Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
A collection of the main pistols my brothers and I trust our lives to.

71705a7dd042e8c431d4e25a40ae880f.jpg

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
To combine guns and a bible is really beyond me... Greatest oxymoron i can think of

Do you carry all of it all the time?

EDIT: i just realized it is probably one each for you and the brothers ;)

You are incorrect in your thinking that guns and the Bible is an oxymoron.

All throughout the bible, we are encouraged to take up arms and defend ourselves.

I carry all of the time, seeing as though I do not know when I may need to defend myself. I've had a close call when I was much younger. I had no firearm at the time and my family was at the mercy of the man who had threatened to kill us. I will never be at another man's mercy again. I am only at God's.

Psalm 82:4 Rescue the weak and needy; Deliver them out of the hand of the wicked.

Proverbs 24:11 Deliver those who are drawn toward death, And hold back those stumbling to the slaughter.

Luke 11:21 ESV
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe;

Luke 22:36 ESV
He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

Psalm 144:1 ESV
Of David. Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle;

“If the thief is caught while breaking in and is struck so that he dies, there will be no bloodguiltiness on his account. But if the sun has risen on him, there will be bloodguiltiness on his account. He shall surely make restitution; if he owns nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft” (Ex. 22:2-3).

…if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel. (1 Timothy 5:8)

Providing for your family, is not limited to shelter, food, and water. We must also provide safety and a means to defend our loved ones, as well as self.

Psalm 144:1 Praise the Lord, who is my rock. He trains my hands for war and gives my fingers skill for battle.

Matthew 12:29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man’s house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

Psalm 44:5-7 Only by your power can we push back our enemies; only in your name can we trample our foes. I do not trust in my bow; I do not count on my sword to save me. You are the one who gives us victory over our enemies; you disgrace those who hate us.

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Photo taken on the 600 yard line of Naval Special Warfare Center Range 116, Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.

Current setup as of 2016-06-25:
  • Remington 700 Police barreled action (factory 26″ .308 Winchester barrel, 1-12 twist)
  • AT Accuracy International Chassis system (ATAICS)
  • TriggerTech 700 trigger
  • Badger Ordnance Tactical Bolt Knob (306-31)
  • Badger Ordnance 20MOA base
  • Seekins Precision 34mm low (1″ height) rings
  • Vortex Optics Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56mm EBR-2C MRAD
  • Vortex Optics Defender Caps
  • Vortex Optics Lopro Bubble Level (34mm)
  • Harris Bipod (S-BRM) with KMW Pod-Loc and Tactical Supply Bipod Talons
Round count as of 2016-06-25: 339

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
After installing the Apex USB in my new M&P, I had to get the sights locked in.

I like to think I'm a good enough shot for self defense. This is an older model M&P, 2011 I believe, so I will be getting an Apex barrel, but I am confident with this, none the less. I don't think I'm a good enough shot be able to tell for sure, if more severe inconsistencies are the older model barrel's fault. I tend to contribute inconsistencies to myself.

Though my groups were very consistent throughout the day, there were some shots that were clearly shooter error, but there were also some that I would question wether it was the barrel or not. I guess I will see, when I get the aftermarket. I don't have these questions with my CZ.

After getting the sights just right, I drew a target for about 60ft and shot at it, at 15 feet. For a 15 foot group, I am very satisfied. For a 70-75 foot silhouette, I am also happy. The far left miss would be about a foot at 75ft.

Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 7.18.35 PM copy.jpg

Pushed back to 20 FT., rapid fire. Though the group is ok at 20 feet and acceptable for self defense, this shows I need to work on my follow up shots. (The three holes on the top, in a line, are where the target hung when I was shooting at the red target I drew.) I tend to climb and move to the right when shooting rapidly. This is 12 (mag), 1 (chambered), so 13 shot group, at 20 feet, target hung at center mass.

Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 7.52.53 PM.png

Overall, I am happy with my progress. I understand it will become tougher to progress, the better I get at shooting. There was a time when I couldn't hit a can at ten feet. That's when I bought my first pistol. So this is acceptable, I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: GlenK

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just picked up a Ruger LCR

I did a lot of research, was able to fire one and for a small C&C firearm this seemed like an ideal candidate. I also checked out the Smith & Wesson 642, but the LCR had a smoother trigger pull, that required less effort, the tritium front sight.

I'm hoping to go to the shooting range later today after church and see how it feels in my hand
IMG_2992.JPG

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX

I did a lot of research, was able to fire one and for a small C&C firearm this seemed like an ideal candidate. I also checked out the Smith & Wesson 642, but the LCR had a smoother trigger pull, that required less effort, the tritium front sight.

I'm hoping to go to the shooting range later today after church and see how it feels in my hand
View attachment 686107

I like that!

I shot the LCP, which I liked, but it felt a little too small in my hand. The LCR seems to have more room to grip.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California

View attachment 686107
Just bought a LCR 9MM yesterday. Great little gun can't wait to add it to my CC permit.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I shot the LCP, which I liked, but it felt a little too small in my hand. The LCR seems to have more room to grip
It has a bit of a kick to it, more then what I was expecting. I need to go out and shoot with it more. I did ok but I was a heck of a lot more accurate with my M&P 9mm Shield

Reactions: TWO2SEVEN

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
Not mine... but got to shoot a friends Roberts Defense 1911 he picked up recently. 2.5lb trigger, and damn smooth.

7 shot grouping at 20 yards. (Best I've ever shot... the shot below is not from this group, the head area was open so I took it!)

I did pick up a Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 AR-15 recently but have not shot it yet, range was closed for rifles the ONE day I could get out there...

Attachments

• IMG_3203.JPG
    IMG_3203.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 284

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
  • Savage 10FP (4.275" action screw spacing)
  • Shilen 24″ 1:8″ twist 6.5mm Creedmoor barrel
  • Sharp Shooter Supply bolt handle
  • Northland Shooters Supply recoil lug
  • Northland Shooters Supply barrel nut
  • CDI Precision Gunworks DBM Bottom Metal
  • McMillan A-5 stock
  • Badger Ordnance 20MOA base
  • Vortex Optics Precision Matched Rings 30mm .97″ height
  • Vortex Optics Razor HD AMG 6-24x50mm EBR-7 MRAD
  • Harris Bipod S-BRM with KMW Pod-Loc
  • US Optics Swivel Bubble Level
  • Barrel, Recoil Lug, Barrel Nut, Bolt Handle, and Stock painted with Brownells ALUMA-HYDE II in Magpul FDE
https://www.ocabj.net/precision-rifle-project-series-savage-10fp-part-1/
https://www.ocabj.net/precision-rifle-project-series-savage-10fp-part-2/
https://www.ocabj.net/precision-rifle-project-series-savage-10fp-part-3/
https://www.ocabj.net/precision-rifle-project-series-savage-10fp-part-4/
https://www.ocabj.net/precision-rifle-project-series-savage-10fp-part-5/

[url=https://www.ocabj.net/precision-rifle-project-series-savage-10fp-part-5/]
[/URL]

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
Finally got to take the Windham out! (top is the WW 7.62x39, bottom my Colt M4 with duct tape holding on my light switch... velcro came off lol)
Did not have the 3-9 scope yet on the WW at the range, so had to use Magpul backup iron sights only. Switched to offset sights with the scope, so will have to zero everything again.
The target pic, iron sights @ 100 yards using a sandbag on front after about 80 rounds sent down range.

Not one issue with the rifle, using c-products mags and was shooting wolf steel cased ammo. Loaded a single round at a time while sighting it in, then fully filled 2 mags with 30 rounds without a single feed issue. (biggest problem with 7.62x39 in AR platform)
IMG_3710.JPG IMG_3668.JPG

Reactions: 1042686

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Custom rifle build on American Rifle Company Mausingfield action.
  • American Rifle Company Mausingfield short action (with 20MOA rail)
  • Bartlein 5R stainless steel 24″ length, 6mm (.237″ bore), 1:7.5″ twist, Remington Varmint contour chambered in 6mm Creedmoor (threaded for 5/8×24)
  • Area 419 HELLFIRE Self-Timing Break
  • Huber Concepts 2-Stage (1lb, 1lb) trigger
  • Masterpiece Arms BA Competition Chassis in Flat Dark Earth (and with MPA Enhanced Bag Rider)
  • American Rifle Company M10 QD-L 30mm tube, 35mm / 1.38″ tall, 0MOA mount
  • Vortex Optics Razor HD AMG 6-24x50mm MRAD
  • Accessories – Harris Bipod with Really Right Stuff Adapter, MPA Enhanced Bag Rider
Total build cost with gunsmithing labor: $6700

Full build and range report summary here: https://www.ocabj.net/precision-rifle-project-series-american-rifle-company-mausingfield-part-5/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.