Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Wow the team is doing really good at the moment, we are set to overtake now before we get overtaken ourseleves. We have some 11 new members over the last week and have over 80 folder, lets get this to 100 :D

Go team this is very exciting.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Wow the team is doing really good at the moment, we are set to overtake now before we get overtaken ourseleves. We have some 11 new members over the last week and have over 80 folder, lets get this to 100 :D

Go team this is very exciting.

yeah we are looking a little better, but we have a long way to go!

but i believe the more active we are in this forum, the more people will join

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Here is a good stat to look at, we are #52 at crunching but 58 position. Our outlook is better, but really it is just enough for keeping our spot.

Hopefully the release of GPU3 for macs, a3 bigadv and 12 cores mac pro will help.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Here is a good stat to look at, we are #52 at crunching but 58 position. Our outlook is better, but really it is just enough for keeping our spot.

Hopefully the release of GPU3 for macs, a3 bigadv and 12 cores mac pro will help.

yeah all of those will help. especially that new mac pro. but even then, unless we are more active on this forum, people won't join the team

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
yeah all of those will help. especially that new mac pro. but even then, unless we are more active on this forum, people won't join the team

Very much agree, we have had great new participation for new users, even 100-200 ppd from a user is great and still will help the team out.

Since begining again and having lower points, I have now 2 dangerous enemies that are trying to take me out, stay away daygokid619 and Oculus, I have to admit it really is fun and I will make sure that none of you overtake me so I have recruited my iBook and old P4 to give me an extra 200ppd :eek::p

I might build a system soon as well as my main is getting really old, should be able to afford it in 3-6 months, what do you guys recommend, I am on a thight budget. Thinking an AMD Phenom with 4gb of ram and a Nvidea gtx260?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Very much agree, we have had great new participation for new users, even 100-200 ppd from a user is great and still will help the team out.

Since begining again and having lower points, I have now 2 dangerous enemies that are trying to take me out, stay away daygokid619 and Oculus, I have to admit it really is fun and I will make sure that none of you overtake me so I have recruited my iBook and old P4 to give me an extra 200ppd :eek::p

I might build a system soon as well as my main is getting really old, should be able to afford it in 3-6 months, what do you guys recommend, I am on a thight budget. Thinking an AMD Phenom with 4gb of ram and a Nvidea gtx260?

agreed. and i've seen other very active forums where they have give-aways and stuff for the "folder of the month" and such. i've even seen some members give other members video cards or computers, as long as they agree to use it for folding.

as far as a new system on a budget - what is your budget, and when do you plan on buying? both of those factors play a part

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
agreed. and i've seen other very active forums where they have give-aways and stuff for the "folder of the month" and such. i've even seen some members give other members video cards or computers, as long as they agree to use it for folding.

as far as a new system on a budget - what is your budget, and when do you plan on buying? both of those factors play a part

I was thinking could Arn not give out a paid subscription to the forums for a year say when you hit milestones of 250,000 points or so, so from Jan to Dec if you accumulate a minium you get the next year?

Budget is around AUS$800-1000, and I will be getting most of the parts in 3 to 4 months unless there is new tech coming not to long after it?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I was thinking could Arn not give out a paid subscription to the forums for a year say when you hit milestones of 250,000 points or so?

Budget is around AUS$800-1000, and I will be getting most of the parts in 3 to 4 months unless there is new tech coming not to long after it?

i would love it if Arn would do that!

what is that American?

it depends if you want to go intel or amd. also, you have to consider that the new GPU client is coming eventually, which should help ATI video cards greatly

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
i would love it if Arn would do that!

what is that American?

it depends if you want to go intel or amd. also, you have to consider that the new GPU client is coming eventually, which should help ATI video cards greatly

Australian dollars, I thought AMD just so I could afford a better GPU, maybe even a GTX285. Is ATI going to get better by a lot? I have only looked at Nvidea because of folding. I will use the rig for light gaming but would love to play WOW on High and any current games at Med with 1080 res.

What Intel would you recommend on a budget?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Australian dollars, I thought AMD just so I could afford a better GPU, maybe even a GTX285. Is ATI going to get better by a lot? I have only looked at Nvidea because of folding. I will use the rig for light gaming but would love to play WOW on High and any current games at Med with 1080 res.

What Intel would you recommend on a budget?

i mean what is $800 Australian in American dollars?

the reason i bring up the next GPU client is b/c i've heard it will be better with ATI cards than the current client. now i'm not sure if the ATI cards will pass nvidia or not though (i doubt it, but i'm just not sure).

right now intel is better than amd for folding, but that doesn't mean you can't fold with it.

with intel, if you go with let's say an i3 or i5 processor, you can always upgrade later. but keep in mind that i3, i5, and i7 860 use a different socket than the i7 920/930 and up.

daygoKid19

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Orange County

I must say it has been fun watching the stats, accumulating points and moving up the chart. The only thing at the moment i have running is the GPU system tray client which seems to be doing pretty well by itself. Oh and by the way i will catch you one day DeSnousa.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
i mean what is $800 Australian in American dollars?

the reason i bring up the next GPU client is b/c i've heard it will be better with ATI cards than the current client. now i'm not sure if the ATI cards will pass nvidia or not though (i doubt it, but i'm just not sure).

right now intel is better than amd for folding, but that doesn't mean you can't fold with it.

with intel, if you go with let's say an i3 or i5 processor, you can always upgrade later. but keep in mind that i3, i5, and i7 860 use a different socket than the i7 920/930 and up.

Ahh stuff it I will spend roughly 900-1100 US dollars, so if you had that kind of money what would you get, don't need a screen, nor Windows 7. I appreciate your thought and help.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I must say it has been fun watching the stats, accumulating points and moving up the chart. The only thing at the moment i have running is the GPU system tray client which seems to be doing pretty well by itself. Oh and by the way i will catch you one day DeSnousa.

glad you're having fun! and hopefully you'll add more systems soon!

Ahh stuff it I will spend roughly 900-1100 US dollars, so if you had that kind of money what would you get, don't need a screen, nor Windows 7. I appreciate your thought and help.

ok, if you can spend about $1,100 US dollars then i'd go for an i7 930 system. that way it's plenty upgradeable and depending on the motherboard, you can add GPUs later.

do you plan to build yourself?

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia

Well you are 3 months away at the moment! Hopefully by then I will have a new rig, but I look forward to the day you catch me!

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
ok, if you can spend about $1,100 US dollars then i'd go for an i7 930 system. that way it's plenty upgradeable and depending on the motherboard, you can add GPUs later.

do you plan to build yourself?

I did plan on building myself but I might get the store to do it for me. I have done HDD, GPUS, CD drives, Ram. I'm just have not done the CPU and I am affraid I will bend all the bits on it. Also all the cords that attach everywhere might confuse me, like power on button.

Would I need to overclock the 930 system, never done a thing like that before. Does it really add to the ppd, also I will be using the system myself so it will not fold 24/7.

Would a good GPU not be better then a Intel 930?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I did plan on building myself but I might get the store to do it for me. I have done HDD, GPUS, CD drives, Ram. I'm just have not done the CPU and I am affraid I will bend all the bits on it. Also all the cords that attach everywhere might confuse me, like power on button.

Would I need to overclock the 930 system, never done a thing like that before. Does it really add to the ppd, also I will be using the system myself so it will not fold 24/7.

Would a good GPU not be better then a Intel 930?

if you get an i7 930: you can run bigadv units, but you will need to overclock at least some. if you build the system yourself, an slight overclock is very easy (my motherboad has a 'dummy overclock' setting to set it to 3.2 ghz).

with bigadv units and the smp2 units, you get a bonus for how quick you return the work unit. a 930 at 4.0 ghz is about the same as a 2 x 2.26 ghz mac pro. but 4.0 ghz isn't easy.

so, if you don't feel like overclocking at least a little bit, you can just run the smp2 units. they still give a bonus, just they are worth less points.

GPUs use more power and create more heat. the big GPUs use a ton of power and cost quite a bit of money. i can look into a GPU vs 930 more later if you like.

the reason i recommend the 930 is b/c you can always add a GPU down the road.

also, i've not had that great of an experience building my own, so i kinda recommend buying one already built

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
I have noticed that a lot of the new folders (including myself) are folding a lot of points for the team, great to see :)

I have now hit the 6k red colour for folding :cool: Need some more competition now on the lower score table :p (no point trying to chase the others ;)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I have noticed that a lot of the new folders (including myself) are folding a lot of points for the team, great to see :)

I have now hit the 6k red colour for folding :cool: Need some more competition now on the lower score table :p (no point trying to chase the others ;)

good for you and others! :)

hey there's always a point to chase others! i myself will be dwindling down soon it looks like. so you gotta chase me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.