Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Thankfully companies are understanding the obvious, that is that open floor office environment leads to less collaboration, more frustration, less talk, less sharing, and less innovation. Apple had some sort of internal revolt because of this.
This co isn’t Apple though. It’s okay. And my protein bar was good.

Thankfully, this particular spot is temporary and I’ll be moved to another floor in about four months.

Thinking about possibly having movie popcorn for breakfast this Friday morning as my tentative plan is to see Captain Marvel before work.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
This co isn’t Apple though. It’s okay. And my protein bar was good.

Thankfully, this particular spot is temporary and I’ll be moved to another floor in about four months.

Thinking about possibly having movie popcorn for breakfast this Friday morning as my tentative plan is to see Captain Marvel before work.

Glorious popcorn!

Reactions: kazmac

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Nothing impressive, but I do enjoy cooking.

Penne pasta with Romano-Tomato garlic herb sauce, Rosemary, cracked garlic, fresh mozzarella and two lightly sautéed chicken breasts.

408B4A42-778B-45E6-842D-B5CB68B12F15.jpeg

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
@stylinexpat Any idea of who sells a quality jigglycake?

You mean this one here? In California I have not really found that many good bread and dessert places like they have in Asia unfortunately. Really hard to find nice bakeries in California which I think is due to food cost and labor. In Asia and Europe I think people are willing to spend a little more on nice bread and desserts at a bakery or dessert shop but in California not really for some odd reason. They will spend extra money at a nice restaurant for dinner in Los Angeles and Orange County but I can't see people spending a lot on bread and desserts. When you do see a lot of people it usually is in areas where Asians live and then you will notice that most customers in line are Asian as they tend to spend more on specialty breads, desserts,foods and drinks.

For example the lines for these in Thailand are huge
93F324E2-A198-4332-9944-9CF3087E1E09.jpeg
CCE889B6-AF94-4CAA-AFC7-5B8083C5C4B4.jpeg
DCBB5468-DA99-4B88-BD5D-C1B604A1D6F4.jpeg

[doublepost=1553227276][/doublepost]Talk about creepy :eek:.. My iPhone was on the side and not connected to my computer. I replied to jigglycake from my MacBook Pro. MacBook Pro does not access Facebook or Instagram. When I finished I went to see something from Instagram and the first thing that popped up was a Jigglycake advert :eek:

D4519390-136C-42EF-A461-8AC035602B3C.jpeg

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ah, hopefully one day you'll have some. It's evidence that life has a meaning.

Someday, I must make the acquaintance of the cuisine of that part of the world.

Earlier this week, Chef Paul Prudhomme's classic book, "Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen" was delivered through my letter box.

There are gumbo and jambalaya recipes aplenty, and it looks an amazing work; I hope I can do it justice.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

Earlier this week, Chef Paul Prudhomme's classic book, "Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen" was delivered through my letter box.

There are gumbo and jambalaya recipes aplenty, and it looks an amazing work; I hope I can do it justice.

I am sure you will. Plus when we discuss good food, "justice" means that you like it and makes your day somewhat better; anything else is more or less irrelevant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016

One of the most unique(and seldom heard of) dishes i've tasted in this part of the world is fried okra(YouTube). Incidentally, it is almost always one of my sides with brisket. :)

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
One of the most unique(and seldom heard of) dishes i've tasted in this part of the world is fried okra(YouTube). Incidentally, it is almost always one of my sides with brisket. :)

Those are good. Good food just takes time preparing :) This why I like the countries with low labor because all the foods that require a lot of labor and time can be found there usually.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Some of the regions with really good cuisine (but which happen to be somewhat less affluent) in central - and western - Asia - are demons with sautéed okra; our wonderful Filipina carer sometimes served stunning fried okra dishes.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Question.
I usually have a big sip of port wine after dinner. Gotta have my port! I'm thinking of stepping up to rum, but I haven't the faintest clue about rums. I last crossed paths with an 80-proof rum in university...... it didn't end well....i think....can't remember. I'm looking for something sweet-ish. Any suggestions?

Cheers

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
recipes aplenty, and it looks an amazing
My "Paul Prudhomme Family Cookbook" is one of the most detailed recipe books that I have so you are in good hands. Good luck on the jambalaya. One thing I noted about the Jambalaya recipes from my cookbook is that neither contain Okra which I always considered a "standard" ingredient apparently it can be switched out for cabbage or other.
Or now that I am looking it over as used in his book Jambalaya is a generic term of some sort in the Cajun language???

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My "Paul Prudhomme Family Cookbook" is one of the most detailed recipe books that I have so you are in good hands. Good luck on the jambalaya. One thing I noted about the Jambalaya recipes from my cookbook is that neither contain Okra which I always considered a "standard" ingredient apparently it can be switched out for cabbage or other.
Or now that I am looking it over as used in his book Jambalaya is a generic term of some sort in the Cajun language???

I have never managed to visit the US (but have worked in three continents) and will admit to a fascination with gumbo and jambalaya.

Although some kind souls on these very threads have been most kind in sharing their recipes, some research suggested that Paul Prudhomme's book was a sort of classic of the genre.

I've been positively salivating reading the recipes.

Here, in my corner of windswept Europe, we do have Asian food stores, and thus, okra can be obtained readily easily. However, the recipes call for filé powder and andouille sausage (one of the top delis in the country, in the capital did confirm that they could order the sausage for me), but I must investigate the matter of filé powder further.

Reactions: anika200

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Texas' finest brisket. The Salt Lick in Austin. If any of you 'foodies' haven't tried Texas brisket, don't worry.... more for me. ;)

It is amazing how abundant and cheap food is here.

He said last year they did 690,000 guests.:eek: That is no joke. That is like 1890 guests a day. If they are open for 12 hours a day that would be like 100 guests an hour. Those numbers are astonishing. Those numbers from just 1 location? The owner must be raking in some good money with those numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.