Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Really made me dislike her. I had some faith she'd tell the truth in time and pay the price for it, but abandoning her country and completely turning on her NASA family... no good for me.
Do we know if it was her choice though? The soviets could have easily used the confusion of the bombing to take her injured/unconscious and sneak her out of the country without her consent.

Either situation will make for a super interesting story.

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
Really made me dislike her. I had some faith she'd tell the truth in time and pay the price for it, but abandoning her country and completely turning on her NASA family... no good for me.

Working on space exploration is Margo's life - it's the most important thing for her, almost her reason to live. Given the choice between decades in Federal prison or to continue to do her life's work for the Soviets, it could be rational for her to go to Moscow. It also plays off of her judgmental treatment of Verner Von Braun in Season 1. (Shoe's on the other foot, so to speak). Alternatively, she may have had to go to the USSR as part of ensuring Sergei and his family's safety. I guess we'll find out in Season 4. :)

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
Just finished the last episode.

Even with the spoilers posted above:

*I knew the people Jimmy was hanging out with were going to be bad, but didn’t expect that
*kinda expected that to happen to Karen
*I expected Ed to survive. Kelly losing both parents would have been a bad move
*I expected no less from Margo.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
We have no idea why Margo is in Russia, but the interpretations are the idea of Series and Movies. She didn't look happier than earlier though, quite the opposite.
The speaking 'the sky is the limit' for interpretations, doesn't measure up here though.
Long wait now....
I'll miss Molly, didn't even saw that newspaper declaring that she was dead at the end. Had to rewatch the end when I saw people saying she was dead here. Because I wasn't sure, what happened there. Was a lot in the last ep.
I had to dig up another recent tv-serie 'Night Sky' that she -Sonya Walger- is participating in just to get some closure. RIP Molly 🥲😂

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
We have no idea why Margo is in Russia, but the interpretations are the idea of Series and Movies. She didn't look happier than earlier though, quite the opposite.
The speaking 'the sky is the limit' for interpretations, doesn't measure up here though.
Long wait now....
I'll miss Molly, didn't even saw that newspaper declaring that she was dead at the end. Had to rewatch the end when I saw people saying she was dead here. Because I wasn't sure, what happened there. Was a lot in the last ep.
I had to dig up another recent tv-serie 'Night Sky' that she -Sonya Walger- is participating in just to get some closure. RIP Molly 🥲😂
Yes, RIP Molly - Sonya Walger sure nailed that character. A tidbit that got my attention is that Sonya lived through two IRA bombings growing up in the UK, so she's said that informed her performance during the shooting of the finale.

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
She lived through two IRA bombings? Seems very unlucky, i haven't lived through one and i've lived in UK for 50 years!

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
She lived through two IRA bombings? Seems very unlucky, i haven't lived through one and i've lived in UK for 50 years!
I am very glad to hear that. Sort of like how I've lived in the USA - gun crime capital of the world - and never experienced, heard or seen any gun crime first hand in my over 50 yrs of life, having lived in many different regions and cities over that time.

FYI I heard Sonya Walger mention her living through bombings on the latest AppleTV+ official For all Mankind podcast.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Long wait now....
RIP indeed. Loved Molly's character.

Currently watching her in The Catch on Hulu with Peter Krause.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I lived in Northern Ireland for 30 years and the nearest I got to a bombing was being on the Paris Metro when it was bombed in 1995. The train I was on apparently passed by where the bombing occurred shortly beforehand, but I didn't know about it until several hours later.

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Blimey what an explosive finale! Sometimes when you're watching a show you can see where it's going a long time in advance, others you kinda work it out literally as it's revealed. Other times a curve ball is thrown that you completely missed.

I have to admit I didn't see the Korean first to the moon plot at all. Thinking back there were clues around the DPRK's space programme early on, you have the incident with Polaris hotel and the mention of the probe etc. And of course, it's the Korean boot we see as the teaser of the end of Season 2. Very clever.

I'm sad for Karen and Molly but their stories were told well and with a time jump, it's right to leave those characters behind. S4 must surely be the last season for Ed too, probably relegated to some administration or management role. 2003 is a good 8 years on from the events of the last episode so our astronaut, cosmonaut and koreanaut[?] should be safely home about 5 years prior. That's assuming of course Sojourner 2 isn't met with the same bad luck as the first one!

I also didn't expect the bomb, although it was pretty obvious Jimmy's new "friends" were manipulating him for some sort of greater plan. I was expecting some sort of Max-Headroom takeover of the broadcast system to somehow show on every TV company via the Nasa feed, not a domestic terrorist attack.

Danny can stay on the Korean Soyuz forever though for all I care however the marking of the location of the buried gun with the socket wrench may have been a mistake for S4.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
FYI I heard Sonya Walger mention her living through bombings on the latest AppleTV+ official For all Mankind podcast.
Sonya have her own podcast too, for the interested one: Bookish with Sonya Walger
She seems to be quite a reader. I knew there was something familiar with her. I studied Literature at university long time ago. Choice of literature changes though.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I waited to finish the season before sharing my opinion.

I really enjoyed the first half, the race was captivating and very fun. There was almost no drama and acting was decent.

Then at the half, something went wrong. All the stupid, useless drama was put in the last 5 episodes. What a shame. I don’t know what is the worst from a story perspective: the Korean coming from nowhere, the bomb, the tinfoil hatter or the gay president.

What a disappointment, even more because the first half was great.

Maybe they changed the director because it felt like 2 different shows.

I’m still puzzled to see of this wokism and would like to understand how it’s captivates an audience. Guess it’s working, we see it in more & more shows, although it seems to decline, compared to 2/3 years ago.

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
I waited to finish the season before sharing my opinion.

I really enjoyed the first half, the race was captivating and very fun. There was almost no drama and acting was decent.

Then at the half, something went wrong. All the stupid, useless drama was put in the last 5 episodes. What a shame. I don’t know what is the worst from a story perspective: the Korean coming from nowhere, the bomb, the tinfoil hatter or the gay president.

I’m still puzzled to see of this wokism and would like to understand how it’s captivates an audience. Guess it’s working, we see it in more & more shows, although it seems to decline, compared to 2/3 years ago.
Watch it again. The Korean element felt like a shock to me too but actually it was seeded all the way through the series. From the teaser "news" segments you can watch on AppleTV though to subtle mentions in the show, and the events of the first episode etc. It didn't "come from nowhere", we just weren't looking.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004

First of all, let's just stop with these "wokism" talk. I was a conservative myself, and the sooner we let that one go, the sooner the society will stop spoon feeding the message.

The third season is definitely more on the human drama than science fiction. But my overall sentiment isn't as negative.
  • I loved North Korean "Castaway" story.
  • I thought the writers and particular Casey W. Johnson did a credible job humanizing Danny. His character may not be someone we can love, but his behaviors are symptoms of many tragic chain of events.
  • Her ultimate fate notwithstanding, Karen's arc was surprisingly moving.
  • Kelly's pregnancy was a bit uncharacteristic, as well as its fallout. However, it did help the Mars plot move along.
  • Jimmy's terrorist plot was the most egregious for me. I get that it sets up Margo's heroic exit and for the next season. But it just felt forced.
  • To me, the most successful drama of this season is Ellen's. Her speech and Jodi Balfour's delivery were spot on perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: gigatoaster

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I partially agree with you. Wokism is an overused word. The thing is we had the same in the 90s: it was called quotas. I don’t think making à story about a gay president fits in a show like that. I don’t know to whom it appeals to, but I’m sure there is an audience. However, my main critic is to what it brings to the show. It’s just drama for drama. This show is great but badly impacted by stupid drama. Look at the Stevens brothers: it reminds of the puma and Kim in 24. Totally irrelevant.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
My utmost respect and gratitude to the cast of Mankind as well as the stunning story line of the skilled script writer. Big thanks to the Apple decision makers to fund this project. By far my most favorite content on Apple TV+.
Apple has the right stuff for the right time. I hope I will have enough electricity available to stream the content of S4 next year, once this European winter has passed, and Germany has recovered from the coming blackout in February 2023.

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
My utmost respect and gratitude to the cast of Mankind as well as the stunning story line of the skilled script writer. Big thanks to the Apple decision makers to fund this project. By far my most favorite content on Apple TV+.
Apple has the right stuff for the right time. I hope I will have enough electricity available to stream the content of S4 next year, once this European winter has passed, and Germany has recovered from the coming blackout in February 2023.

I agree, this show has been my favorite TV content of the past fews years. While I feel the 3rd season was a bit less enjoyable for me than seasons 1 and 2, I can't wait for season 4!

On another note, if blackouts are coming in your area, now might be a good time to invest in a few battery-powered backup packs from a company such as Jackery (there's many other good brands out there, too). Charge them when you have power, keep the lights on and TV running when the power goes out. I've been using these the past few years, and they have helped me through power outages with a minimum of inconvenience.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
I agree, this show has been my favorite TV content of the past fews years. While I feel the 3rd season was a bit less enjoyable for me than seasons 1 and 2, I can't wait for season 4!

On another note, if blackouts are coming in your area, now might be a good time to invest in a few battery-powered backup packs from a company such as Jackery (there's many other good brands out there, too). Charge them when you have power, keep the lights on and TV running when the power goes out. I've been using these the past few years, and they have helped me through power outages with a minimum of inconvenience.
I got stacked up with plenty of firewood, coal and wood bricks so far. A separate gas stove, and plenty of other supplies As well as food. In terms of power, I think about the eco flow delta2. They cary a weather wet cover as an accessory which will work for a telescope power supply in the future, once this gas debacle in Europe is gone. I hope Christmas will be soon enough, - a rare Alienware two slot AMD 6800XT card came first for my MP 5.1 and is on route.. :)

Reactions: HappyIntro

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005

hopefully they explain something about it in season 4, perhaps she is subverting the Russian efforts or something. I could buy a science based exchange of ideas to prevent nuclear war in the beginning, and then a bit when she was blackmailed to save her friend / love but now that he is free in the USA I can't see why she would continue to help the Russians, I'd have assumed she would accept the consequences in the USA or end her life. perhaps she reached a secret agreement with the United States where she is acting as a double agent or something.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
First of all, let's just stop with these "wokism" talk. I was a conservative myself, and the sooner we let that one go, the sooner the society will stop spoon feeding the message.

The third season is definitely more on the human drama than science fiction. But my overall sentiment isn't as negative.
  • I loved North Korean "Castaway" story.
  • I thought the writers and particular Casey W. Johnson did a credible job humanizing Danny. His character may not be someone we can love, but his behaviors are symptoms of many tragic chain of events.
  • Her ultimate fate notwithstanding, Karen's arc was surprisingly moving.
  • Kelly's pregnancy was a bit uncharacteristic, as well as its fallout. However, it did help the Mars plot move along.
  • Jimmy's terrorist plot was the most egregious for me. I get that it sets up Margo's heroic exit and for the next season. But it just felt forced.
  • To me, the most successful drama of this season is Ellen's. Her speech and Jodi Balfour's delivery were spot on perfect.

- The North Korean story was nicely done, but thrown in there last second like most things seemed to be in this season
- the entire phoenix ship (former hotel) was far, far to "starship enterprise" while the USA and Russian ships had some semblance of "realism". it just kind of took things too far and made the show even more over the top.
- Danny was an annoying psycho but I don't buy Danielle allowing him to be forced to live alone in a capsule. I kept hoping he would sacrifice his miserable existence to help the others since I don't think he is very redeemable.
- Karen's arc was actually pretty great although leaves us without a happy ending for Ed/Karen,
- Kelly was annoying the whole season and totally unprofessional, to be honest nearly ALL the astronauts were totally unrealistic/unprofessional besides Danielle
- the idea the birth was somehow ok on the station vs. on Mars was lacking in plausibility, the entire launch her off the planet and jet the last bit to the station was totally copied from the ending of "The Martian", I mean nearly beat for beat
- the terrorist plot was pretty implausible, those 3 bad guys seemed pretty calm for being about to commit suicide, it still is unclear just why Molly died going back in but it was nice to see her doing what she does best, leading people to the end
- I appreciate the sentiment of Ellen and I'm glad she did the right thing, but it WAS really heavy handed just bashing and bashing and bashing Republicans when both parties weren't much for rights at that time, it seemed a tip of the hat to an overblown stereotype some writers might have of the current political landscape
- At first I thought it was clever but later frustrating at just how many "big" moments were just totally skipped over this season with time jumps, the biggest of which was the initial Russian secrecy over the Kelley pregnancy followed by an immediate skip 5 months where everyone knows and is happy that one of their astronauts totally burdened the entire mission because they totally lacked common sense or any sense of professionalism. where was the moment Ed would find out etc.? totally missed an opportunity. skipped over any sense of wonder at being on mars at first etc.
- as mentioned in a previous post I can buy margo doing minor back door trading of science with the Russians to bolster peace between the countries, followed by more serious espionage to help her friend and love when blackmailed, but I hope there is a sensible explanation why she would help the Russians by defecting to the Soviet Union after he was safely in the USA. maybe we will find out she is now a double agent or something.

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
- The North Korean story was nicely done, but thrown in there last second like most things seemed to be in this season
- At first I thought it was clever but later frustrating at just how many "big" moments were just totally skipped over this season with time jumps, the biggest of which was the initial Russian secrecy over the Kelley pregnancy followed by an immediate skip 5 months where everyone knows and is happy that one of their astronauts totally burdened the entire mission because they totally lacked common sense or any sense of professionalism. where was the moment Ed would find out etc.? totally missed an opportunity. skipped over any sense of wonder at being on mars at first etc.
The Nork stuff was kind of set up earlier in the season, though to be honest it was very easy to miss / forget about as i did until someone pointed it out to me.

The Russian secrecy over the pregnancy was an interesting set-up for the penultimate episode but then completely forgotten about. Did they have a late change of heart with the script and lacked the budget to reshoot the end of the episode?

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
Any word on when we can expect to see For All Mankind Season 4? And maybe some scoop on what we’re in for when it returns?

An Apple TV+ premiere date continues to elude us, but co-showrunner Ben Nedivi told us (in pre-strike times) that more change is ahead in Season 4. “We always knew by jumping ahead decades that we wouldn’t be able to really just hold onto the original cast the whole way through, but I think we also didn’t want to do a thing where you completely swap out casts between seasons,” Nedivi said. So expect Season 4 to “bring in newer characters that kind of maybe show another side of the space program, another side of the world, to really expand the storytelling capabilities.”

Source https://tvline.com/lists/evil-season-4-release-date-spoilers-david-kristen-the-entity/

Reactions: HappyIntro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.