Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
Family drama is fine in measured doses to add to a character's back story, at times FAM does get the balance wrong though.

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
You guys think The Morning Show and For All Mankind are too woke because some of the characters aren't hetero and have to deal with that fact over the course of their lives? I think perhaps relaxing your sensitives might be in order if you want to enjoy the show. Have you seen the last couple of seasons of New Amsterdam? My daughter was watching that show for a while and I saw a few episodes. Watch a few of those episodes and come back and tell me FAM is too woke.

Reactions: Diskutant

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
You guys think The Morning Show and For All Mankind are too woke because some of the characters aren't hetero and have to deal with that fact over the course of their lives? I think perhaps relaxing your sensitives might be in order if you want to enjoy the show. Have you seen the last couple of seasons of New Amsterdam? My daughter was watching that show for a while and I saw a few episodes. Watch a few of those episodes and come back and tell me FAM is too woke.
I don't think they are too woke (whatever woke really means) but there are ways of including these issues that enhance a character and the story and not overtake the show's actual plot. Its a difficult line, some shows fail on that. FAM hasn't though at times the Morning Show did risk it.

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
I used to like this show for its originality, the conquest of space and the uchrony.

But then they felt obliged to add family drama: lost of kid, alcoholism, homosexuality, alcohol abuse…it’s the woke bingo.

Did we watch different series? FAMK started with family drama stuff. The conquest of space came much later, at the end of season 1.

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
I don't think they are too woke (whatever woke really means) but there are ways of including these issues that enhance a character and the story and not overtake the show's actual plot. Its a difficult line, some shows fail on that. FAM hasn't though at times the Morning Show did risk it.

I can agree with that. I appreciated how they showed Ellen and Larry's experience being in the closet for all those years. However I didn't like when they incorporated Larry's affair as a behind-the-scenes Washington scandal that took up even more time on the show. But that's just me nitpicking the plot a bit.

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
Aleida and Kelly teaming up in the bar and on space/science work = Yay 🍻🍸🍹

Margo hasn't reached rock bottom yet, despite the fall and broken glasses.
My guess she'll be carted off into a prison camp of sorts, before she gets a chance of a rescue by that bird feeding lady.

Camera work showing "lower decker" and Danielle in split screen until meeting up was fun.

Still don't care about the Miner character nor about "get of my lawn planet" Ed.

I much more liked this episode overall - Sovjet Union unrest, same happening on Mars.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Aleida and Kelly - 🥳 The coming geniuses.
Margo - she'll meet someone unexpected in prison - 🤓

This season is not going as expected, so who knows?
I like the twists though.

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
Not much happened in Episode 2, but somehow I liked this episode.
I agree with the above comments about the Aleida and Kelly plot. It will be interesting.

Eds makeup to look old is quite bad though.

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
Pretty good selection of tunes for the second episode, this show does generally do well in that department.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Episode 3 picked up the pace a bit... a couple of interesting twists... Ed and Sveta smoking reefer in the greenhouse room... and Ilya has a custom order from the North Koreans...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lioness~

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
Episode 3 had very interesting plot points, I really like the Aleida & Kelly part so far. And that new guy (forgot his name) stealing from North Korea and not getting shot... Will be interesting to see how that turns out.
And then there is the Margo story, that **** got crazy, can't wait to see what happens there.

So far this seems better than the first three seasons.

Reactions: Alwis

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
3 Episodes in, liking it so far. Going to be very interesting to see what happens when the shift in power in the USSR hits Happy Valley. Margo… is going to be revealed rather quickly I think. Both as a power play and bargaining chip by the new leadership in Russia. Of course the moment we’re all waiting for is what it going to do to Aleda when she finds out.

Reactions: Alwis

ISignedUpToAskThis

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2022
Tried watching For All Mankind a while back, but found the first episode extremely slow going so gave up quickly, but thinking of giving it another go.

I love Severance and Silo, and liked shows such as See, Servant (until it went downhill) and Hijack. Basically anything beginning with an S it seems. Wasn't a fan of Ted Lasso or The Morning Show.

Is the show worth it? Will I likely get something out of it based on shows I've liked on Apple TV+?

Ismeon

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2023
United States
Is this the only discussion thread for this show? I understand the interest in not overwhelming the forum with similar posts but I feel like a discussion thread per season would at least allow for others to take part who aren't all caught up. Maybe I missed it, is there a discussion thread for just season 4?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Is this the only discussion thread for this show? I understand the interest in not overwhelming the forum with similar posts but I feel like a discussion thread per season would at least allow for others to take part who aren't all caught up. Maybe I missed it, is there a discussion thread for just season 4?
There is not AFAIK, but you could always start one... or just continue the conversation here.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
That last episode was pretty ridiculous: the petty fight between the 2 Russians, seriously. And the other guy that goes alone collecting rock, bleed from an injury but the suit is fine. They turned on gravity on Mars? And the American in Russia who used to work at NASA is not able to figure it out that her colleague was welcomed by the KGB instead of simply getting fired?

I don’t mind shortcuts in shows but a slight once of realism would really make it more enjoyable. It feels like they take the audience for idiots.

Reactions: Ismeon

Ismeon

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2023
United States
That last episode was pretty ridiculous: the petty fight between the 2 Russians, seriously. And the other guy that goes alone collecting rock, bleed from an injury but the suit is fine. They turned on gravity on Mars? And the American in Russia who used to work at NASA is not able to figure it out that her colleague was welcomed by the KGB instead of simply getting fired?

I don’t mind shortcuts in shows but a slight once of realism would really make it more enjoyable. It feels like they take the audience for idiots.
I agree with you on this episode, they could've done a better job bridging the story. I feel like the divide with the Helios team is pointless as well. I was so excited for Toby Kebbell to join the cast and was super bummed when I found out what storyline his character has.

Reactions: gigatoaster

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
So that means people are stuck on the surface like on Earth or they can fly like on the moon?

I was surprised to see the bloke fell in a crevice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.