Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seandroid

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Canada
The irony of this whole thing is that people driven enough to go to a forum and talk about an operating system are probably more inclined to have something to complain about than to praise.

Think about it. People who love things never even say anything about it, but people who hate things never shut the hell up.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Hi Billy. My name is Chris...I like iOS 7 better than iOS 6.

I actually do to. My name is Lazlo. :D

I will admit that it took a few weeks to settle into the new look though. I felt it was a tad loud at first too. But, it works a little slicker and some of the new features are welcomed. And, with 7.1 there is further customization of the UI which just makes it better.

WB2Colorado

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
I thought iOS 7 would grow on me, I really did, but it hasn't. I don't like it. I can't even tell you what I don't like about it, I just... Don't. Needless to say I've been slowly switching over to Android. Now that my contract is up I'll be replacing my iPhone 4S with an HTC One.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I actually do to. My name is Lazlo. :D

I will admit that it took a few weeks to settle into the new look though. I felt it was a tad loud at first too. But, it works a little slicker and some of the new features are welcomed. And, with 7.1 there is further customization of the UI which just makes it better.

I thought there was less customisation with 7.1?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The weather animation has to be off if reduce motion is on...
That's not really less customization, that's just bringing reduce motion more in line to affecting everything (or at least more) throughout the OS.

7.1 brought some additional accessibility options like button shapes, darkening colors (of navigation links/buttons), and reducing white point, for example.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
That's not really less customization, that's just bringing reduce motion more in line to affecting everything (or at least more) throughout the OS.

7.1 brought some additional accessibility options like button shapes, darkening colors (of navigation links/buttons), and reducing white point, for example.

It's the only difference to me, I don't bother with the other settings you mentioned but did enjoy the weather animations. So for me, iOS7 has less customisation. I have downloaded a more accurate weather app now, so all is well.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's the only difference to me, I don't bother with the other settings you mentioned but did enjoy the weather animations. So for me, iOS7 has less customisation. I have downloaded a more accurate weather app now, so all is well.
Well, I would say that it has changed how something works by fixing the fact that it don't quite apply as universally as it should and was supposed to anyway. Certainly that might be something that's not desirable by some, but not really less customization per se, especially in light of additional customization options that were actually added (even if someone doesn't really care about those options).

Last edited:

penplotter

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
So I finally upgraded to iOS 7 (7.1 actually), and my fears were justified. It's too bright and the pastel colors about make me puke. I dislike the flat icons too. I think Apple ruined the Calendar app but thankfully they brought back an iOS 6 feature for it with iOS 7.1. Seems to me though that all the white screens do nothing but reduce battery life, due to the pixels being on so much. Because if I understand it correctly, white pixels use more power, while a black pixel is essentially off.

I wish Apple with learn what people people really want before changing things. Because change for the sake of change isn't always a good thing. And clearly with iOS 7, they copied Windows and android phones. Apple has stopped being an innovator and become a follower.

Hang on a sec; I'll be back in a tick...

*Checks calendar* ...

Okay I'm back, and it's definitely 2014; I thought we'd all been caught up in a time warp back to last summer, for a sec.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Hang on a sec; I'll be back in a tick...

*Checks calendar* ...

Okay I'm back, and it's definitely 2014; I thought we'd all been caught up in a time warp back to last summer, for a sec.

As long as Apple keeps this new design direction alive, there will continue to be complaints and controversies.

People who defend iOS 7 assume that we've all gotten accustomed to the new design and that we are all supposed to absolutely love it by now.

Honestly, unless Apple listens to the complaints of users and design experts, the backlash will continue to be as relevant as it was in June 2013. I really hope Jony and his team aren't as stubborn and arrogant as Forstall was. They could use a few lessons in UI design.

I'm a huge Apple fan and I generally am in their defense, but when they mess up, I will hold them accountable. I'm also a huge fan of Ive, but he's no software designer. If Cook has the balls to fire Forstall, he can tell Jony to just focus on the hardware and get a pro to fill in.

It doesn't matter if it's 2013 or 2014, the new iOS already feels stale. It's time for a better redesign.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
Before 7.1 update I was meeeeh about ios 7 but after 7.1 I started liking it, there are some new features that are really useful :rolleyes:

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
So I finally upgraded to iOS 7 (7.1 actually), and my fears were ...And clearly with iOS 7, they copied Windows and android phones. Apple has stopped being an innovator and become a follower.

How do these rants generate so much activity!

You have some great opinions buddy, but opinions stated as facts still does not make them true.

I'm sorry to hear you don't like iOS 7, perhaps iOS 8 will be more to your liking. Or, ditch the iphone...... Ick!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiting for the I love iOS 7 posts...

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I didn't know this, thanks!

Maybe it's true that more people like iOS 7 than not, but then again maybe the majority of iPhone users now are young people. I'm older and more professional and prefer my devices to reflex that. So yes, when my contract is up later this year, it might me time for me to say goodbye to the iPhone. I like a bigger screen anyway.

Oh, one more thing, I really dislike how the App Store app Updates keeps a record. It's not needed and takes up memory, plus it could end up being 100's of app records.

Boy OP, you stepped into this with your rant. I'm and older person (Retired) and I don't give a hoot as to what others think of my iOS. Why would anyone show it off either ? I like the iOS 7.1 and it works just fine for me, and guess what ?, so will iOS 7.2 and so on. Its a tool for me, not a work fashion statement that anyone has to worry about the colors

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
To be honest, I just ignore when people complain about how iOS looks, and when people claim "it's hard for older people to use" I don't believe that claim at all.

In my entire extended family I am the ONLY person who cannot legally drink or even be recognized as a legal adult in the US, and soon I'll be the only person under the age of 30 as well. My two cousins are in their late 20s, and the next youngest person is 50, the oldest being 80.

They all have iPads and/or iPhones running iOS 7. My grandmother and my mother, the two most technically challenged have been on iOS since the 3GS days. When they both upgraded to iOS 7 the only issue they had was that the text was too thin and luckily Apple included an option to bold the text. Everyone else had no issue with that.

In addition I help out plenty of older people with their devices as most of the residents in my city were born during the baby boom or earlier, and those who have iOS devices with iOS 7 have almost no usability issues, although a very select few with poor eyesight do, but then they can hardly use any smartphone.

I know this argument wasn't the main focus of this topic, but i'm just weighing in.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I'm also older and work in a "professional" environment—a law firm, if you're wondering. There's absolutely nothing about iOS 7 color scheme that makes unprofessional. I'd imagine you wouldn't think the attorneys, paralegals, etc. are any less professionals than anybody else because they have iOS 7 on their phones. By the way, most of us love iOS 7.
And what is your age group? But I would guess much younger than me.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
And what is your age group? But I would guess much younger than me.

Did you miss my post? I work for a Fortune 500 company. Many of my colleagues, ranging in age from 30-70, own iPhones. Those that are able are running iOS 7. And guess what, no one seems to care, including some SVPs in their 60s.

You know what's professional? Not caring how the operating system of someone's phone looks. Sheesh.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I wouldn't associate being "professional" to being snooty about someone else's phone or the colors they have on their OS. I would expect that from 14 year old clique girls.

I would want professionals to not let such things get into their head, focus and do their job up-to and beyond what is expected of them.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I haven't met a single person outside of an Apple related forum who actually likes iOS 7.

I'm still using iOS 6 and have no plans to update until I'm forced for whatever reason.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Did you miss my post? I work for a Fortune 500 company. Many of my colleagues, ranging in age from 30-70, own iPhones. Those that are able are running iOS 7. And guess what, no one seems to care, including some SVPs in their 60s.
No I didn't miss your point. But sine you didn't answer my question, then I must guess that you are of the younger generation with different professional values from mine.

Granted iOS 7 isn't the end of the world. Two Apps I used extensively were Calendar and Notes, sadly I'm just not happy with the changes to these Apps.

You and yours like iOS 7…..and that's fine. I preferred the looks of iOS 6. But don't personally bash me because I dislike iOS 7. And if you don't like my thread, don't read it or comment in it.

----------

I haven't met a single person outside of an Apple related forum who actually likes iOS 7.
Me either! Oh, wait….I did meet one person who liked it.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
No I didn't miss your point. But sine you didn't answer my question, then I must guess that you are of the younger generation with different professional values from mine.

Granted iOS 7 isn't the end of the world. Two Apps I used extensively were Calendar and Notes, sadly I'm just not happy with the changes to these Apps.

You and yours like iOS 7…..and that's fine. I preferred the looks of iOS 6. But don't personally bash me because I dislike iOS 7. And if you don't like my thread, don't read it or comment in it.

----------

Me either! Oh, wait….I did meet one person who liked it.

Your first post poses no question for us to answer. Just an opinion, to which we are responding. My only point is, to call it "unprofessional" is just juvenile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.