Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
I've noticed that team Macrumors.com is losing active users since I have restarted folding@home, plus their is hardly any one joining the team :(

So this is a shut out, any one who is folding@home and any one who had once folded, post a message in this thread lets show the forums just how strong our team used to be.

Any one who once folded, come back and help the cause and the team once again. We don't need to fold 24 7 we just need you in your computers idle time to fold.

Any one who has not folded at all, folding@home is project of Stanford University to turn the worlds computers into a large super computer to fold proteins. Protein folding is linked to disease, such as Alzheimer's, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers. This is an opportunity to do charity and have competive fun in the form of a points system.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/21908/

We need to get more involement! I was thinking a pass it on, where we send out a private message about team folding and then they need to forward it on to 3 other members on the forum.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Serious out of over 400,000 members on this forum we have 69 members contribiting to folding@home. Even so team Macrumors.com is ranked 58 world wide, thats an incredible thing. We used to be ranked 23, years ago there is no reason we can't grow again!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i don't think we can do 'pass it on' thing on this forum. but we do need more involvement.

i know a lot of people on this forum have some very nice computer power. and i'm sure they do use them 24/7 either. we could be a great team. i'm doing all i can already

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
i don't think we can do 'pass it on' thing on this forum. but we do need more involvement.

i know a lot of people on this forum have some very nice computer power. and i'm sure they do use them 24/7 either. we could be a great team. i'm doing all i can already

Thats great, I'm doing all I can to at the moment. Might not be able to cope with all that PPD as it is a laptop doing it all :D My goal is to get to 100k in points then to get into the top 100 :)

Remember all those who join, team number is 3446.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
i'll be getting more involved with this as soon as my electricity supplier has finally changed, should be a couple of weeks, my current love overcharging me for leaving things running 24/7.

i'll also try and sort out the software for my ps3, i barely use that so it'd prolly out do my computer looool
Powermac G5 dual 2.0Ghz teh Mac Pro is coming later this year hopefully :D

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Everyone has lost interest in doing this kind of thing I guess. Maybe when they removed the screensaver, for good reasons, it wasn't as interesting for some people. Upgrading to new clients can be a hassle.

I think if the stats were more interesting, I would like to have a better way to see how I'm doing against people on other teams.

Kakaostats may go by the wayside, he doesn't have individual stats anymore and the rest of his stats are questionable because of some bug.:(

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
i'll be getting more involved with this as soon as my electricity supplier has finally changed, should be a couple of weeks, my current love overcharging me for leaving things running 24/7.

At least you can change providers, at least where I live there is only one so I'm stuck with what I have to pay:(

i'll also try and sort out the software for my ps3, i barely use that so it'd prolly out do my computer looool

Ps3's are quite fast when it comes to folding so it may indeed outpace your G5 :p

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Everyone has lost interest in doing this kind of thing I guess. Maybe when they removed the screensaver, for good reasons, it wasn't as interesting for some people. Upgrading to new clients can be a hassle.

I think if the stats were more interesting, I would like to have a better way to see how I'm doing against people on other teams.

Kakaostats may go by the wayside, he doesn't have individual stats anymore and the rest of his stats are questionable because of some bug.:(

We need to get more users in the team and have it competitive between us and also track the teams PPD. The stats are really fun and is what makes me want to produce more then I would otherwise do :D

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Every little bit helps. But what we really need is people with 8 cores plus (virtual, desktop machine) running bigadv, at least until faster GPU and/or a GPU client for mac.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Every little bit helps. But what we really need is people with 8 cores plus (virtual, desktop machine) running bigadv, at least until faster GPU and/or a GPU client for mac.

Glad to hear from other users on the forum :)

We have lost more active users since I started this thread :( Come on every one, every bit helps. Hell if we had 1000 users folding 100 points a day that would go a long way, and for those who don't fold 100 points is not that hard for a modern computer :)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I'd like to help. I think my PS3 can do Folding.

yes, the ps3 can fold. just remember to join team 3446! and your ps3 should get around 900-1000 ppd (points per day)

sounds good :) we need all the help we can get. and that mac pro will do nicely!

do you ever use these stats?

you can see other individuals also. and see how you rank against them

yeah we do. of course GPU folding in windows helps also. but not as good as bigadv. apple needs to release the new mac pros soon!

Glad to hear from other users on the forum :)

We have lost more active users since I started this thread :( Come on every one, every bit helps. Hell if we had 1000 users folding 100 points a day that would go a long way, and for those who don't fold 100 points is not that hard for a modern computer :)

yes we do need more users. 1,000 users @ 100 ppd is 100,000 ppd. whiterabbit is doing almost that by himself!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

GSX

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
I have heard of Folding@home at it sounds interesting. I like the idea of helping scientists with their experiments.

Unfortunately I have two problems with this.

1) Ultimately where does all this research go? Who is benefitting from it all? I can't help but think that all this research will just enable some multi-billion dollar drug company to come up with some pill that they can patent and make billions of more dollars. I tried reading the faqs of Folding@home, but it does not really say where all this research is going. I am sure the scientists mean well with their research, but ultimately they will not be the ones creating the drugs to cure these diseases. Drug companies will be doing that, and they are strictly profit oriented.

2) My electricity prices are going up by about 10% so I really don't like the idea of my iMac running 24-7 eating up electricity, and adding to the wear and tear of my system. I'm not sure what the monthly cost would be running Folding@home, but I'm sure it adds up.

Can anyone here comment on these concerns?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I have heard of Folding@home at it sounds interesting. I like the idea of helping scientists with their experiments.

Unfortunately I have two problems with this.

1) Ultimately where does all this research go? Who is benefitting from it all? I can't help but think that all this research will just enable some multi-billion dollar drug company to come up with some pill that they can patent and make billions of more dollars. I tried reading the faqs of Folding@home, but it does not really say where all this research is going. I am sure the scientists mean well with their research, but ultimately they will not be the ones creating the drugs to cure these diseases. Drug companies will be doing that, and they are strictly profit oriented.

2) My electricity prices are going up by about 10% so I really don't like the idea of my iMac running 24-7 eating up electricity, and adding to the wear and tear of my system. I'm not sure what the monthly cost would be running Folding@home, but I'm sure it adds up.

Can anyone here comment on these concerns?

Well you do have a point. I can't really comment about it, other than that I don't know.

And yes, electricity costs do add up. But I still believe that it's a good thing to do

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
GSX said:
Ultimately where does all this research go? Who is benefitting from it all? I can't help but think that all this research will just enable some multi-billion dollar drug company to come up with some pill that they can patent and make billions of more dollars. I tried reading the faqs of Folding@home, but it does not really say where all this research is going. I am sure the scientists mean well with their research, but ultimately they will not be the ones creating the drugs to cure these diseases. Drug companies will be doing that, and they are strictly profit oriented.

per the FAQ on the F@H page...

Who "owns" the results? What will happen to them?

"Unlike other distributed computing projects, Folding@home is run by an academic institution (specifically the Pande Group, at Stanford University's - Chemistry Department), which is a nonprofit institution dedicated to science research and education. We will not sell the data or make any money off of it.

Moreover, we will make the data available for others to use. In particular, the results from Folding@home will be made available on several levels. Most importantly, analysis of the simulations will be submitted to scientific journals for publication, and these journal articles will be posted on the web page after publication. Next, after publication of these scientific articles that analyze the data, the raw data of the folding runs will be available for everyone, including other researchers, here on this web site."

it's open source science. everyone participates, everyone wins.

GSX said:

the cost of gasoline is up also, but i still drive my paper/plastic/glass to the city recycle point to keep it out of a landfill. i guess i don't get the point of the question. if you can afford the small increase in cost due to additional electrical usage, then fold. if not, don't.

no idea which system you have, but a quick guesstimate of a current imac running folding with the screen set to turn off when not being used would be around 100-120w, so like leaving a light bulb on. well, an old school incandescent bulb... you do have all LED and CFLs since you worry about electric rates, right?

if i had only an imac and a desire to fold, i'd leave the imac alone and build a cheap pc system to fold with. no wear and tear, better results, lower cost. just my 2 cents.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Hope to see you join the team GSX, if you don't won't to run it 24/7 don't just have the client on when you use the computer. It is designed so that you do not notice a decrease in speed when using the client.

Great to know the the project is open, I never gave it that much thought :eek: Still even if it was run at a profit the fact is a cure has still occured :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.