Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrGonzo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by Lord Bodak
Hey, I ordered mine 6 days before the announcement, and mine is also 10/3. :confused:

that's because they're shipping yours and others with a g5.

iHack

macrumors regular
Originally posted by dho
gunnmjk:

considering the time it has taken to get the g5's shiped I wouldn't feel too impatient if I were you.

Because after-all 3 months shiptime is "normal":D

be sure to tell us about it when you get it

Is this about 'the emoticon denotes a joke so people will get it'? And did you get it? Now I'm curious... :p

M.

PS. if a joke is so lame it needs an emoticon for people to get it, reconsider posting it. Shucks, that goes for this post too. Sorry about that.
I thought that emoticons were an awkward way to replace body language, which of course is utterly absent in a forum like this... *shrugs*

Shadey

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2003
Columbus, OH
Re: Re: 12" powerbooks are for babies.

Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
At Macworld Expo, an adventurous Mac User tries a new pick-up line:

"They say that guys who buy big PowerBooks are trying to compensate for something. Baby, I don't even HAVE a PowerBook!"

This would have been much funnier if you would have used one of these: :D

jkeithh

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2002
Originally posted by danielgrenell
that's exciting, i have a 15 on the way, and i've seen pictures of people who've gotten those, so i'm happy! the apple site says it will ship out at the latest on the 30th, and i have 2 day shipping, so it'll be here on the 2nd, at the latest!

If you ordered from Apple, the standard 2 day shipping they are upgrading everyone to is 2nd day once it reaches the US and clears Customs. Mine was shipped from Taiwan on the 22nd and I still don't have it.

clr2lnd

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2003
Murfreesboro, TN.
Re: 12" powerbooks are for babies.

Originally posted by DoubleA100
12 " powerbooks are for babies. You know what they say about the size of you powerbook...

Proud owner of a 17" massive, big boy powerbook!

sounds to me like you're trying to compensate for something that might not be quite UP to par.

martijnvandijk

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2003
Netherlands
15'' delayed due to Airport extreme cards shortage

Just gave the Apple Store a call, because my 15'' PB was supposed to be here already (ordered on september 18th).

However, because of shortage of AE cards, it is now due for delivery somewhere early in the week of the 13th of October :(

I can't wait anymore!!!:mad:

clr2lnd

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2003
Murfreesboro, TN.
This is a sore subject for some of us; they have been shipping in a strange order. Many reports are coming from people who ordered theirs on 9/16 after the keynote who are receiving theirs, when many others (myself included) who ordered as early as the 4th (or the 10th in my case) are still waiting for shipment.

But from what I hear, the new 12" is great! Can't wait to get mine!

i ordered mine on the 3rd of sept. but have not received it yet. the free upgrade to 1GHz model has made it worth the wait, don't you think?

Mcgack

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2002
1gb ram

When I ordered my 12" powerbook from an independant retailer, he said that if I ordered it with the 1gb module of ram it'd take a quite cause those modules aren't readily available yet, not even to apple. So that might be the cause of some people's delays.
-nick

Mcgack

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2002
1 gb ram redux

"...it'd take quite a while..." What I meant to write. right.
-nick

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
video card

slightly off topic, but does anyone know if there's a way to put in a better video card in the powerbooks? I know you can't order a better one to come with it, but I was wondering if you could open it up and put in one yourself. Never owned a powerbook, unfortunately, but I am definitely thinking of getting one. I just wanted it to have a better video card when I got it.

Lord Bodak

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
Chesapeake, VA USA
My 12" just shipped via Fed-Ex from Taiwan. I ordered 9/10 (and was upgraded to the new model 9/16).

It's a combo, 60 gig hard drive, Airport Extreme.

Fed-Ex tracking says it should be delivered Friday morning :D

Lord Bodak

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
Chesapeake, VA USA
Re: video card

Originally posted by Ja Di ksw
slightly off topic, but does anyone know if there's a way to put in a better video card in the powerbooks? I know you can't order a better one to come with it, but I was wondering if you could open it up and put in one yourself. Never owned a powerbook, unfortunately, but I am definitely thinking of getting one. I just wanted it to have a better video card when I got it.

The 15" and 17" have a Radeon 9600. Doesn't get much better than that :D

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Re: Re: video card

The 15" and 17" have a Radeon 9600. Doesn't get much better than that :D

Fair enough, but I still wasn't sure which model to get, and was leaning towards the 12" :(

JohninMontreal

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2003
Montreal
shipping date

Hi,

New to these forums...

Shipping date of my 15" (ordered Sept. 20) has just been bumped from Sept. 29 to Oct. 6.

Funny if it's because of a shortage of AE cards (as was mentioned earlier)... I ordered an AE base at the same time and that arrived last week.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Yep, got my 12" PB yesterday around 9 AM CDT.

I think if you ordered through the Ed Stoe you were given priority, because I ordered on 9/16, and got it fairly quickly.

Love this machine!!!!

Finally, WarCraft II with no lags. Whew!

Regards,
Gus

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Good news for those who ordered early.

Guys with big powerbooks are likely trying to compensate for something alright.

I'm trying to compensate for the lack of an external monitor to use in extended desktop mode - especially one that travels.

trox355

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2003
Ordered from Ed Store, still waiting

I ordered mine on the 17th and my date has been bumped from the 26th to 10/3. For me, at least, the ed store doesn't seem to be getting any priority. 12", Superdrive, AE, 256MB Base RAM. 60GB. The sooner for me the better, we have fall break next week and I want it before then. This is my first PowerBook and I am very excited!

To those who have recieved theirs, how long does transit take after shipment?

noverflow

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2002
my work got 6 or more in yesterday to go to the floor.
If you live in tucson we have them in stock.

chickengrease16

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2003
Tallahassee, FL
compusa

i visited the apple store at CompUSA in Tallahassee, FL yesterday, Sept 29, and they had all of the new model powerbooks (1GHz 12", 1.25GHz 15", and 1.33GHz 17") and they had a few in stock. i asked the lady about it and theyve had them for a few days apparently. also, they've got a good supply of 1.6 and 1.8GHz powermac G5s, but are still waiting on the dual 2.0. i also got to use the isight. not too shabby, but the colors weren't very vivid at all. my crappy intel webcam has better colors than it... or maybe it was just a bad model or there was some setting set or something. who knows...

jkeithh

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2002
Originally posted by Gus
Yep, got my 12" PB yesterday around 9 AM CDT.

I think if you ordered through the Ed Stoe you were given priority, because I ordered on 9/16, and got it fairly quickly.

Love this machine!!!!

Finally, WarCraft II with no lags. Whew!

Regards,
Gus

I ordered my 15" Powerbook through the Educational Store on the 17th and still do not have it (and it is a standard config) so apparently they did not give all Educational people priority.

mxpiazza

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
cleveland, oh
well, i learned my lesson with ordering from the apple store with the g5. i bought ordered a 1.8 stock g5 from the apple store edu style, and i walked into the easton apple store and they were in stock when my ship date got pushed back to 3 weeks after that... needless to say i just cancelled my order and picked one up at the store. i'm sure that'll be the case with a lot of people.

things to note with the delays: airport extreme cards as well as 1GB mem chips are the main causes of delays here, so expect a wait if you ordered these components. if you ordered a stock machine, expect to get yours first, regardless of when you ordered it.

hexcalibur

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
Vancouver
Re: I don't want to get your hopes up, but...

Originally posted by trox355
I ordered mine on the 17th and my date has been bumped from the 26th to 10/3.

I ordered the exact same configuration, trox, and mine was bumped to Oct. 3 too. That is, until this morning, when it shipped via FedEx. :D

It looks like the 60GB BTO models are starting to roll off the assembly line, so keep your fingers crossed and try to limit your visits to the order status page to one every couple of hours.

FedEx thinks they'll have the powerbook here (Vancouver) by Friday lunch. Which suggests a staggeringly unproductive weekend awaits me.

trox355

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2003
Re: Re: I don't want to get your hopes up, but...

Originally posted by hexcalibur
Which suggests a staggeringly unproductive weekend awaits me.

Hooray! I just logged on to check my email to find that it had been shipped and FedEx estimates it here before Friday lunch as well. I realize now why I didn't schedule any classes for myself after 11:30 on Fridays ;) . Good luck to the rest, and I hope you will get yours soon!

Pete

yujini

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2003
LA, CA, USA
My edu store today got at least 9 12inch powerbooks today. They said they ordered about 100 15inch powerbooks too.

no lag on warcraft 2? It's a 2d game from the 90s. There's no way a 867mhz wouldn't have been able to run it smoothly. Maybe you were talking about warcraft 3? :)

The only laptop where you can upgrade your graphics card is the voodoopc/alienware laptops i think.

I know for sure that you cant upgrade your graphics card for apple powerbooks/ibooks. (and yes, it kinda sux that the new 12inches didn't get the 9600. One reason why i'm going to get the 15inch when panther gets released)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.