Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Reactions: arkitect

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Great idea for a thread! (i hope its not just a continuation of the ‘whats for dinner?’ thread, and a general ‘glorious food’ thread)

In that vein, I came across a cool video about Pizzerias in Brooklyn and, Lucali and Di Fara are at the top of my list for my next trip to NYC!

Brooklyn is Pizza Heaven

Cheers

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Great idea for a thread! (i hope its not just a continuation of the ‘whats for dinner?’ thread, and a general ‘glorious food’ thread)

In that vein, I came across a cool video about Pizzerias in Brooklyn and, Lucali and Di Fara are at the top of my list for my next trip to NYC!

Brooklyn is Pizza Heaven

Cheers
Yup. This is about food, food in all forms. (Not just dinner).

Great looking pizzas those. I know Naples is the birthplace, but the best pizza I ever had was in NYC… Mind you, the setting in Naples was better. :D

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Pizza. I'll chime in.

Opinion: Chicago deep dish is vastly inferior to Chicago thin-crust (the kind that's cut into squares).

Pictured: Aurelios. *drool*

12654615_10153873449166445_2573274096304383401_n.0.0.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Not at all; the thread - hopefully - will include discussion and chat about anything about food and everything to do with food (personally, I am fascinated by the history of food); thanks for sharing the video.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I knew I shouldn't have come in here. I'm trying to minimize my food intake to shed a few pounds at the moment. I guess I just love torturing myself. Either that or I just love food too much to not click this thread.
I suggest Diana Krall's "Temptation" as background music for this post this entire thread.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
A bit of lacto-fermenting today!

Brussels Sprouts and Cauliflower.
Some very well aged Sauerkraut lurks in the background.

View attachment 826025
View attachment 826024 View attachment 826026 View attachment 826027 View attachment 826028
It looks absolutely gorgeous! Would love to taste it.

Scepticalscribe, you travelled alot to the countries of the former Soviet Union. And I am sure that you have never tried the most bizarre Russian soup, Okroshka (окрoшка). ;)
It is a cold soup originated at the Volga region.
This classic soup is a mix of mostly raw vegetables (like cucumbers, radishes and spring onions), boiled potatoes, eggs with kvass, which is a non-alcoholic (1.5% or less) beverage made from fermented black or rye bread. Okroshka is usually garnished with sour cream (smetana). Kvass can be replaced with light or diluted kefir, whey, vinegar, mineral water.
The ingredients are diced and then mixed with kvass just before eating; the ratio of chopped food to kvass is similar to that of cereal to milk. This allows the vegetables to retain their texture.
Okroshka is mostly served in summer because the soup combines the refreshing taste of kvass and the lightness of a salad. Salt and sugar can be added according to taste. Okroshka is always served cold. (Source of the résumé)

Окрошка3.jpg

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Two Spanish (or, I suspect perhaps Basque) cheeses (namely idiazabal and garroxta) that I have never encountered.

What are they like?

Breakfast today was (again) cheese - mostly blues - Gorgonzola Cremosa, aged Cashel Blue, and Bleu d'Auvergne on rye bread. With freshly squeezed blood orange juice and Ethiopian coffee.
Yes the idiazabal is basque, and is a sheep’s milk cheese, nutty and even vaguely smokey. The garroxta, as I know it, is a Catalan goat cheese, fabulously earthy. Decilcious. Today we met with more garroxta, and a basque sheep’s milk cheese called Ossau Iraty—a favorite from prior trips to France.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes the idiazabal is basque, and is a sheep’s milk cheese, nutty and even vaguely smokey. The garroxta, as I know it, is a Catalan goat cheese, fabulously earthy. Decilcious. Today we met with more garroxta, and a basque sheep’s milk cheese called Ossau Iraty—a favorite from prior trips to France.

Oh, yes, I do know Ossau-Iraty - for several months a few years ago, that was a firm favourite.

Thanks for the explanations: I shall seek them out (or, ask my cheesemonger whether he can satisfy my curiosity).

It looks absolutely gorgeous! Would love to taste it.

Scepticalscribe, you travelled alot to the countries of the former Soviet Union. And I am sure that you have never tried the most bizarre Russian soup, Okroshka (окрoшка). ;)
It is a cold soup originated at the Volga region.
This classic soup is a mix of mostly raw vegetables (like cucumbers, radishes and spring onions), boiled potatoes, eggs with kvass, which is a non-alcoholic (1.5% or less) beverage made from fermented black or rye bread. Okroshka is usually garnished with sour cream (smetana). Kvass can be replaced with light or diluted kefir, whey, vinegar, mineral water.
The ingredients are diced and then mixed with kvass just before eating; the ratio of chopped food to kvass is similar to that of cereal to milk. This allows the vegetables to retain their texture.
Okroshka is mostly served in summer because the soup combines the refreshing taste of kvass and the lightness of a salad. Salt and sugar can be added according to taste. Okroshka is always served cold. (Source of the résumé)

View attachment 826078

Actually, I have had versions of Okroshka. Delicious.

Likewise, their endless (and often superb) versions of Pilau (pilaff) - especially in the former Soviet central Asia can often be quite superb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulenspiegel

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
It should get you through the night, anyway!
Should keep me satisfied until July. I ordered some powders from Hoosier Hill, too, to make my own bits and pieces instead of buying Snyder's. These are all sourdough pretzels, too. Depth of flavor and all. Also ordered a few mushroom powders from Hoosier Hill.

Going to take a crack at dipping some in white chocolate. Which, in my mind, goes well with the tang of the sourdough pretzel and small bits of salt. Or it'll be disgusting. Who knows.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Should keep me satisfied until July. I ordered some powders from Hoosier Hill, too, to make my own bits and pieces instead of buying Snyder's. These are all sourdough pretzels, too. Depth of flavor and all. Also ordered a few mushroom powders from Hoosier Hill.

Going to take a crack at dipping some in white chocolate. Which, in my mind, goes well with the tang of the sourdough pretzel and small bits of salt. Or it'll be disgusting. Who knows.
White chocolate sourdough pretzels with mushroom powder? Okay whatever works for you man!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
"cage free" is what we, on this Side of The Pond, would refer to as "free range"?
Here "cage free" only means one thing, the chickens are not in cages. We also have "free range" eggs which which means no cage but have a building to live in and they have access to the outdoors. However there are no standards for what "access to the outdoors" means so some egg sellers will only have a tiny patch of land for thousands of birds.
Your best bet in the US is to find a local small farmer or someone who has chickens that are actually free ranging and buy the eggs directly.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Here "cage free" only means one thing, the chickens are not in cages. We also have "free range" eggs which which means no cage but have a building to live in and they have access to the outdoors. However there are no standards for what "access to the outdoors" means so some egg sellers will only have a tiny patch of land for thousands of birds.
Your best bet in the US is to find a local small farmer or someone who has chickens that are actually free ranging and buy the eggs directly.

Thank you for supplying an explanation.

Well, I'm not in the US, (rather, am Across The Pond), but that is exactly what I do each Saturday, in the local farmers' market, when I purchase free range organic eggs from organic producers who raise the hens themselves, and treat them well and ethically.

The eggs are invariably delicious.

Last edited:

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Thank you for supplying an explanation.

Well, I'm not in the US, (rather, am Across The Pond), but that is exactly what I do each Saturday, when I purchase free range organic eggs from organic producers who raise the hens themselves, and treat them well and ethically.

The eggs are invariably delicious.
One of the worst effects of B***t would be US meat "producers" having easy access to our markets. The standards are unbelievably poor in the US. As mentioned in the post you replied to, ethical, organic sources are available, but the standard supermarket meats are pretty awful.

Hormones in the cattle feed. Atrocious living (if you can call it that) conditions… invariably penned and grain fed.
A tub of standard single cream in the US… the contents list so many added ingredients, here in the UK, you get, well, 100% cream.
The US meat industry is a race to the bottom. Cheaply produced in massive quantities is the only goal.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
One of the worst effects of B***t would be US meat "producers" having easy access to our markets. The standards are unbelievably poor in the US. As mentioned in the post you replied to, ethical, organic sources are available, but the standard supermarket meats are pretty awful.

Hormones in the cattle feed. Atrocious living (if you can call it that) conditions… invariably penned and grain fed.
A tub of standard single cream in the US… the contents list so many added ingredients, here in the UK, you get, well, 100% cream.
The US meat industry is a race to the bottom. Cheaply produced in massive quantities is the only goal.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Agreed, and that was why I queried the expression "cage free"? It implied, without quite saying so, something akin to "free range", but it transpires that "cage free" and "free range" mean two quite different things in the US, with the latter not clearly regulated.

The people I buy eggs from tend to head out in the morning to hunt for eggs that the ranging and roaming hens (which approximates to my definition of what I consider to be "free range") have attempted to secrete away or hide. Moreover, and naturally, the hens also have a safe and secure place to stay at night (for warmth and protection from predators).

I support this method of producing eggs not only because it is much better for the environment, the hens lead a better, more enjoyable, more natural, a healthier and happier life, and the poultry farmers who do the work get to receive the money into his or her or their own hands, but - above all - the final and clinching test - eggs laid under such conditions just taste an awful lot better.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.