product's popularity.

It says nothing at all really, just the number of people who hit 'download latest software' without giving it a second thought.
The people who point to this 'adoption' percentage as being somehow indicative that iOS7 is a 'winner' with the users out there is BS.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Mostly fanboys and those who like the latest tech are to be found on websites such as this. Your average user won't come here, and that's millions of them by the way.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-iOS7. I just think it should have remained in BETA testing until it was ready. It still isn't 6 months later.

iOS 7 was obviously rushed into development when Jony took over but my big question is, if they knew they were gonna be on a tight schedule, why not just wait until iOS 8 or 9 to do a more complete and thought out overhaul of the software?

iOS 7 should've been a skeumorphism-less version of iOS 6. A cleaner and more elegant refresh and not nearly as radical. It would be exactly like going from Mountain Lion to Mavericks.

Going that route would've given them more time and ideas to construct a better vision for the future of their UI design.

My take is that Jony and the rest of the people at Apple were more concerned about removing every trace of skeumorphism they could find and erasing Scott Forstall's impact and legacy as quickly as possible. It definitely seems like the development of iOS 7 was a bit of an act of spite towards Forstall and very Stalin-like in the sense that Apple was erasing him from their company's history.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Apple ruined the Notes App in my opinion. I used this app all the time in iOS 6 but now it's not as enjoyable. It has a terrible yellow and white icon and I have no control over the font style.

And don't get me started on what Apple did to the Calendar App!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
iOS 5-6 vs iOS 7 is all a preference thing as you have many who love iOS 7 and hate to now look at pre iOS 7. I happen to like both styles but still prefer the overall look of pre iOS 7 and the layout of the UI.

But I do like many of the things in iOS 7 which is why I can deal with a FLAT design and i'm hoping that iOS 8 cleans up some of the lingering bugs and performance issues.

I'm also in the camp with those that felt Apple rushed iOS 7 out to eliminate the Forstall legacy.

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Mostly fanboys and those who like the latest tech are to be found on websites such as this. Your average user won't come here, and that's millions of them by the way.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-iOS7. I just think it should have remained in BETA testing until it was ready. It still isn't 6 months later.

So if we take a poll about how many people like ios7 and the the majority vote for it, you say they are either fanboys or 'your average user who is not tech savvy'??

At 87% adoption rate for ios7 the amount of 'average users' runs close to 400 million people.... I think apple can live with few 'fanboys' and their 'average users'....

Regarding thread starter, he had plenty of chance to read about some people complaining about ios7, hell he could go to any apple store and play with iOS7 to make sure of liking it.... So My question is why would you upgrade without checking out iso7 first ?

As you say, mostly tech savvy people come on these forums, so surely OP would have done his homework before upgrading....

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
87% of iPhone users have installed iOS7 but it is almost certainly the case that the vast majority just upgraded due to there being an alert in their settings menu telling them to do so. It is in no way any vote of approval for iOS7.

Those that held back were then told that there was a security vulnerability and that they HAD to upgrade to 7.0.6
Some of the 13% remaining probably researched articles on iOS7 and decided against it, despite the security flaw in their older o/s.

So yes, there are some people very happy with iOS7. That is indisputable, but I'm afraid there is no way of knowing how many MILLIONS of users wished that they had stuck with iOS6.
A fair few posters in this forum dislike iOS7, they are certainly less than half but definitely not an insignificant minority. Considering that most posters here are techheads who like the latest kit, it is no surprise that the newest = the best.
Performance-wise, that isn't necessarily true and numerous threads lay testament to this.

I'm sure iOS7 will come good and by the time the iPhone 6 is released, most people will have forgotten all about iOS6 anyway. Times change and things move on. Sadly though, whilst people still have how their current device performed with iOS6 fresh in their memory, a lot of cellular contracts are going to have to see their course before this buggy, bright white and childish-looking o/s becomes accepted as the norm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.