Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matty-p

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
ive got a ps3 and a mac pro coming monday or tuesday so will contribute these to project ps3 +24/7 (i did a weeks folding for toms hardware a month os so ago and i got 1250 ppd just on the ps3) mac pro probly only about 5-6 hours a day but more like 15 hours in the school holidays and weekends :rolleyes:! could you suggest a client for the mac :confused:?? and i think i will start a new folding acount but just to make sure you can put more than one client/machine on one acount/username also how many ppd can the 2009 quad core enty leval mac pro achive on 24/7 ????

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
Call me ignorant, but what results has folding at home produced thus far? I'm looking for hard statistics, not "you contributed to x".

not ignorant, just didn't know where to look i guess...

now onto results which can be found at the F@H page!

LINK to the published papers (results) page, and a really cool MOVIE here. might no be much to watch, but the difference between folding a couple years ago and that movie are like the difference between a paper plane and the space shuttle. we have come a long way in a short period of time, and it only gets better with new clients and more people participating.

to put it a different way, if you would have been folding in 2007, you would have been part of the record...

Guinness World Record said:
September 2007: Guinness World Record. From their award: On 16 September 2007, Folding@home, a distributed computing network operating from Stanford University (USA) achieved a computing power of 1 petaflop -- or 1 quadrillion floating point operations per second. The project uses the power of peoples' home computers, as well as their PlayStation3s, to simulate the processes inside living cells that can lead to diseases, such as Alzheimer's Disease.

it's real, it matters, the more people that help, the better the results.

keepfolding.gif

macinside

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2010
There was a study a bit ago that showed that complexity drastically reduced participation in altruistic activities, while simplicity -- especially exact instructions on how to participate -- drastically increased participation.

I think that's applies here. Using a Mac is so simple, generally speaking, that the folding@home pages seem obtuse in comparison. The pages are all ugly, and instructions are unclear, and files seem to be missing that instruction pages reference.

To increase participation I recommend that a very clear communicator make a new thread (perhaps a sticky) with *dead simple* step by step instructions w/screenshots on how to install and turn it on (circa 2010). Maybe even a screen flow that just shows exactly how to it, hosted on a service with crystal clear video like vimeo.com. Get our mirror neurons goin', yaknow?

Case in point, I'm having my own issues. Where exactly is the screen saver? On http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/OSX/OSX.html, it talks about it, and say to grab it off the download page, but I just can't find it. Makes me feel dumb, which is hardly what you want in a social endeavor.

Beyond my notebooks, I also have 2 8 Core Mac Pro's I'd like to put into the game, but I really only want the processor power being used when they're idle. I need that power to myself at the other times. Screen saver or idle time processing is perfect.

Second, I did install just the basic install of http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/Folding@home-OSX10.5-6.29.3.pkg.zip in the meantime. Activated the client in System Preferences, and hit the enable button. When does this thing activate? It's not showing any activity in Activity Monitor yet. I guess maybe this does idle time processing w/o any visual feedback?

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
...I think that's applies here. Using a Mac is so simple, generally speaking, that the folding@home pages seem obtuse in comparison. The pages are all ugly, and instructions are unclear, and files seem to be missing that instruction pages reference.

To increase participation I recommend that a very clear communicator make a new thread (perhaops a sticky) with *dead simple* step by step instructions w/screenshorts on how to install and turn it on (circa 2010). Maybe even a screen flow that just shows exactly how to it, hosted on a service with crystal clear video like vimeo.com. Get our mirror neurons goin', yaknow?

i agree 100% with everything you just said. that said, which version, of which client, on which system, running which OS.... :confused::eek: you get the idea. it's a huge program with lots of different possible setups, and can be a real nightmare to get/keep running.

i know lots about folding, but have no idea how to help you with your current setup questions, the big units are way out of my league, and anything posted in a sticky will likely be out of date very quickly. it's dynamic and changes and updates on a regular basis. that's a good thing, but it makes keeping up with folding very difficult and time consuming.

forums like this and the official F@H forums are a really good place to start. asking questions (like you already did) is a great start, because everyone here/there want to fold and help others fold, as it's the point of the whole thing. more people folding is always better than less, therefore help all who ask. there are several here running clients on systems just like yours and will likely respond in turn. best of luck getting it sorted out.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
yeah lol my ps3 has already completed 2 work unit's whilst my G5 is lagging at 38% on it's first :O lmao roll on teh pro :D

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
There was a study a bit ago that showed that complexity drastically reduced participation in altruistic activities, while simplicity -- especially exact instructions on how to participate -- drastically increased participation.

I think that's applies here. Using a Mac is so simple, generally speaking, that the folding@home pages seem obtuse in comparison. The pages are all ugly, and instructions are unclear, and files seem to be missing that instruction pages reference.

Well put, the instructions are way out of date, hard to follow for beginners and make references that are no longer valid.

To increase participation I recommend that a very clear communicator make a new thread (perhaps a sticky) with *dead simple* step by step instructions w/screenshots on how to install and turn it on (circa 2010). Maybe even a screen flow that just shows exactly how to it, hosted on a service with crystal clear video like vimeo.com. Get our mirror neurons goin', yaknow?

Case in point, I'm having my own issues. Where exactly is the screen saver? On http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/OSX/OSX.html, it talks about it, and say to grab it off the download page, but I just can't find it. Makes me feel dumb, which is hardly what you want in a social endeavor.

As far as the screen saver, it no longer exists, which is why you can't find it. Sometime in the past it was deemed detrimental to folding because it was using up valuble resources the could be used for folding. And we all go through a 'feeling dumb' stage after which you go through an 'oh well I'll do the best I can' stage, which lasts as long as you continue to fold.

Beyond my notebooks, I also have 2 8 Core Mac Pro's I'd like to put into the game, but I really only want the processor power being used when they're idle. I need that power to myself at the other times. Screen saver or idle time processing is perfect.

It would be great to have your Mac Pros folding and I understand your concern. The clients are supposed to ease up as other process use more cpu power but I have read where this doesn't always seem to work as for someone using video software etc. I suppose you could try and see if it works for you and if not... There should be new cpu software sometime in the future that "may" work better, but we will have to see.

Second, I did install just the basic install of http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/Folding@home-OSX10.5-6.29.3.pkg.zip in the meantime. Activated the client in System Preferences, and hit the enable button. When does this thing activate? It's not showing any activity in Activity Monitor yet. I guess maybe this does idle time processing w/o any visual feedback?

It sounds like it might not be running properly, did you set up a username and team? I'm running a different client that doesn't work through the prefs pane but I'll try to get back to you with something that might help, in the meantime try here. Good luck! Oh I forget to mention that they are having trouble getting enough work units out for everyone to crunch, maybe that is why your client isn't running...

daygoKid19

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Orange County
thanks for welcoming me. i had a windows box running SETI all day but saw that Macrumors had a folding@home team so decided to join in. i have a question though, does having a dedicated GPU help out alot? Right the computer only has integrated graphics.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
thanks for welcoming me. i had a windows box running SETI all day but saw that Macrumors had a folding@home team so decided to join in. i have a question though, does having a dedicated GPU help out alot? Right the computer only has integrated graphics.

welcome to the team and thanks for joining!

as for a dedicated GPU, it depends. you can run a GPU folding client, which will use your video card for folding, and you can still run a CPU client also. right now, nvidia cards work much better for folding.

what setup do you have now?

daygoKid19

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Orange County
welcome to the team and thanks for joining!

as for a dedicated GPU, it depends. you can run a GPU folding client, which will use your video card for folding, and you can still run a CPU client also. right now, nvidia cards work much better for folding.

what setup do you have now?
its running a 2.6 Ghz Dual Core with 2 GB of memory, Intel GMA X4500, and windows xp. it just runs F@H at the moment so i would like to use it to the best of its ability.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
ok in the last 2 days, my ps3 has folded 9 WU's in the same time my G5 has managed 68% on it's first WU :O the G5 is being turned off for now lol will resume main machine folding when i get my mac pro

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
Are you sure it's not a big unit that is worth a lot of points?

i honestly have no idea lol

just looked at the preferences and under settings it was set as no preference, does that mean big WU's? i dont think the G5 has the muscle to kick the big WU's under the deadlines.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
i honestly have no idea lol

just looked at the preferences and under settings it was set as no preference, does that mean big WU's? i dont think the G5 has the muscle to kick the big WU's under the deadlines.

The G5 doesn't have the power for big wu's, from my experience they don't make good folding machines which is too bad as there are a lot of them still out there.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
The G5 doesn't have the power for big wu's, from my experience they don't make good folding machines which is too bad as there are a lot of them still out there.

lol i didnt think so, not with twoodcc talking about i7's and such
been thinking about swallowing the mac pro pride, and going the hackintosh route, been reading the F@H FAQ about the gpu's an such, and i'd get a tonne more hackintosh for my money then i would mac pro, so i may go down that route, would prolly make upgrading things to stay current a lot easier then the mac pro too :D

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
lol i didnt think so, not with twoodcc talking about i7's and such
been thinking about swallowing the mac pro pride, and going the hackintosh route, been reading the F@H FAQ about the gpu's an such, and i'd get a tonne more hackintosh for my money then i would mac pro, so i may go down that route, would prolly make upgrading things to stay current a lot easier then the mac pro too :D

that's not a bad route to go at this point. but remember, for gpu folding you have to use windows, at least for now.

any you really only get a tone of points if you overclock or run multiple gpus in windows

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
that's not a bad route to go at this point. but remember, for gpu folding you have to use windows, at least for now.

any you really only get a tone of points if you overclock or run multiple gpus in windows

thats what i was thinking about the mac pro, load one up with 4 gfx cards, or a hackintosh running osx, windows on bootcamp using the extra gfx cores and the main F@H on the OSx side with the cpu,

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
thats what i was thinking about the mac pro, load one up with 4 gfx cards, or a hackintosh running osx, windows on bootcamp using the extra gfx cores and the main F@H on the OSx side with the cpu,

remember though, you can't use the gpu's in OS X, only in windows right now. so the only way to use both gpu and cpu at the same time is in windows, unless you are good in linux, i've heard people getting it to work

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
remember though, you can't use the gpu's in OS X, only in windows right now. so the only way to use both gpu and cpu at the same time is in windows, unless you are good in linux, i've heard people getting it to work

Using WINE can work but it isn't easy, I tried and wasn't able to get it working. I will have to try again sometime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.