Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Does nobody use Spotlight?

I use it personally all the time as the app launcher on both iOS and OS X. I find it much easier to find that one app in the 123 I have on my iPhone. I like to keep my apps organized on one screen which is what I always had on my iPad, and I did that on my iPhone after iOS 7 launched thanks to folders with pages.

I like the iOS home screen as it is right now. Its not busy and is very simple. I couldn't ask for more.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i agree. especially on the new screen sizes its just gonna look cluttered. id like to keep the first row free for example

nope

In android you can since you have an apps folder/tray that is a click away. In iOS that app folder is the home-screen itself, it's not a desktop screen. Big difference

----------

huh? on android you have a homescreen with apps that u can rearrange any way ud like too

cmanbrazil

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
I miss android

I miss the customization of Android so much. I could lay out my screens based off my needs. I loved calendar widgets where I didn't even need to open an app to see my schedule.

What I don't miss is why I will stay with IOS;)

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
I just tried the reset home screen thing and it reset the home screen but didn't touch any of my downloaded apps on the next several pages.

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
I wish there was a way to automatically alphabetize all of my apps. Or at least being able to move multiple apps at the same time, it's a pain rearranging all my apps from A-Z.

Reset your home screen arrangement, it does that for you (minus the stock apps)

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
It's all finger taps whether it's typing or swiping.

I'm just thinking you're missing what most people love about a touch operating system on the phone and a big reason the iPhone doesn't have a physical keyboard attached.

That is, being able to visually acquire a target, albeit with your finger taps, and hit that target(app icon) without the usual flow of typing and with some sort of visual organization set up that suits each user.

That's the shortest way I could elay what I'm thinking.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You can do a fake app folder and just use the dock. :p Just call it Launchpad or :apple: and keep it on the left or right. Sounds stupid, but it totally worked for me. When iOS 8 comes out, I'm going to go back to that setup until the jailbreak.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
You can do a fake app folder and just use the dock. :p Just call it Launchpad or :apple: and keep it on the left or right. Sounds stupid, but it totally worked for me. When iOS 8 comes out, I'm going to go back to that setup until the jailbreak.

There is no difference than just it every icons on the home screen... All you do is out all apps inside one folder and use that folder as launchpad...

IF we can out folders inside a folder, then your way will work....

PirateP

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Naboo Land
I always use Spotlight. Alphabetizing seems freakishly anal retentive. I just can't imagine arranging my phone that way. To each their own, of course.

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I'm just thinking you're missing what most people love about a touch operating system on the phone and a big reason the iPhone doesn't have a physical keyboard attached.

That is, being able to visually acquire a target, albeit with your finger taps, and hit that target(app icon) without the usual flow of typing and with some sort of visual organization set up that suits each user.

That's the shortest way I could elay what I'm thinking.

So, let's say you're wanting to open Whatsapp. You would prefer to swipe right, swipe right, swipe right, swipe right, swipe right, swipe right until you get to the W's, as opposed to swipe down, "w"?

Personally, I dumped every app, except for those I use most frequently, into a folder on the second page. Using Spotlight (both on iOS and Mac) is so much more efficient...not to mention the method that Apple is very obviously trying to encourage us to use.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
As the title says, I would really like the option of putting my app icons anywhere on the screen that I want versus having them automatically fill in space from left to right, and top to bottom.

This is one thing I sorely miss after trying Droid for a couple of months, and it has always bugged me.

Anyone else psycho about this feature???:mad:

The conflict between Russian and Ukraine freaks me out. So does the middle east mayhem. The icons take a close third....oh wait I also have a full list of other stuff that goes on top of the icons.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
The conflict between Russian and Ukraine freaks me out. So does the middle east mayhem. The icons take a close third....oh wait I also have a full list of other stuff that goes on top of the icons.

Yet here you are in the ios8 section of an apple/iphone forum. If you can't deal with anything else until the russian/ukraine and middle east problems are over shouldn't you be somewhere else? Don't plan on coming back any time soon, the middle east has been in mayhem since forever.

iUseBoth

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
I use an iPhone 5s for work and an LG G3 for personal use. I never quite understood why Apple splashes a bunch of ugly icons on your beautiful home screen. It's like an app drawer and home screen can't make up it's mind on what it wants to be. I look at my android with a beautiful calendar widget that tells me in real time all my tasks, meetings, bills, etc that's transparent so i see my beautiful wife as well. and on my work phone i see a block of folders on my home screen.

One fix could be, why not allow iPhone to have 2 home screens. the 1st screen can be completely blank with just the dock and the 2nd screen could be the screen with all the apps on it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I use an iPhone 5s for work and an LG G3 for personal use. I never quite understood why Apple splashes a bunch of ugly icons on your beautiful home screen. It's like an app drawer and home screen can't make up it's mind on what it wants to be. I look at my android with a beautiful calendar widget that tells me in real time all my tasks, meetings, bills, etc that's transparent so i see my beautiful wife as well. and on my work phone i see a block of folders on my home screen.

One fix could be, why not allow iPhone to have 2 home screens. the 1st screen can be completely blank with just the dock and the 2nd screen could be the screen with all the apps on it.
You can have the first screen like that I believe unless I recall that incorrectly.

Last edited:

iUseBoth

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Tou can have the first screen like that I believe unless I recall that incorrectly.

Yes, yes you can!! thanks for bringing this up to my attention. I now have a clean "home screen". I guess this will do for now!

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
At first that seems blah...
But then... I thought about how many times Im like dammit, was that app in utilities or productivity or multimedia.

Or Local vs Travel vs webstore.

Hmmm

I just use the search function to find the apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.