Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
This guy may have been an arrogant jerk, but he knew his job. We never had the major versions of iOS launch as buggy as 8 did. Yes, Apple maps was not great when it launched, but the rest of the OS was not a mess. Say what you guys want, he was genius when it came to software development. Apple should really find some way to bring this guy back.

Reactions: 0958400

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
He was really good, he also co-created OS X and was with Jobs at Next.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Apple would disagree. They think Beats is a far better investment and Jony Ive knows software better than Forstall.

/sarc

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Well history speaks for itself. I know Forstall was not perfect (cough Apple maps) but this guy obviously knew his job. I often wonder how iOS 7 and 8 would be if he were still in charge. I think it is safe to say that iOS 8 would not be the mess it is today. Would it have a few bugs? Yes, of course, but emphasis on 'few'.

----------

Apple would disagree. They think Beats is a far better investment and Jony Ive knows software better than Forstall.

/sarc

Ive in my opinion is loosing his touch.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
No man can retain his artistic touch forever. The guys who were once genius can fall behind the innovation curve as world moves forward to the next best thing faster than they can imagine.

Even if Forstall is brought back, what is the guarantee that things will improve? Apple has designed the new iOS 7 interface spending billions of dollars. They would want to improve on that design for at least next 2-3 years.

The only thing that needs to be done is boost the Q&A team and make sure they start the beta cycle a month earlier. They also need to make sure that interface smoothness is not sacrificed at any cost. Even if that means they have to sacrifice 1-2 features to retain the same performance. That would increase their chances of pushing a stable release and shut out hyper guys like me.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
I'm sure Mr Forstall did all of the coding personally. That's why there wasn't as many bugs.

/s

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Despite all the bugginess, iOS is moving faster than ever, finally catching up with the lackluster of features.

blue rocket

Suspended
Jul 28, 2010
CT, USA
it's funny how many people here have no idea how large companies work. Nothing, and I repeat NOTHING is the responsibility of one person. Stop blaming Cook and Ive and whoever else. **** happens, and then we live, get over it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
it's funny how many people here have no idea how large companies work. Nothing, and I repeat NOTHING is the responsibility of one person. Stop blaming Cook and Ive and whoever else. **** happens, and then we live, get over it.

Huh? The buck stops with the CEO. That is his/her job and why they get paid the big bucks and big bonus.

While Timmy did not personally code the glitch, it's up to him to ensure apple has appropriate coding and regression procedures in place to mitigate this type of thing.

It's unlikely there will be any ramifications, but I'll bet apple will be looking at it's software development/testing and release policies going forward.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
quality might be higher with forstall but Craig is giving iOS users the features they've always wished.. i go for craig

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Huh? The buck stops with the CEO. That is his/her job and why they get paid the big bucks and big bonus.

While Timmy did not personally code the glitch, it's up to him to ensure apple has appropriate coding and regression procedures in place to mitigate this type of thing.

It's unlikely there will be any ramifications, but I'll bet apple will be looking at it's software development/testing and release policies going forward.

I kind of have to agree with you. Ive, Cook, and Federighi are not responsible for actually coding the software, but they are the head of software development. It is there responsibility to have teams and testing policies in place to catch major bugs.

I still don't think Forstall is the answer.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I have a feeling that stress is one of the many factors at Apple these days. Keep in mind that in china suppliers tend to change the specs of American tech for bigger profit and to undermine American companies.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
He was really good, he also co-created OS X and was with Jobs at Next.

He let iOS stagnate and allowed Android to pass up iOS in features. By all accounts, he was very difficult to work with to the point that senior executives would not sit in meetings with him present.

He needed to go. We may not like the look of iOS now, but look at the tons of features that have been added since he left.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
no thanks we would still have that ugly looking leather in iOS and OS x applications :(

If you look closely, Notes app still has some kind of faux texture material.

So they have not completely removed skeumorphism of any sorts.

The Phazer

macrumors 68040
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Hell no. Forstall had lost the plot and was responsible for the maps debacle, truly the worst thing Apple has ever done.

iOS wouldn't be any better under him today - the problem is Apple has not figured out project management of a huge OS and not a small boutique one. It makes no sense for stock apps to update through major OS changes rather than the app store, but that's a consequence of bad team design that they didn't have dedicated development teams (or where they did, they were hopeless, like Podcasts).

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
look at the tons of features that have been added since he left.

Yeah that's the Microsoft mentality. TONS of features and non of them work correctly.

The OS is crap, but hey... at least there are TONS of features.

This is exactly what Apple NEVER did and now does, and nothing works right because of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.