Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by kishba
i wish i could leave more computers on at my house... my parents are angry with me leaving my g4 867 on all night already... luckily i left my coworkers pc on doing this for the weekend... it may finish one unit (it's a PIII 500... think it will finish a unit in 3 days?)
From the FAQ:
How long does it take to finish a work unit? How do you measure a work unit?

This varies, of course, on the speed of the computer and the size of the protein under study. Depending on the protein and the property studied, different size work units may be used. In general, a 400 MHz Pentium III can finish a unit in about 24 hours, although some units are shorter.
also my g4 is almost 75% done with its first protein... i restarted a new protein when i downloaded the folding control client
Make sure that YOUR username and team # are in the prefs for Folding Control, otherwise your work goes to MacAddict4Life!

I've got a WU coming in in a few straight from my s900. Next time, I'm running this from the console, w/o Aqua overhead.

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
to make sure my name/team are in my prefs i just put them in the "user info" tab right?

i certainly hope i didn't do all this work just to help another team...

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
to make sure my name/team are in my prefs i just put them in the "user info" tab right?

i certainly hope i didn't do all this work just to help another team...
Yes, that's all. A team member of MacAddict4Life wrote it, so of course the default would be their team.

The user info is only referenced when sending in WU's, so just make sure your name's in there.

polymerase

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2002
Boston MA, New England USA
i wish i could leave more computers on at my house... my parents are angry with me leaving my g4 867 on all night already... luckily i left my

I feel like I am consorting with the enemy but pitch the scientific value to your parents. The folding your computer does might be the key to Alzheimers. Ask them if they have forgotten where their car keys were lately. ;) And the information that comes from the folding project is not just for clues for that one particular protein. They are looking for the rule book for protein folding. The book may be enormous because of the folding possibilities but every clue can illuminate all unknown proteins. There are a lot of 'em.

Set your energy saver to shut the screen down after 20 minutes and your hard drive. Then your computer is burning far fewer watts than (insert night-light here if you want to fib a bit).

ps. Alzheimers makes you forget what the car keys are for but if they have asked that question lately the folding program isn't going to help.

MacRumors: you haven't caught MacCentral yet!

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Originally posted by polymerase
MacRumors: you haven't caught MacCentral yet!

thanks for your suggestion but they also complain about the noise... and if it's noisy it must use lots of energy!! (sarcasm, please)

and we'll catch up to you one day !!!

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I having nothing to do but smell my fathers day Osso Buco cook so I have been checking the numbers.

You might catch is in ONE day. :eek:

You guys have definitely upped your output...kudos!

Nothing like somebody breathing down your neck to get you motivated.;)

Give us a couple days...Monday at the latest.:D

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
OK there's probably something like this already in these forums, but I can find it, so please forgive me...

I run CLI SETI full time. I'm more than happy to help out with folding... so I run it as my screeensaver. I have a G4 933 and it's seriously taken 200+ hours to get through my current WU... I read something about running SETI and Folding at the same time, and they said that the CLI versions of the two should work together fine. Just wondering if that means the screensaver version might not work well?

I've run top... SETI and folding each share around 1/2 of the CPU.

If I can't run the screensaver version (which I won't do after I finish my current unit) is there anything similar to SETIdockling for folding? I know of that folding control thing, but hiding it all the time annoys me. (I'm easily annoyed by these kinds of things :))

Also, usinf folding control (or any other al=pp you might suggest) is there any way I can set the nice value for folding like I can with SETI?

Go team folding... we're about to pass mac central. Feels nice beating my old team mates :)

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
good news guys... i almost have my first unit done!! expect to see my name on the list in less than a day!!!

i'll keep up the pace :)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Wow! That happened sooner than I expected!:D

They might jump back in front briefly again, depending on how the WUs come in over the next 12 hours or so...but only temporarily.

Great job everyone...next goal, the mothership!

Apple Computer Inc. is in 64th right now.:eek:

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
it'd be absolutely hilarious if we beat apple... i'd love it to pieces....

come on!! more members, more units!

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
If I hadn't started my own team for my company, I would join the MacRumors team (maybe). Whatever the case guys, it's the research the really counts (the competition is just an added bonus).

TeraRWM

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2002
Middleton, WI
Folding@HOME, what would be more fun? Having many Mac OS X teams fight ranking anywhere from 5-500? Or all joining one team and showing those Wintel users who have 'Altivec' power! Join Team Mac OS X, we are a bunch of Mac OS X users that rank 25 and are moving on up! Join the wonders of Mac OS X as one, not many....or whatever...

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by TeraRWM
Folding@HOME, what would be more fun? Having many Mac OS X teams fight ranking anywhere from 5-500? Or all joining one team and showing those Wintel users who have 'Altivec' power! Join Team Mac OS X, we are a bunch of Mac OS X users that rank 25 and are moving on up! Join the wonders of Mac OS X as one, not many....or whatever...

You guys really need the help to pass up MacAdict4Life, hunh. ;) :p

Altivec won't even be supported until the next version comes out for Mac...:(

Go team MacRumors!

resm

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2002
Singapore
easy way to get this going ?

I joined the folding team some time ago.

About the same time when Beej reported to have password problems after downloading the screensaver version, the same version I used.

I did register under macrumors team.

After finishing one unit (after about 12 hrs) it just restarted with the same unit (same unit name was indicated)

When I stoped and restarted, it started at 0 again.

Besides I encountered serious slow down on my system so thats when I deleted everything.

I had it running on my iMac 800 on cable so that would be a good setup to do something useful.

So, if somebody could guide me trough a proper and simple setup (something like Macs for Dummies style) then I would be more then eager to try again.

Sorry....I know the links and info have been posted here before but always in bits and pieces.

I think if we could get the whole package in one go, inclusive links and how to send back a unit when finished and where can we check if we are included in the macrumors team and team status, more people would be willing to join.

From that instruction we could make a link whenever there is a newbie who would like to join.

maybe even make a new thread:

"how to join he folding team...for dummies" :D

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Re: You haven't seen the last of us !

we'll stick to your shoe and you won't be able to shake us.

I've always thought of you as something that I might accidently step on (in a park for example) and can't get off my shoe.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
About all this merging talk, it'd be nice to join forces, but it's really counterproductive-- each WU has it's own username/team. So the best we can hope for is to have many Mac teams to counter the Windows teams.

Don't get me wrong, joining forces would be cool, but we can't just leave our current work behind. Especially with the output of those Windows teams. We'd never catch up.

So let's just stay with our current teams and hope for the top 40.

BTW-- Good work everyone. If we could get just 1 WU from most regulars here, that'd be awesome (even though we'd have to train them most of them :))

I would LOVE to see a united mac front against a united Windows front.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Unfortunately, it seems that most of the demi-Gods (besides Beej, jelloshotsrule and myself) haven't taken much interest in the whole Distributed Computing thing.

Oh, well. As long as we get some new members who are completing WUs on a regular basis we'll be doing just fine, regardless of whether they're contributors to the site.:)

Personally I am interested...I just dont think I'll get anything done with my 6500....:rolleyes:

When I get my new tower after they're released in July I will sign up. I just feel like My entire computer would crash if I tried to use folding and do anything else at the same time.

Is it possible to pause a WU? cause if so, and its compatible with my old machine....I'll sign up now.... later all

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by teabgs
Personally I am interested...I just dont think I'll get anything done with my 6500....:rolleyes:

When I get my new tower after they're released in July I will sign up. I just feel like My entire computer would crash if I tried to use folding and do anything else at the same time.

Is it possible to pause a WU? cause if so, and its compatible with my old machine....I'll sign up now.... later all

To answer your question, and resm's-

The best "user-friendly" folding app out there seems to be the Folding Control app by the MacAddict4Life team. You can download it here:
http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=14331&db=mac

It will download the CLI version to your machine and give you a GUI to control it, allowing you to pause WUs and see a % complete readout.

Make sure you change the user info to your username and the MacRumors team id: 3446. Otherwise your points will go to the MacAddict4Life team.

resm

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2002
Singapore
Folding Team

ok....thanks :)

I'm in.....so where do I go later on to see if I exist in Cyberspace and what do I have to do when one unit is done ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.