Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Yes, overall I thought it was a solid ending and frankly the ending it had to have if the intent is to actually produce up to three more seasons.

Reactions: MiniApple

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
Yes, overall I thought it was a solid ending and frankly the ending it had to have if the intent is to actually produce up to three more seasons.

Agreed. During the finale, as the show unspooled there were so many different directions it could have gone and started to go but then pulled back, I was guessing right up until the end. I have to say I think I'm pleased with the final outcome(s). I'm generally not a fan of when this show gets too dark (violent). But hey, it's their story, I'm just along for the ride.

Reactions: MiniApple

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
Well my wife and I thought it was pretty awful. Almost Dexter New Blood awful…

The main reason being the time gap between Earth and Mars. We are continually told it takes 5 mins for a communication to get to Mars and there’s 20 mins of burn time needed. How realistic is it that Dev and his gang of followers could think up an alternative plan, brief the Korean bloke to brief Massey (or whatever her name is) and then have her put on a suit, open the hatch, get to the access panel and lift the handle in seemingly a very few mins?

Meanwhile Palmer waits before he also puts on a suit to get after her? Why wouldn’t he be out of the hatch as soon as he realises what’s going on? Also since when has putting on a space suit taken less time than say putting on a pair of shoes?

Then on Earth they have the time to think of a solution, code it and then have Margo and Aleida write counter code all before the deadline for a transmission to Mars to stop the burn. Again, wildly implausible and we have faux drama of a clock running down but it’s already gone past the 5 min cut off when they are furiously uploading. Have they invented faster than light transmission? One Answer to this is that the Earth clock counts down to the time delay, but I’m pretty sure it says it’s synched with Mars.

Then we have a comical play fight between the stereotypical blue collar grunts and the pumped up Swat team and then a signposted cliche outcome and even more cliched survival by Dani (who is really milking it in the wheelchair and sling at least a month after being shot). Also why did the puny looking CIA man arse around with CO2 torture? I said to my wife last week that it would be very quick and easy just to waterboard Miles. Might have finally wiped his silly smirk off his face…

Then the fanatical North Korean senior officer is conveniently forgotten and psychopath Dev appears to suffer no consequences, so he can continue to do his deep stares into the distance…

Shockingly poor.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
After the more tragic ends to the last couple of seasons, I like the soft landing and focusing on the characters.

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
What an awesome episode and season finale. I'm so glad I stayed with the series after the really boring first season. It's getting better with each season. I can't wait for the next one.

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
Suprising conclussions (Dani lives, so does Ed and Sam and Miles...)
So happy for North Korean Astronaut to be reunited with his partner.
That Aleida hug to Margo, Margo's talk about role reversal vs her and Von Braun and her and Aleida.

Was right on OG blackmarket barkeeper helping to save Miles and Aleida/Margo teaming up to save "space exploration".
But i was wrong too: for example Home Alone NASA guy is still alive.

Fun season overall - really enjoyed it for the most part.
just ignore the (less and more) obvious speed plot holes (Margo center stage with all eyes on her, Aleida at the console - and Margo saying "it was me" and similiar whatever) - it's science "fiction" and and alternate reality to moon/mars boot 😉

Wishlist for Season 5

• I'd love another season or two or three.
  • Would be awesome if the look from Mars outwards - leaving Earth behind mostly or completely - story and characterwise.
  • But I'd love to see more Will Tyler (so back into space? or NASA leader) and Aleida (NASA Helios Earth leader or go to Mars with the family to work and live from there)
  • Ed, Dani to be written out "peacefully" - no drama.
  • more Kelly Baldwin
  • Dev continue to play 4D chess, thinking in leaps rather that steps
  • Kelly and Co to disover extra terrestrial life on Mars (or elsewhere)

Last edited:

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
Saying it’s science fiction is incredibly lazy. This isnt Doctor Who. The show has prided itself on a form of authenticity to be credible. if you‘re going to let them off with ‘its sci-fi” then why not have laser beams and fleets of Daleks invading…

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I finished it today and overall it was a huge disappointment. Except for that last episode, with good suspense.

The show was way too slow to start. There are just so many inconsistencies. I understand it’s just a show but things like “the discriminator” felt very ridiculous. You can add on the list, the randomness of finding a gun on Mars, the whole plot around let’s bring back to earth an asteroid and every scenes on Mars soil is Earth gravity feels like they take their viewers for stupid people.

The last episode was nice but also with too many cliffhangers.

The conclusion of Margo was very bland.

I personally don’t ask for realism in these type of shows but avoiding ridiculous things would make it more enjoyable.

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020

For All Mankind renewed for season 5 + a Soviet spin-off, Star City ordered​

• Apple also announced a new spin-off series called Star City, which will focus on “the other side of the space race.” Billed as a “paranoid thriller,” Star City will go back in the timeline to the Soviet victory in the space race.
  • No release date was given for either show. Apple also failed to specify whether the show was written, in active production, or literally just starting work this week.

Sources AV Club / TV Line / Gizmodo

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Saying it’s science fiction is incredibly lazy. This isnt Doctor Who. The show has prided itself on a form of authenticity to be credible. if you‘re going to let them off with ‘its sci-fi” then why not have laser beams and fleets of Daleks invading…
But it is science fiction.
Science fiction is an incredibly varied genre.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
This show could've had so much more length if they didn't just zip past so many years between seasons. I find it a bit silly at this point. The first 2 seasons were very well done. Then they've just fast forwarded to meh. They are focusing a lot on making sure we know that women and minorities would've been much better off if the commies had prevailed!

JTK Awesome

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
Excellent news for the renewal, and also the spin-off sounds interesting.

Sweet Jeebus which show are all of you watching?

The one I watched is a typical RDM production like Battlestar Galactica. The first season is awesome, the second season season is even better, the third season starts strong… then at some point a wizard did it (*) followed by a 4th-season snoozefest.

* the same way “jumped the shark” was replaced by “nuked the fridge,” we should now say “North Korea’d Mars”

I’ve lost interest and genuinely don’t care about the next season. I predict the For All Mankind spinoff to have the same (lack of) quality and same (lack of) staying power as the BSG spinoff “Caprica.”

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base

For All Mankind renewed for season 5 + a Soviet spin-off, Star City ordered​

• Apple also announced a new spin-off series called Star City, which will focus on “the other side of the space race.” Billed as a “paranoid thriller,” Star City will go back in the timeline to the Soviet victory in the space race.
  • No release date was given for either show. Apple also failed to specify whether the show was written, in active production, or literally just starting work this week.

Sources AV Club / TV Line / Gizmodo
For all fans that enjoyed the first season and those old school Cold War lore, I highly recommend the Salyut 7 movie. It’s about the Cold War Soviet Space Station and a rescue mission with many close calls. Compared to science fiction, this really did happen. And for the die-hard space buffs, John Glenn’s Fireflies are included :)

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
The first season is awesome, the second season season is even better, the third season starts strong… then at some point a wizard did it (*) followed by a 4th-season snoozefest.

Oh is it opposite day for you? :D
I don't know what show you are talking about, but for For All Mankind it's like this for me:
Season 1 was a snoozefest, only the last few episodes were good.
Season 2 was better, but still too much snooze
Season 3 was much better
Season 4 was awesome, no snooze at all.

JTK Awesome

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
Oh is it opposite day for you? :D
I don't know what show you are talking about, but for For All Mankind it's like this for me:
Season 1 was a snoozefest, only the last few episodes were good.
Season 2 was better, but still too much snooze
Season 3 was much better
Season 4 was awesome, no snooze at all.

If Seasons 1 and 2 put you to sleep, I suggest you discuss narcolepsy and/or sleep apnea with your Doctor.

Anyone that was OK with this is dangerously unaware of the real world around us.

BTW it’s only “Opposite Day” for you.

https://www.avclub.com/for-all-mankind-season-4-review-apple-tv-plus-1850986343

For All Mankind season 4 review: One giant, soapy misstep | In the Apple TV+ show's most tedious season yet…

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.