Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Folding Team

Originally posted by resm
ok....thanks :)

I'm in.....so where do I go later on to see if I exist in Cyberspace and what do I have to do when one unit is done ?
Work units automatically download to your computer and are automatically sent bak when you are done.

To see if you exist in cyberspace, look at our team page here. After you current work unit is sent, it will take a few hours for the server to update and display your info, so be patient.

The time it takes to complete a WU can be from less than a day to ~3 days depending on the value in points of your WU. If they give you one that takes a long time it will be worth 5 points, and if it takes no time it'll be worth <1 point.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
ROWER: that link was for OSX um, dont know if you caught this but....my machine is a PowerMac 6500....uh, its preG3...uh, no OSX...so, is there an OS9 version? and if so can I pause it?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by teabgs
ROWER: that link was for OSX um, dont know if you caught this but....my machine is a PowerMac 6500....uh, its preG3...uh, no OSX...so, is there an OS9 version? and if so can I pause it?

D'oh! Sorry, man, no OS 9 client...otherwise mc68k and I would have another 30 or so CPUs running right now.:mad:

You might want to check with mc68k about running X on unsupported machines...if you're interested.:)

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

D'oh! Sorry, man, no OS 9 client...otherwise mc68k and I would have another 30 or so CPUs running right now.:mad:

You might want to check with mc68k about running X on unsupported machines...if you're interested.:)

well, I would be interested except for the fact that my computer beign as old as it is has a 4GB HD....big back then :D

I have an external 4GB SCSI HD hooked up, but...

Anyway I'm getting one of the new Towers when they're released so it'll have the most power possible as of the time I get it :D I'll put it to work as soon as I've wiped/partitioned the drives and reinstalled what I actually need...and then get all the customization I want done....

Then as long as Im not using a Processor intensive app I'll keep folding running, the Dual 1.4 Hopefully should crank out some WU's pretty nicely

polymerase

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2002
Boston MA, New England USA

Make sure you change the user info to your username and the MacRumors team id: 3446. Otherwise your points will go to the MacAddict4Life team.

That was a typo. Make sure you put in team ID 3007. Repeat number 'till sleepy, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven.

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Originally posted by polymerase

That was a typo. Make sure you put in team ID 3007. Repeat number 'till sleepy, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven, 3007, three double O seven.

that's an even worse typo!

you know you want to switch to 3446 polymerase...

polymerase

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2002
your base are belong to us

Man, you're persistent.:D

Pay no attention to anyone named after an enzyme, MacRumors faithful.:p

We will unleash the forces of helicase, exonuclease, countless palindromic endonucleases, (such as BamH1 sucka), kinases, ligase, hydrogenases, hydrolases, and some mean old oxidoreductase.

Surrender Dorothy. Your little dog too. Switch to 3007 and there will be no bloodshed.

:eek:

ps. my previous metaphor of something sticking to your shoe might be better understood if you think bubblegum. Sticky but not stinky.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: your base are belong to us

We will unleash the forces of helicase, exonuclease, countless palindromic endonucleases, (such as BamH1 sucka), kinases, ligase, hydrogenases, hydrolases, and some mean old oxidoreductase.

Surrender Dorothy. Your little dog too. Switch to 3007 and there will be no bloodshed.

ps. my previous metaphor of something sticking to your shoe might be better understood if you think bubblegum. Sticky but not stinky.

How much longer do you think you can hang on?

We're around 100 points up on you guys...if you hold off on all those DP1Ghz machines you supposedly have lying around it'll be too late.;)

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
I might just join this endeavour to help us eclispe team 80, Russia!

"Former World SuperPower beaten by web site focusing on products which do not yet exist"

Excellent!

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by Nipsy
I might just join this endeavour to help us eclispe team 80, Russia!

"Former World SuperPower beaten by web site focusing on products which do not yet exist"

Excellent!
We could use your help, every WU counts. Whatever the cause, join our team. It's fun and at the same time doing something useful, with a little bit of copetition.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Hehe...

Originally posted by MacAztec
Should I put SETI or Folding on my computers?

The diplomatic thing is to do both...but I think it's obvious which one I would want you to do.;)

Congrats on 1000!:)

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Hehe...

Originally posted by MacAztec
Should I put SETI or Folding on my computers?
Depends of what long-term goal is more value to you finding ET or solving certain diseases.

Another thing to consider: the folding team is currently in 91st place and climbing rapidly, while the SETI team has no hopes os making the top 100, even though their ouput is high.

I'm w/Rower, you know which one we want you to join. :)

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I cranked out my first 5-point unit last night. Took me ages. I've d/l'ed Folding control, and it's motoring along. I should be somewhat more helpful now :)

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
it's been at least 10 hours since i finished my first unit and i am STILL not on the stats page for the team or personal.... is there anyway to make sure my unit was sent?

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by kishba
it's been at least 10 hours since i finished my first unit and i am STILL not on the stats page for the team or personal.... is there anyway to make sure my unit was sent?
Give it a day. If you're not up then, start to wonder.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Re: your base are belong to us

will you also unleash the power of nerd on us? cause we have some pretty big nerds here too just so you know. *cough* *row-dog* *cough*

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Re: Re: your base are belong to us

Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

*cough* *row-dog* *cough*

Now now. That's what we have the private forum for, remember?

I'm thinking of ditching seti and taking up fah. I've put in almost 300 hours of computing time for seti, and am still nowhere near moving up the table, so i figure i'll jump ship. I've done my part for ET, now i'll put in a bit for 'the other team' :)

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
I have 975 SETI units, so there's no way I am going to stop doing SETI until I get to 1000, that will be about noon on Thursday. At that point, I am going to switch to Folding, at least on the computers that are supported. My 1.4GHz Athlon is running OS/2, so it will have to stay with SETI (yes, there's a SETI@home client for OS/2) So anyway, leave a few units for me!

polymerase

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2002
Re: Re: your base are belong to us

Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

will you also unleash the power of nerd on us? cause we have some pretty big nerds here too just so you know. *cough* *row-dog* *cough*

The stuff I type. Sometimes I think. "holy crap I'm a nerd!"
Then I warm up the crack pipe and think, "naaaah." *cough*

ps. delta is 103 and holding.

TypeR389

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2002
Seattle
Why didn't I do this earlier

Man, I have been chewing out Seti units for a LONG time now, wish I would have tried running both. Running both with dual procs is sweet, and my web server is still very responsive at the same time! I will have my 5th WU done tongiht...

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Re: Re: your base are belong to us

ps. delta is 103 and holding.
No one watches the stats more than me, I know the delta. The big test will be when school gets back in and output falls, then things'll get interesting.

I'm watching you guys closely, for now. We've got more pledges recently, so that ∆ will hopefully get larger. You guys are good comp though. :)

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
ok it's been nearly 1.5 days since i finished my first wu... i'm still not showing up on their site in the user or team stats

i'm using the control app and it did finish a unit. it has the right info too.

i'm frustrated. (well only miildly frustrated ;))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.