Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
As the title says, I would really like the option of putting my app icons anywhere on the screen that I want versus having them automatically fill in space from left to right, and top to bottom.

This is one thing I sorely miss after trying Droid for a couple of months, and it has always bugged me.

Anyone else psycho about this feature???:mad:

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Nope, its fine.

I guess the option could be nice, but its trivial.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I wish there was a way to automatically alphabetize all of my apps. Or at least being able to move multiple apps at the same time, it's a pain rearranging all my apps from A-Z.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It would be nice to be able to put icons wherever you want and have them stay there. I also wish Apple would fill up the home screen with apps, instead of leaving empty spaces. Yea, I know I can move some over. But, if you want your apps alphabetized after downloading news ones, you have to do a home screen reset, which ends up removing the app icons you manually placed on the home screen.

Last edited:

iHackPro

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2014
DFW, TX
I wish there was a way to automatically alphabetize all of my apps. Or at least being able to move multiple apps at the same time, it's a pain rearranging all my apps from A-Z.

Settings-General-Reset-Reset Home Screen Layout will put all of your downloaded App Store apps in alphabetical order. You would then only have to do the stock apps, which isn't too hard to do on iTunes on your computer.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
nope

In android you can since you have an apps folder/tray that is a click away. In iOS that app folder is the home-screen itself, it's not a desktop screen. Big difference

----------

for that you would need an actual app folder. The home-screen on iOS is not a desktop nor an app folder, its a mix of in-between. If you add that a-z function it could cause people to disorganize their app flow by mistake. They could always add an app folder and make the screen a true desktop screen so that can be resolved.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
As the title says, I would really like the option of putting my app icons anywhere on the screen that I want versus having them automatically fill in space from left to right, and top to bottom.

This is one thing I sorely miss after trying Droid for a couple of months, and it has always bugged me.

Anyone else psycho about this feature???:mad:

Lol not psycho but it would be nice.

tresmith

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
I just want to be able to rest my icons and the most used apps come to the top of the list.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA

Sounds like someone has CDO... but that's just you. Others group by what the apps are (e.g. social, work, etc.) and some group by color.

You can't please everyone.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I feel your pain. The things I miss most from my android experience are widgets and the ability to put icons where I want them.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

I've created 4 folders A-F, G-L, etc and organized my apps in each folder by name. They're not alphabetized within each folder, but it makes finding apps a lot easier as long as you know the app's name. No more wondering what "type" of app it was categorized as. So I only have one screen with 4 folders and then the rest of the icons are apps I use frequently. This approach works really well for me.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I've created 4 folders A-F, G-L, etc and organized my apps in each folder by name. They're not alphabetized within each folder, but it makes finding apps a lot easier as long as you know the app's name. No more wondering what "type" of app it was categorized as. So I only have one screen with 4 folders and then the rest of the icons are apps I use frequently. This approach works really well for me.

At first that seems blah...
But then... I thought about how many times Im like dammit, was that app in utilities or productivity or multimedia.

Or Local vs Travel vs webstore.

Hmmm

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
At first that seems blah...
But then... I thought about how many times Im like dammit, was that app in utilities or productivity or multimedia.

Or Local vs Travel vs webstore.

Hmmm

Now I never have to wonder, unless I forget the name of the app.

Attachments

• IMG_1958.PNG
    IMG_1958.PNG
    890.3 KB · Views: 712

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Now I never have to wonder, unless I forget the name of the app.

I hate you.

Because now... Im going to have to sit here and rearrange my 148 ****ing apps... :eek:

And potentially rearrange them back... You suck. :(

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I hate you.

Because now... Im going to have to sit here and rearrange my 148 ****ing apps... :eek:

And potentially rearrange them back... You suck. :(

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure you'll wonder why you didn't think of this.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
People really have so much trouble finding/using apps quickly without them being alphabetized?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.