Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Most people who defend iOS 7 hide behind the device usage/adoption rates but that doesn't determine satisfaction whatsoever. If Apple gave an option to downgrade to iOS 6, then you could see who actually likes iOS 7. And believe me, a lot would.

Lol, now this is hilarious!! :D

May I ask, where do most people who attack iOS 7 hide? Behind the fact that non of their friends love iOS 7?? Yeah man, that's absolutely convincing!! :rolleyes:

----------

Your average user won't come here, and that's millions of them by the way..

Your average user won't give a rat's ass about design and whatever either, as long as their device does what is supposed to do.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
I know numerous people who have iPhones and they either hate iOS 7 or are indifferent towards. Not a single person that I know loves it or likes it better than iOS 6.

Most people who defend iOS 7 hide behind the device usage/adoption rates but that doesn't determine satisfaction whatsoever. If Apple gave an option to downgrade to iOS 6, then you could see who actually likes iOS 7. And believe me, a lot would.

I love Apple, I have been stood behind them and have defended them on several occasions but they are not perfect, they can screw up every so often. What Jony Ive did to iOS is inexcusable and his take on UI "design" has lowered my respect for him somewhat but he still designs incredible hardware so he's still vital to Apple. He just needs to focus on what he does best and let a professional take over software design.

This is also my experience and oppinion.

But how many people actually like, dislike or don't care about iOS 7, we don't know unless we have a representative study on that question. Everything else is speculation.

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
87% of iPhone users have installed iOS7 but it is almost certainly the case that the vast majority just upgraded due to there being an alert in their settings menu telling them to do so. It is in no way any vote of approval for iOS7.

Those that held back were then told that there was a security vulnerability and that they HAD to upgrade to 7.0.6
Some of the 13% remaining probably researched articles on iOS7 and decided against it, despite the security flaw in their older o/s.

So yes, there are some people very happy with iOS7. That is indisputable, but I'm afraid there is no way of knowing how many MILLIONS of users wished that they had stuck with iOS6.
A fair few posters in this forum dislike iOS7, they are certainly less than half but definitely not an insignificant minority. Considering that most posters here are techheads who like the latest kit, it is no surprise that the newest = the best.
Performance-wise, that isn't necessarily true and numerous threads lay testament to this.

I'm sure iOS7 will come good and by the time the iPhone 6 is released, most people will have forgotten all about iOS6 anyway. Times change and things move on. Sadly though, whilst people still have how their current device performed with iOS6 fresh in their memory, a lot of cellular contracts are going to have to see their course before this buggy, bright white and childish-looking o/s becomes accepted as the norm.

Standard answers for serial whingers !!

iOS 7 adoption rate 87% - a fact !!
Most people hate it - a speculation
I hate iOS7 - a strictly personal preference
Most people I know hate it - most people you know don't add up to 400 million
People who like iOS7 - Are not fanboys OR average brain dead users

Just thought I would clear that up.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Standard answers for serial whingers !!

Most people hate it - a speculation
I hate iOS7 - a strictly personal preference
People who like iOS7 - Are not fanboys OR average brain dead users

The adoption rate is a totally meaningless fact.
I never said that most people hate it.
I never said that I hate it.
I never said that most people I know hate it.
I never said that most people who like iOS7 are fanboys, I merely speculated regarding the posters HERE who like it.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Fair enough. And if you leave it at that, that 87% have upgraded to iOS 7 there would be no issue. But it's NOT left there... inferences are drawn such as "If that many people updated it MUST be good!" One cannot draw that conclusion from the fact that 87% upgraded.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I was speaking more to the pastel color scheme. It's designed for a younger crowd. I also use a very conservative case (in black), for my iPhone.

I can't really fault Apple for their design changes, because it's all about the money now and not about changing the world. But when the iPhone first started out, it was a very professional looking phone/iOS and appealed to the professional business community.

I'd have to disagree with you. Early on the iPhone did not have MS Exchange support or copy/paste so it could not have been a professional phone.

Apple fought hard to distance itself from being a "fun toy" in the eyes of executives.

Just because they added some color and fun in iOS 7 does not make it any less professional.

The funny part is how much Blackberry mocked the iPhone and look where they are now.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I wish Apple with learn what people people really want before changing things.
Better yet, each person should better understand what they're upgrading to verus assuming that if any brand (not just Apple) releases something that it must be good. Apple isn't going to check in with you (or any individual) every time they update something to see if you like it or not.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Standard answers for serial whingers!

iOS 7 adoption rate 87% - a fact!
Starbucks is FAR more popular than Nobu - a fact!
Most people hate it - a speculation.
Most teenagers like Starbucks more than Nobu - a speculation.
I hate iOS7 - a strictly personal preference.
I hate fast food - a strictly personal preference.
Michelin never gave any stars to Starbucks - most people would be happy to get decent coffee and snacks after a 12-hour shift and don't care for "haute cuisine".
This did nothing to my distaste for iOS 7.

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Apple ruined the Notes App in my opinion. I used this app all the time in iOS 6 but now it's not as enjoyable. It has a terrible yellow and white icon and I have no control over the font style.

And don't get me started on what Apple did to the Calendar App!

I use the Notes app quite often too. Although I don't mind the lack of font choice, what bothers me is the ability to go back to the listing of notes but not forward in notes.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I'd have to disagree with you. Early on the iPhone did not have MS Exchange support or copy/paste so it could not have been a professional phone.
Again, I was speaking more on the appearance of the phones and OS. As a professional, I wouldn't bring a pastel colored phone to work.

Obviously we will never agree. I like the additional functions of iOS 7 but hate its appearance and reduced features of certain default Apps. I think Apple got iOS 6 mostly right in the end. I don't agree that the iOS has to be a "redesign" every few years or so, I think it should be more of an evolution.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I actually disliked iOS 7 at first, but quickly grew to like it. I think we naturally fear change and when we see that it's different, we become averse to it JUST because it's different.

Once the initial shock of the change wears off, we start to notice the good things. I've come to love iOS 7's design, especially now that most of the issues have been resolved in 7.1. Going back to 6.x feels antiquated now!

So give it a little time. You may end up loving it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I actually disliked iOS 7 at first, but quickly grew to like it. I think we naturally fear change and when we see that it's different, we become averse to it JUST because it's different.

Once the initial shock of the change wears off, we start to notice the good things. I've come to love iOS 7's design, especially now that most of the issues have been resolved in 7.1. Going back to 6.x feels antiquated now!

So give it a little time. You may end up loving it.
For some it might be just that, for many others it's not just that it's different, it's more that it's different but not in any really good/improved way. It's one thing to make something new that is actually better in some fashion, it's another thing to make something new that is simply different and nothing more. Form over function type of thing.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Again, I was speaking more on the appearance of the phones and OS. As a professional, I wouldn't bring a pastel colored phone to work.

Obviously we will never agree. I like the additional functions of iOS 7 but hate its appearance and reduced features of certain default Apps. I think Apple got iOS 6 mostly right in the end. I don't agree that the iOS has to be a "redesign" every few years or so, I think it should be more of an evolution.

What do you like about iOS 7?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

As a professional, working for a Fortune 500 company (and working in Sales/Finance), I call BS on this statement.

A huge percentage of my colleagues (aged 25-65) have iPhones, and all that are able are running iOS 7. No one bats an eye.

You know what's not professional? Caring how the operating system of your phone looks. :rolleyes:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

If you don't like the appearance I can respect that but what reduced features are you speaking of exactly?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
thread title always remind me of Gollum:

"Finally Upgrades to iOS 7 and we Hates it, precious, HATES IT!"

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Starbucks is FAR more popular than Nobu - a fact!

Most teenagers like Starbucks more than Nobu - a speculation.

I hate fast food - a strictly personal preference.

Michelin never gave any stars to Starbucks - most people would be happy to get decent coffee and snacks after a 12-hour shift and don't care for "haute cuisine".

This did nothing to my distaste for iOS 7.

Something tells me you work in Starbucks!
Or perhaps born in one ;)

----------

What Apple should have done or do is add a little bit more customization for the visual appearance so it does apply to all folks. I personally hated the look of the older iOS versions and even more I hate it now. There is no chance in hell I would ever use it again!! But then I realize that it is just a personal preference.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
What Apple should have done or do is add a little bit more customization for the visual appearance so it does apply to all folks.
I agree! I totally dislike pastel colors, for me lighter colors just don't work.

----------

thread title always remind me of Gollum:

"Finally Upgrades to iOS 7 and we Hates it, precious, HATES IT!"
The thread title was supposed to read "Finally Upgraded to iOS 7 and Hate it", my finger hit the "s" instead of a "d".

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Most will be likely forced to update to iOS 7 anyway even if Apple allowed one to downgrade, app support would be a far more important matter than looks, main reason I told my mom to upgrade her 4 despite the fact there were some kinks that needed to be worked out (evidently fixed with the 7.1 update). App developers, I would think, wouldn't like to support an older OS simply due to cost and time reasons, it's a lot easier to support one OS rather than multiple OS (example Google Chrome isn't support on 2.3- devices due to critical OS components and animations missing possibly "required").

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
As a professional, I wouldn't bring a pastel colored phone to work.

Does it really matter? What happens if somebody sees iOS 7 on your phone?
"Hey Joe! Come look at Resist's phone! His OS uses pastel colors! What a lame!"

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
I didn't know this, thanks!

Maybe it's true that more people like iOS 7 than not, but then again maybe the majority of iPhone users now are young people. I'm older and more professional and prefer my devices to reflex that. So yes, when my contract is up later this year, it might me time for me to say goodbye to the iPhone. I like a bigger screen anyway.

Oh, one more thing, I really dislike how the App Store app Updates keeps a record. It's not needed and takes up memory, plus it could end up being 100's of app records.

I'm also older and work in a "professional" environment—a law firm, if you're wondering. There's absolutely nothing about iOS 7 color scheme that makes unprofessional. I'd imagine you wouldn't think the attorneys, paralegals, etc. are any less professionals than anybody else because they have iOS 7 on their phones. By the way, most of us love iOS 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.