Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Why? I think the grid makes the home screen look harmonious and ordered.

Now I think you're a very messy person, sorry :(

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Does nobody use Spotlight?

I was wondering the same thing, I only keep three rows of icons on two pages because I like the space. That's enough for apps I used regularly but every other app is dumped into one folder. It's usually just a single swipe and press a single letter on the keyboard to get to whatever name app you want.

----------

Spotlight involves typing. F dat!

Well instead of typing a single letter, you can press the mic button and say the letter to Siri, works just as well but it's a bit dopey.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
It has absolutely nothing to do about opening my apps or finding them.

I just want to organize my folders and apps together in a way that requires spaces in between some icons. Pure and simple.

So please stop suggesting spotlight as it has absolutely no bearing on the subject(in my case).

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007

I just want to organize my folders and apps together in a way that requires spaces in between some icons. Pure and simple.

So please stop suggesting spotlight as it has absolutely no bearing on the subject(in my case).

In that case, the answer is no, you can't do that at this time.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008

They werent suggesting that to you. They were suggesting it to people who were complaining about being unable to find their apps.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Yet here you are in the ios8 section of an apple/iphone forum. If you can't deal with anything else until the russian/ukraine and middle east problems are over shouldn't you be somewhere else? Don't plan on coming back any time soon, the middle east has been in mayhem since forever.

Ya, like really!

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I would like this as well - but you know apple doesn't like you to customize anything.

Still waiting for alternate text bubble colors. Staring at blue and green for 5 years now gets a little old.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I would like this as well - but you know apple doesn't like you to customize anything.

Still waiting for alternate text bubble colors. Staring at blue and green for 5 years now gets a little old.
That's not really going to come more than likely. The colors are there for a function rather than fun/boredom/etc.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Dont see the point in this option. It's just an excuse for people to be messy and unorganised.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Apple values control and lock-in. There's nothing different, it's been like that for ages. Most users just learn to accept it in exchange for the freedom of not having to think. It's only a compromise.

Ah chew man

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2016
I've created 4 folders A-F, G-L, etc and organized my apps in each folder by name. They're not alphabetized within each folder, but it makes finding apps a lot easier as long as you know the app's name. No more wondering what "type" of app it was categorized as. So I only have one screen with 4 folders and then the rest of the icons are apps I use frequently. This approach works really well for me.
Categorization using folders often resulted in app function failure while in a folder. Alphbetization is absurdly cumbersome across multiple pages of icons. If one is constantly evolving, he will need to efficiently access, move, remove, add apps as software evolves. 6s. Why is this most basic issue still an issue, Apple?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Categorization using folders often resulted in app function failure while in a folder. Alphbetization is absurdly cumbersome across multiple pages of icons. If one is constantly evolving, he will need to efficiently access, move, remove, add apps as software evolves. 6s. Why is this most basic issue still an issue, Apple?
Why would apps fail in a folder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.