Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
The colour is really nice.

IMG-0867.jpg
That is a really nice color. Congrats on the setup, I don't think you will regret having a different computer for work and home.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
The midnight colour is okay if you don't mind how badly fingerprints affect it. Didn't think it would annoy me as much as it really, really does :)

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
The midnight colour is okay if you don't mind how badly fingerprints affect it. Didn't think it would annoy me as much as it really, really does :)

It should live in calm shell mode 99% of the time so no worries there. It wasn’t my first choice but it was the only one available before my start date.

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
It should live in calm shell mode 99% of the time so no worries there. It wasn’t my first choice but it was the only one available before my start date.

@LiE_ hey I think we need an update :) are you still on mac? how are you finding it? missing windows at all??

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
@LiE_ hey I think we need an update :) are you still on mac? how are you finding it? missing windows at all??

Yup still on Apple, very happy and content. It’s really nice having my wife in the ecosystem too, I can use a lot of the shared features now. No itch to change things.

My current indecision is around getting a dedicated camera or not. I keep buying and cancelling an order for a Fujifilm X100V.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
At new work i was forced to use win machines. I found that excel is much more convenient( Excel is faster, hotkeys, more functionality) than Mac and remote desktop software works better on Win machines as well when connecting to virtual Win machine. Mac has funky problems with screen resolution when rdp'ing into Win virtual machine. Is it only me?

If that is the case, I will have to acquire win laptop at some point for personal involved excel projects.

Reactions: Cape Dave

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
My current indecision is around getting a dedicated camera or not. I keep buying and cancelling an order for a Fujifilm X100V.
I own a sony nex 7 bought in 2011. Still chugging along with original battery. Doesn’t stop adding beautiful pictures to my family album albeit seeing rare use. At this point I consider it to be a BIFL (buy it for life) product and do not regret having one.

With its diminished value to nill, i also do not expect part my ways with it through reselling. I even never had an itch to replace it with a newer model as opposed to my macs and iphones.

Dedicated camera adds so much joy and thoughtfulness to the process. Ability of macs to work with raw helps even further to create - I wouldn’t be a fan of dslr if i had a cheap win laptop with 250 nits TN display.

I am not even mentioning the superiority of the picture quality even decades later versus the latest iphone: once burglars got into our house and had to flee on a car after seeing us (they did not expect anyone at home this time of the day). My old and trusty camera took a shot of license plates clear as sky from 1000 feet away which helped to catch them - second time robbing our house but nobody have seen them first time around and they came to try their luck for the second time.
Mind you I wasn’t able to recognize plates from 150 feet away as they fled due to glasses.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Excel is better on Windows. It’s fine on Mac, I only use it for basic tasks.

Committed to the X100V, should be here tomorrow. They are really hard to find new at MSRP.

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
It's not surprising that Excel is better on Windows, since MS wants to sell Windows! It seems to me I've heard the same thing said about Word. But it's sort of interesting and sad given that Excel started out on the Macintosh.

I kind of idly wonder now if Excel helped sell the Macintosh to some buyers in the 1980s...

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
It's not surprising that Excel is better on Windows, since MS wants to sell Windows! It seems to me I've heard the same thing said about Word.

I believe that a much fairer assessment is that Office works better on Windows, where it is most used.

Office on Mac is reasonable if you are a basic user. But much like Apple who makes the least effort of all for their software/Apps to work cross-platform, at least MS does make the effort to give Mac users something reasonable.

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
I believe that a much fairer assessment is that Office works better on Windows, where it is most used.
Perhaps. There is admittedly practical incentive with things like established user base, market share, what the users are likely to need for each platform, etc. That said, there is also an advantage of having something to promote the sales of Windows licenses.

Office on Mac is reasonable if you are a basic user.
That hasn't always been the case, as those who remember Word 6 might attest... Although that is admittedly ancient history now.

But much like Apple who makes the least effort of all for their software/Apps to work cross-platform, at least MS does make the effort to give Mac users something reasonable.
Of course, there is theoretical advantage for each company to do what they do. Office is a profitable product for MS. Meanwhile, Apple's interest is not a piece of software here and there--it's selling hardware. Ideally, for them, a complete collection of devices from phone to laptop.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
It will always be my preference to have both a PC and a Mac. So many things a Mac is just so incredibly bad at that a PC just does so well and vice versa although I find more limitations with a Mac than a PC.

Mac is still my main daily driver though as it's simply the better option for what I do to make money.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Yup still on Apple, very happy and content. It’s really nice having my wife in the ecosystem too, I can use a lot of the shared features now. No itch to change things.

I spent four months in a camper touring the West. Trusty iPhone 14 Pro Max as my camera. Pics looked good on my laptop. Got home and on a larger monitor many looked like trash. I can't retake these. So now my iPhone 15 Pro Max will have quick, non zoom pics. I picked up a used Sony RX-10m4. I KNOW I won't have to worry about pics taken with that.

Reactions: ctjack

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
on a larger monitor many looked like trash.

We did a tour of Europe in 2023 covering a lot of places where our iPhone 14 Pros were our only cameras. Looking back at the many sites we took a lot of photos such as Auschwitz, the Colosseum and so on the images are great on a big screen. Of course great to me and you are no doubt different.

Although I will say that a friend was in Rome last summer as well, he was using a Pixel, I did feel his images looked nicer in terms of colour.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
It will always be my preference to have both a PC and a Mac. So many things a Mac is just so incredibly bad at that a PC just does so well and vice versa although I find more limitations with a Mac than a PC.

Mac is still my main daily driver though as it's simply the better option for what I do to make money.
I am exactly the same. I like both for different reasons. I generally find that I can get better hardware for less on a Windows laptop than a MacBook. On top of that I have more control over the OS in Windows. I can disable telemetry in Windows with a simple registry edit. I hear so many people on these forums saying how Windows is just spyware, blah, blah....

Windows is NOT spyware and has a huge Enterprise market where Privacy is extremely important and a majority of Enterprise use Windows.

Windows security is as good as or almost as good as 3rd party software but has minimal impact on the system. You can run offline scans in a locked down mode. You can lock down your firewall.

So I can run Windows 11 very securely and privately with minimal work on my own.

Windows 11 has a vast software library. It is compatible with almost any peripheral's I have ever owned. Windows 11 is fast and stable.

MacOS is obviously pretty secure by default. Never had any issues with security or privacy on a Mac. MacOS is more organized. Settings aren't in various places and there aren't multiple ways to install or uninstall software in different places in the OS. MacOS is extremely polished and refined in every detail in the software. The software and OS are generally extremally stable and reliable.

MacOS and MacBooks use software and hardware that is not available anywhere else and has incredible performance and battery life. intercommunication between Apple devices is legendary and still unequaled anywhere else completely.

So I like to use both OS. I was using at one time, Linux, Windows, ChromeOS, iOS, and Android on different devices all at the same time. In my opinion it is good to understand how different operating systems work and fun to learn how to do the same tasks on different OS.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Office on Mac is reasonable if you are a basic user. But much like Apple who makes the least effort of all for their software/Apps to work cross-platform, at least MS does make the effort to give Mac users something reasonable.
You have to look back to the point where Windows was just an Operating Environment on top of MS-DOS/PC-DOS when Microsoft was adding private APIs into the software to make MS Office not be the worst. Obviously, they couldn't do that on Mac.

At that point Lotus 1-2-3 and Word Perfect were much better on DOS and very little would run on Windows. Microsoft couldn't be in last place, could they?

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I am exactly the same. I like both for different reasons. I generally find that I can get better hardware for less on a Windows laptop than a MacBook. On top of that I have more control over the OS in Windows. I can disable telemetry in Windows with a simple registry edit. I hear so many people on these forums saying how Windows is just spyware, blah, blah....

Windows is NOT spyware and has a huge Enterprise market where Privacy is extremely important and a majority of Enterprise use Windows.

Windows security is as good as or almost as good as 3rd party software but has minimal impact on the system. You can run offline scans in a locked down mode. You can lock down your firewall.

So I can run Windows 11 very securely and privately with minimal work on my own.
With the integration of co-pilot are you sure this can be said of Windows 12 going forward? I would argue that the direction of Microsoft is not a good one. At this point, I have disabled all telemetry and using portmaster, but is that even going to be enough with the integration of AI?

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
With the integration of co-pilot are you sure this can be said of Windows 12 going forward? I would argue that the direction of Microsoft is not a good one. At this point, I have disabled all telemetry and using portmaster, but is that even going to be enough with the integration of AI?
I mean if you live in US and own a home on your name, file taxes, then you can forget about privacy anyways thanks to lexisnexis.
There is always reg edit codes to disable all the bloatware that comes with windows for people who don’t mind some tinkering.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I mean if you live in US and own a home on your name, file taxes, then you can forget about privacy anyways thanks to lexisnexis.
There is always reg edit codes to disable all the bloatware that comes with windows for people who don’t mind some tinkering.
Already do all that, but I am not so sure that Windows 12 will allow it. I know that Windows 11 constantly re-activates the telemetry after updates? As far as LexisNexis, that doesn't mean I need to give up even more privacy. I will still do what I can. And that includes massively neutering Windows. In the future it may mean no Windows at all if they push the Co-pilot thing too hard. I mean look at the CSAM debacle with Apple. MS had already caved years ago with scanning Onedrive.

And now Apple has optional (which I use) e2ee on most of my icloud data. MS is following Google. It will definitely not give me that. At this point, I do most things on my Apple devices and only use my 4060 laptop for gaming and remoting to work...

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
It's an issue but in potentially different ways to those who can't see the wood for the trees and moan about telemetry in Windows think. e.g. Basic telemetry really isn't that much more than what MacOS and it's accompanying apps collect after you've told it you dont want to share data.

And it's funniest of all to me that people who are paranoid about all things Microsoft don't even fully consider what your iPhone collects about you if you actually want it to be useful in the 2020's.

Reactions: Technerd108

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
It's an issue but in potentially different ways to those who can't see the wood for the trees and moan about telemetry in Windows think. e.g. Basic telemetry really isn't that much more than what MacOS and it's accompanying apps collect after you've told it you dont want to share data.

And it's funniest of all to me that people who are paranoid about all things Microsoft don't even fully consider what your iPhone collects about you if you actually want it to be useful in the 2020's.
Right but with Advanced Data Protection at least it is encrypted even from Apple. Try getting that guarantee from Google or Microsoft. I guarantee they won't give you that guarantee.

And here is what the EFF thinks about it:

And I haven't been paranoid about what Microsoft has done so much to this point. I just didn't use insecure Onedrive at all and disabled all telemetry. :)

But I think their shift to co-pilot changes that. They aren't admitting what deep (probably kernel-level) changes they are making to accommodate training data accruing to Microsoft. I think they are going to not even come clean about what they are taking as they are "all-in" on co-pilot at this point. So feel free to use it if you want. I am also free to stick with the company that, while staid and somewhat boring, is willing to end-to-end encrypt user data--albeit optionally.

That is a difference in kind.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Right but with Advanced Data Protection at least it is encrypted even from Apple. Try getting that guarantee from Google or Microsoft. I guarantee they won't give you that guarantee.

And here is what the EFF thinks about it:

That's user data - which isn't telemetry.

And in your goalpost-moving respect, Google's APP not ringing any bells for you? If anything Apple is late to the party since it's usually three years for them to throw blonde hair onto someone else's thing and call it an innovation - not five as it was in this case.

And with Microsoft, it's all third-partyable (from companies who make security their business) since no more Windows Phone.

Last edited:

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
That's user data - which isn't telemetry.

And in your goalpost-moving respect, Google's APP not ringing any bells for you? If anything Apple is late to the party since it's usually three years for them to throw blonde hair onto someone else's thing and call it an innovation - not five as it was in this case.

And with Microsoft, it's all third-partyable (from companies who make security their business) since no more Windows Phone.
Okay? I didn't realize we were having an argument. You can only move goalposts in an argument. Gotcha. Hey, if you would prefer Google's approach go for it. I couldn't find anything on e2ee and Google--except for messages? So what is APP?

Anyway, I disagree on Apple being late to e2ee, since no one else offers it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.