Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
This kind of oscillation I also see on all kind of WUs.
Like this one based on ETA:
image.jpg
Actually I should add TPF monitoring to my toolset.

Seems a known issue on client v7 (http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=61&t=24435)
Wait and see if after a number of WU it get stable.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
This kind of oscillation I also see on all kind of WUs.
Like this one based on ETA:
View attachment 421438
Actually I should add TPF monitoring to my toolset.

Seems a known issue on client v7 (http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=61&t=24435)
Wait and see if after a number of WU it get stable.

What you are seeing is a drop every even numbered frame when the system writes a checkpoint. It will affect faster systems a lot more than slower systems (probably because it takes the same amount of "dead time" to do the checkpoint. If you are watching your system you will see the GPU usage drop to zero and the fans slow down and the temps drop until the checkpoint is over and then everything speeds up again...

Louis

----------

well i just had to crank up the fan manually. it's now saying 159k ppd. it's weird though, every other frame is under 3:00. like one frame will be 2:49, and the next will be 3:12. not sure why.

see my response to ChristianJapan -- it's caused by checkpointing... you'll see it happen as the GPU hits the zero point of every even numbered frame...

ie 1.99% going to 2.00%

then you'll see everything slow down for a few seconds...

Louis

----------

well i just had to crank up the fan manually. it's now saying 159k ppd. it's weird though, every other frame is under 3:00. like one frame will be 2:49, and the next will be 3:12. not sure why.

Great!! finally getting what the card should do! excellent!

:):)

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Happen as we speak:

image.jpg

This comes from my dedicated Ubuntu system with GTX 660 Ti and i7-2600S:
The CPU slot swing while GPU slot is stable.
Seems depending on a project itself. The long running CPU WU earlier the day didn't swing; this time the short one do.
But thanks for the hint on frame and checkpoints. Will have a different look on my log files.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
What you are seeing is a drop every even numbered frame when the system writes a checkpoint. It will affect faster systems a lot more than slower systems (probably because it takes the same amount of "dead time" to do the checkpoint. If you are watching your system you will see the GPU usage drop to zero and the fans slow down and the temps drop until the checkpoint is over and then everything speeds up again...

Louis

----------

see my response to ChristianJapan -- it's caused by checkpointing... you'll see it happen as the GPU hits the zero point of every even numbered frame...

ie 1.99% going to 2.00%

then you'll see everything slow down for a few seconds...

Louis

----------

Great!! finally getting what the card should do! excellent!

:):)

gotcha. i did read something similar, but that's a clear definition of what's going on.

yeah i finally got it going. let's hope everything continues to go well with it

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Happen as we speak:

View attachment 421442

This comes from my dedicated Ubuntu system with GTX 660 Ti and i7-2600S:
The CPU slot swing while GPU slot is stable.
Seems depending on a project itself. The long running CPU WU earlier the day didn't swing; this time the short one do.
But thanks for the hint on frame and checkpoints. Will have a different look on my log files.

I'm not even sure how to read that chart -- but certainly there is some variation in the different frames on SMP WUs; especially on the bigadv units; maybe it's something like that? of course, as the thread you sent showed, maybe it's just a bug in the estimating and nothing at all to worry about...

----------

gotcha. i did read something similar, but that's a clear definition of what's going on.

yeah i finally got it going. let's hope everything continues to go well with it

great to see and look forward to more team points!

(from the observations on checkpointing the complaint is that it affects the faster cards disproportionally more than the slower cards)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
which is more than the rest of us!

all for a good cause!

yeah it's a great cause.

you know i've done well for last 2 years - i didn't buy any video cards. now i just bought the most expensive card i've ever bought, i'm trying to talk myself out of buying more of them! its so addicting

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
so project 8900 has been moved to advanced and 8901 is coming to beta today. i'll be checking to see if i get one for my next WU

good. can't wait to get out of Core15 purgatory. Dual GPU rig pulling in less than 14 K ppd instead of 160 K :(

----------

yeah it's a great cause.

you know i've done well for last 2 years - i didn't buy any video cards. now i just bought the most expensive card i've ever bought, i'm trying to talk myself out of buying more of them! its so addicting

you have more self-restraint than me, for sure :D

it's a consolation that the card you just bought outperforms all your other cards put together...

I like the whole GPU thing... nice to have a bunch of old ones around to throw into old rigs lying around (to pass off to other people)...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
good. can't wait to get out of Core15 purgatory. Dual GPU rig pulling in less than 14 K ppd instead of 160 K :(

----------

you have more self-restraint than me, for sure :D

it's a consolation that the card you just bought outperforms all your other cards put together...

I like the whole GPU thing... nice to have a bunch of old ones around to throw into old rigs lying around (to pass off to other people)...

i know. and i keep getting 'unstable machine' errors with these core15 units. let's hope core17 comes back very soon. like now

yeah it does outperform all of them combined with core17. core15 not so much. but less power than 6 x 260s though.

yeah i've done the 'pass systems off' to friends with 'all i ask is that you run this program'. it worked for a little while, but then they 'forget' to run it. oh well.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Just got my first 8901 ... :cool:
watching log file for issues; hopefully none will happen.

TPF: 7min 32sec; bit more then 12hours runtime for whole WU
PPD 55.8k

Last edited:

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Just got my first 8901 ... :cool:
watching log file for issues; hopefully none will happen.

TPF: 7min 32sec; bit more then 12hours runtime for whole WU
PPD 55.8k

Congrats on your first 8901

! I haven't seen one yet as I'm ***patiently*** waiting for my Core15 and Core16 WUs to finish...

----------

i know. and i keep getting 'unstable machine' errors with these core15 units. let's hope core17 comes back very soon. like now

yeah it does outperform all of them combined with core17. core15 not so much. but less power than 6 x 260s though.

yeah i've done the 'pass systems off' to friends with 'all i ask is that you run this program'. it worked for a little while, but then they 'forget' to run it. oh well.

mebbe turn down the clock a bit until Core17 comes back?

wow, a half dozen 260s -- that's how you got so many points before!

and I usually keep folding on my cards until they get so few points that it isn't worth it before passing them on -- so I don't even bother asking others to fold for me... just so their sons can have fun gaming! (parents sometimes don't appreciate that though :D)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Congrats on your first 8901

! I haven't seen one yet as I'm ***patiently*** waiting for my Core15 and Core16 WUs to finish...

----------

mebbe turn down the clock a bit until Core17 comes back?

wow, a half dozen 260s -- that's how you got so many points before!

and I usually keep folding on my cards until they get so few points that it isn't worth it before passing them on -- so I don't even bother asking others to fold for me... just so their sons can have fun gaming! (parents sometimes don't appreciate that though :D)

i guess i gotta turn beta back on.

yeah core17 is back!

yeah i went kinda crazy with gpu's for a min there. of course, they were all under $300 each. not $700.

yeah i asked them to fold, but once they stopped it didn't matter. when i gave it the system was worth maybe 15k ppd total, but not anymore. i agree that i like to hand off systems to those that can't afford them though.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
This 8901 is impressive:

The second run gave me 44.5k credit (~217k PPD) :D
TPF was 3min; double speed of the first WU.

image.jpg

If you guys stop folding for a day I can make it third or second place in the top producer list. Once our 780 comes in Im lost again; waiting for your PPD :eek:

Saw in another blog a Titan was doing around 400kPPD.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
This 8901 is impressive:

View attachment 421775

If you guys stop folding for a day I can make it third or second place in the top producer list. Once our 780 comes in Im lost again; waiting for your PPD :eek:

that's crazy! I'm still stuck on 8900 and that was a relief after the Core15 and 16s.

now there'll be a run on titans...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well, in the range of addictive and destructive activities, F@H strikes me as fairly benign...

i agree. but 5 x 780 = $3,500 plus tax

This 8901 is impressive:

View attachment 421775

the 8901 i had was only giving me around 150k ppd. i'll check on the next to see if it looks better

that's crazy! I'm still stuck on 8900 and that was a relief after the Core15 and 16s.

now there'll be a run on titans...

they had titans right beside the 780 when i got it. i just can't buy a card that costs more than the computer it's going in! :eek:

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
i agree. but 5 x 780 = $3,500 plus tax

the 8901 i had was only giving me around 150k ppd. i'll check on the next to see if it looks better

they had titans right beside the 780 when i got it. i just can't buy a card that costs more than the computer it's going in! :eek:

yeah, and then of course it's the power to run them!

I haven't had any of the 8901s yet but it'd seem odd to have such a point disparity; either higher or lower than the 8900s... probably best to see how it all settles out before making any new purchases...

...and I didn't say I'd be part of the run on Titans -- I've hit the limit several times over already!

and the Titan only costs so much because we're realizing we can skimp on the rest of the computer to run the cards...

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
P8901 right now is suspended; due to inconsistency between WU with respect to steps. Some had less steps (thats why they are soooo fast). Monday seems a new assignment is possible.

Back to 8900, one more time.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
yeah, and then of course it's the power to run them!

I haven't had any of the 8901s yet but it'd seem odd to have such a point disparity; either higher or lower than the 8900s... probably best to see how it all settles out before making any new purchases...

...and I didn't say I'd be part of the run on Titans -- I've hit the limit several times over already!

and the Titan only costs so much because we're realizing we can skimp on the rest of the computer to run the cards...

yeah i'm not making anymore purchases right now. even though i'm tempted.

P8901 right now is suspended; due to inconsistency between WU with respect to steps. Some had less steps (thats why they are soooo fast). Monday seems a new assignment is possible.

Back to 8900, one more time.

that didn't take long. for some reason my 780 was starting to get hot last night and the clock slowed down. not sure why, i got another 8900, but it was running over 4:00 per frame. i changed some settings and hopefully it'll be back to around 3:00 tpf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.