Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
don't even suggest that!

lol, i had one earlier this week. messed me up some. i forgot to start the rig back up, and i remembered just before i left for work the next morning. luckily i remembered when i did. cost me points though.

looks like your rig is doing just fine though

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
lol, i had one earlier this week. messed me up some. i forgot to start the rig back up, and i remembered just before i left for work the next morning. luckily i remembered when i did. cost me points though.

looks like your rig is doing just fine though

yeah, because I'm keeping my fingers off it!

I know what you mean though -- a tree limb coming down took out power to the house a few weeks ago and not only cost points but fixing the damage was as much as a nice GTX 780 :(

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
yeah, because I'm keeping my fingers off it!

I know what you mean though -- a tree limb coming down took out power to the house a few weeks ago and not only cost points but fixing the damage was as much as a nice GTX 780 :(

yeah sorry to hear that. we've had some bad storms around here lately, and luckily no damage to our house. but we did have a power outage. some people in the area had another power outage last night, luckily we were spared.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
yeah sorry to hear that. we've had some bad storms around here lately, and luckily no damage to our house. but we did have a power outage. some people in the area had another power outage last night, luckily we were spared.

I do count myself lucky; could have been far worse. hope you escape any further outages -- happens with big trees and an aging infrastructure...

meantime I'll keep folding! and I know that in a while I'll get the itch to try overclocking the chips...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I will! (but not too careful!)

frankly, I think you're more than fine with what you're running!

...you make that sound like that's a bad thing...

cool.

thanks. i just got another 8101, so not good for my numbers.

well it's already very hot here. i like the colder weather. (but not too cold)

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
cool.

thanks. i just got another 8101, so not good for my numbers.

well it's already very hot here. i like the colder weather. (but not too cold)

39C with humidex yesterday here. Just turned off the big rig to save some heat. it too was churning away on an 8101 and that's never much fun.

and a couple of power outages did affect points...

I'm not a big fan of winter except as it pertains to folding... but this is a bit much...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
39C with humidex yesterday here. Just turned off the big rig to save some heat. it too was churning away on an 8101 and that's never much fun.

and a couple of power outages did affect points...

I'm not a big fan of winter except as it pertains to folding... but this is a bit much...

yeah my big rig seems to work slower in the heat. this 8101 is killing me.

but you turned the big rig off? turn the others off first! ;)

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
yeah my big rig seems to work slower in the heat. this 8101 is killing me.

but you turned the big rig off? turn the others off first! ;)

I know, I know... but the 8101s only get about 100K PPD and that's less than my GPU folder!

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
true, but there's not guarantee you'll get another 8101. i've got an 8103 now, much better

OK, you've convinced me -- I'll turn it back on!

I finished my last 8101 and didn't get any credit for it... the log says it uploaded successfully though so that's what matters...

and you were right -- an 8104 -- hooray!

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
OK, you've convinced me -- I'll turn it back on!

I finished my last 8101 and didn't get any credit for it... the log says it uploaded successfully though so that's what matters...

and you were right -- an 8104 -- hooray!

awesome! yep i've got an 8104 now! sometimes we just gotta fight thru those 8101s.

and i restarted my mbp, and now it's folding. shows how much i use it as i haven't noticed excepted on the fah points

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
awesome! yep i've got an 8104 now! sometimes we just gotta fight thru those 8101s.

and i restarted my mbp, and now it's folding. shows how much i use it as i haven't noticed excepted on the fah points

I spoke too soon -- got an EUE error after it was more than half finished... I honestly thought I was finished with that kind of instability...

now it's got an 8105; we'll see how that goes...

I tried using an MBP for folding once but decided it really wasn't worth the point (and the potential for shortening the life of the laptop) but I guess as long as it doesn't heat up too much it is OK...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I spoke too soon -- got an EUE error after it was more than half finished... I honestly thought I was finished with that kind of instability...

now it's got an 8105; we'll see how that goes...

I tried using an MBP for folding once but decided it really wasn't worth the point (and the potential for shortening the life of the laptop) but I guess as long as it doesn't heat up too much it is OK...

well hopefully this one goes well for you. just keep an eye on it.

yeah i agree. the mbp folding isn't ideal. i keep forgetting that it starts to fold every time i restart.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
well hopefully this one goes well for you. just keep an eye on it.

yeah i agree. the mbp folding isn't ideal. i keep forgetting that it starts to fold every time i restart.

so far so good. one WU done and on an 8104 now.

I hate autostart folding. I set all of my clients to pause-on-start = true. it does mean manually starting everything after a power outage but I'd want to check it all out then anyhow.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
so far so good. one WU done and on an 8104 now.

I hate autostart folding. I set all of my clients to pause-on-start = true. it does mean manually starting everything after a power outage but I'd want to check it all out then anyhow.

great!

yeah i normally do also. but since i don't normally fold on my mbp i forgot to set it

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
great!

yeah i normally do also. but since i don't normally fold on my mbp i forgot to set it

I end up stripping F@H off my work computers...

got a run of frankly terrible Core 16 WUs on my GPUs.

Project 8900 has been moved to "advanced" from "beta" and is now open to all (when WUs are available)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I end up stripping F@H off my work computers...

got a run of frankly terrible Core 16 WUs on my GPUs.

Project 8900 has been moved to "advanced" from "beta" and is now open to all (when WUs are available)

yeah my mbp is my personal at home.

i had another 8101, but luckily that's over with and now an 8105.

project 8900 is GPU only right?

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
yeah my mbp is my personal at home.

i had another 8101, but luckily that's over with and now an 8105.

project 8900 is GPU only right?

glad to hear you're past the 8101...

yes the 8900 (Core 17) is GPU only; from what i've been hearing it's best to run the GPUs on a dedicated GPU folding box because the hit you take on the QRB on the bigadv units far outweighs the gain in ppd from the GPU (that and AMD cards don't work under Linux)...

looks like everyone has been getting 8900 WUs again!

temps are OK now but will heat up at the end of the week so I might have to shut some stuff down then...

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I get around 64kPPD on a dedicated Linux box with stock GTX 660Ti; plus around 11kPPD from the i7 with 6 assigned Cores. Solid and stable (as long we get WUs)

Update: actually "only" 61kPPD

Last edited:

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
I get around 64kPPD on a dedicated Linux box with stock GTX 660Ti; plus around 11kPPD from the i7 with 6 assigned Cores. Solid and stable (as long we get WUs)

Hi -- thanks for posting your observations!

that is good to know. I've got my GPUs running on a W7 box now (and am getting about the same ppd on my 660Ti while the 7970 gets about 100 K pod) but if I ever get any more GPUs I'd like to run them on Ubuntu.

unfortunately there's that power meter thing :eek:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Same here, want for more GPU. still would like to get a 780 or Titan in addition, but power and heat might be a problem in hot summer Tokyo. Hopefully in fall/winter.

Here more details with TPF

image.jpg

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Same here, want for more GPU. still would like to get a 780 or Titan in addition, but power and heat might be a problem in hot summer Tokyo. Hopefully in fall/winter.

Here more details with TPF

View attachment 421106

very interesting! I'm getting almost exactly the same for my 660Ti.

I'd like a 780 too, but in addition to the heat and power, there's that small matter of buying the card... :D

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Hi guys. Just checking in. Haven't posted here in a long time but never stopped Folding (as you probably noticed). Nice to see the team is doing well.

For some color: CPU Folding is worth it (version 7 is a must). I have 3 machines doing 20k ppd each, CPU only:

a Mac Pro 2,1 (8 cores 3Ghz)
a 3.4Ghz iMac (4+4 cores, previous generation)
a MacBook Pro retina 2.3Ghz (4+4 cores)

Just replaced the Mac Pro GPU with an older Quadro 4500 but no GPU Folding in MAc OS of course. But Linux GPU drivers seem to be close, OS X driver can't be that far behind. Something about OpenCL mac drivers not good enough right?

I am amazed at the Retina MBP pulling these numbers and hardly getting hot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.