Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stormxeron

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2016
Macbook Pro 2011 with failure AMD GPU - High Sierra 10.13.6

I did the new High Sierra Security Update 2019-002 (29 March 2019) with Safe Mode enabled all the time by boot-args (-x).

Boot-args (-x) is prohibited by SIP (csrutil enable). If you have SIP disabled, then you do not need to enter Recovery Mode to enable Safe Mode in boot-args (-x).

New OS Build Version 17G6030 with this SecUpdate 2019-2 - 29 march 2019.

Update by App Store.

Attention: When you put Safe Mode always on, then the system will be a bit slow (no hardware acceleration) and so it will take a little more time to complete the SecUpdate installation.

Make the SecUpdate 2019 with Macbook Pro 2011 connected with the MagSafe in the outlet.

Even when you enter Recovery Mode with Safe Mode enabled in boot-args (-x), Recovery Mode slows down. It looks like Macbook Pro 2011 will freeze but just wait a little longer to open the Terminal and disable Safe Mode from boot-args (-x).

You do not need to be in Recovery Mode to disable Safe Mode in boot-args (-x). It is only a warning if you enter Recovery Mode with Safe Mode On in boot-args (-x).

Code:
sudo nvram -d boot-args

or

Code:
nvram -d boot-args

Do the update to the Safe Mode active in boot-args (-x) not freeze the Macbook Pro 2011 during installation by AMDRadeonX3000.kext.

1 - Boot in Recovery Mode - press Command + R keys at boot. Turn On Safe Mode and disable SIP (csrutil).

Load graphical screen -> Menu Utilities -> Terminal
Code:
nvram -d boot-args

nvram boot-args="-v -x"

csrutil disable

reboot

-v : verbose mode
-x : safe mode always ON.

2 - Now the Macbook Pro 2011 will boot into Safe Mode automatically without having to press the SHIFT key.

After logging into Safe Mode -> App Store -> Update -> Update All
I chose "Download and Restart" in the message that appears after you choose "Update All".

3 - After the App Store to download the SecUpdate 2019-2, then the MacOS will do Log Off and started the first part of the installation and reboot more 3 times.

4 - After completing the installation of SecUpdate 2019-2, then Mac OS will rebuild kext cache with the problematic AMDRadeonX3000.kext inside the prelinkedkernel file.
Since Mac OS is in Safe Mode automatically, then Macbook Pro 2011 will not freeze because it will not load AMDRadeonX3000.kext (Safe Mode rules).

Then the installation of SecUpdate 2019-2 will not stop in the middle of the process.

5 - If you arrived at the login screen after installation, then SecUpdate 2019-2 was completed.

If you have File Vault enabled (encrypted disk), then the first graphical login will be to open the encrypted disk and continue the installation of SecUpdate 2019-2.

Now follow MikeyN Guide - page 35 #875 - to move or delete the AMDRadeonX3000.kext (new from SecUpdate 2019-2) and recontruct the prelinkedkernel file without the AMDRadeonX3000.kext inside.

If you have an AMDRadeonX3000.kext (backup) working properly, then you can choose to move or delete the new AMDRadeonX3000.kext (new from SecUpdate 2019-2).

6 - After completing the MikeyN Guide - page 35 #875 -, then disable the Automatic Safe Mode in boot-args (-x).

Remember:
Single User Mode (Command + S) / Recovery Mode (Command + R) does not need the sudo command. You're already the root (administrator) in these modes above.

Code:
sudo nvram -d boot-args

or

Code:
nvram -d boot-args

7 - If you want to keep the boot in Verbose mode:
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="-v"

or

Code:
nvram boot-args="-v"

8 - Is everything working correctly with the normal boot and the AMD kexts loaded correctly? If so, then enable SIP again.

Code:
csrutil enable

reboot

9 - Check new OS Build Version

Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal
Code:
ioreg -lw0 | grep -i 17G

|   "OS Build Version" = "17G6030"

or

Apple Logo (top left corner of the screen) -> About this Mac -> System Report -> Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: macOS 10.13.6 (17G6030)

Kernel Version: Darwin 17.7.0

@nsgr, Do you think this method will work for 2019-003 security updates as well? Should I try?

vicdda

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2019
Brasil
I have a macbook pro 2011 with a problem on the chip. I took it in an electronics to make the exchange but they failed and left the chip off the plate. will it be possible to connect the macbook without the graphics chip? or is it not recommended? Is it possible to function?

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
I have a macbook pro 2011 with a problem on the chip. I took it in an electronics to make the exchange but they failed and left the chip off the plate. will it be possible to connect the macbook without the graphics chip? or is it not recommended? Is it possible to function?
Yes, but you will have to disable the dedicated GPU via hardware, or by using my custom gMux IC firmware. Somebody actually just did this yesterday with my custom firmware, and it worked great!

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-gmux-ic-bypass.2134019/page-15#post-27442622

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

nsgr

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2017
@nsgr, Do you think this method will work for 2019-003 security updates as well? Should I try?

I did the Security Update High Sierra 10.3.6 - 2019-003 with boot-args="-v -x" + SIP Disable (
csrutil disable) and everything went well.

This is a big update and even Recovery Mode is updated.
System Information -> Software: macOS 10.13.6 (17G7024)

The Recovery Mode is updated first. Then the system partition (normal boot) is updated.

It took 1 hour to complete the entire update. Many reboots.

I noticed that the "-x" in boot-args slows down the Macbook Pro. But at least it does not freeze in the middle of the update.

Update with MagSafe connected in Macbook Pro.

After complete Update -> follow MikeyN Guide - page 35 - #875 .

Last edited:
Reactions: stormxeron

vicdda

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2019
Brasil
Yes, but you will have to disable the dedicated GPU via hardware, or by using my custom gMux IC firmware. Somebody actually just did this yesterday with my custom firmware, and it worked great!

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-gmux-ic-bypass.2134019/page-15#post-27442622

View attachment 841776 View attachment 841777 View attachment 841778
Can you tell me if I can do the recording with this device? I am in Brazil and if you buy Lattice, it takes about 45 days to arrive. I need my laptop urgently !!!!
https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br...i-usb-blaster-cpld-fpga-000102-_JM?quantity=1

sepegden

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2019
Hi, have revived my brothers 2011 Macbook with this solution multiple times, great fix!
Is there a way to disallow programs in OS X to switch to the external GPU? For example he fired up Photoshop that defaulted to the eGPU a crashed everything?

Sorry if this has been covered in the thread previously, 75 pages is a lot to work through

I'm also having the issue where photoshop crashes my revived macbook because of it reverting to the AMD Gpu i presume....did anyone manage to get passed this without soldering the motherboard?

stormxeron

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2016
I did the Security Update High Sierra 10.3.6 - 2019-003 with boot-args="-v -x" + SIP Disable (
csrutil disable) and everything went well.

This is a big update and even Recovery Mode is updated.
System Information -> Software: macOS 10.13.6 (17G7024)

The Recovery Mode is updated first. Then the system partition (normal boot) is updated.

It took 1 hour to complete the entire update. Many reboots.

I noticed that the "-x" in boot-args slows down the Macbook Pro. But at least it does not freeze in the middle of the update.

Update with MagSafe connected in Macbook Pro.

After complete Update -> follow MikeyN Guide - page 35 - #875 .

Successfully completed the update to 2019-003. I am using the new AMDRadeonX3000.kext from the update as well. No problems after login so far.
One question to you. If I shutdown my Mac after lets say a month, and after I believe NVRAM variables are resst, it takes mighty long time to start it again. What I mean is, either one of the four things happen.
1. it boots with a chime but with full black screen, I cannot see any apple logo even if I light up the back side of the screen. I have to force shut down again.
2. It boots with repeating chime sound and full black screen, [sound]...1sec....[sound]....1sec....[sound].... and continues till I force shut down again.
3. It boots with distorted screen(sometimes blue/ grey and white distortions) and I cannot see nothing, where I am or can go, so I have to restart it again, then either 1 or 2 of the things above happen again.

Finally after many/too many force restarts and going through 1 and 2 the most of the time and 3 the least, and after letting the mac to overheat for sometime(might be a placebo)
4. a final eye warming boot screen with no distortions appear and I can get into the single user mode, see clear texts, set the NVRAM variable and get into the login screen. Then it works untill I restart.

What do you think is causing the full black screen? Do you recommend doing anything to boot it up in one go?

nsgr

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2017
Successfully completed the update to 2019-003. I am using the new AMDRadeonX3000.kext from the update as well. No problems after login so far.
One question to you. If I shutdown my Mac after lets say a month, and after I believe NVRAM variables are resst, it takes mighty long time to start it again. What I mean is, either one of the four things happen.
1. it boots with a chime but with full black screen, I cannot see any apple logo even if I light up the back side of the screen. I have to force shut down again.
2. It boots with repeating chime sound and full black screen, [sound]...1sec....[sound]....1sec....[sound].... and continues till I force shut down again.
3. It boots with distorted screen(sometimes blue/ grey and white distortions) and I cannot see nothing, where I am or can go, so I have to restart it again, then either 1 or 2 of the things above happen again.

Finally after many/too many force restarts and going through 1 and 2 the most of the time and 3 the least, and after letting the mac to overheat for sometime(might be a placebo)
4. a final eye warming boot screen with no distortions appear and I can get into the single user mode, see clear texts, set the NVRAM variable and get into the login screen. Then it works untill I restart.

What do you think is causing the full black screen? Do you recommend doing anything to boot it up in one go?

Maybe you have a problem in EFI chip (inside logic board).

1 - The Macbook Pro 2011 that I do the tests never lost the "nvram gpu-power-prefs". Only when I do the "reset NVRAM/PRAM".

2 - Repeated chime sound may be a problem in one of the memory slots or the RAM module.

If you have two RAM modules then you can leave only one RAM module and see if the problem continues.

If the chime sound continues, then test the RAM module in another slot.

The Macbook Pro 2011 that I do the tests has a problem in one of the RAM slots. My solution was to buy an 8GB RAM module and put it in the Slot that is working properly.

Now I do not have the sound of repeated chime.

3 - EFI chip lost NVRAM gpu-power-prefs to Intel GPU.

Overheat Macbook Pro 2011 does some things on the AMD GPU chip.
In my first tests I had to overheat the Macbook Pro 2011 to be able to get into the Recovery Mode graphical environment.
After the AppleMacFinder post (Linux) and after the discovery of the gpu-power-prefs NVRAM command, then I no longer need to overheat.

Update 1:
You can make an executable file with nvram gpu-power-prefs and put it in the "root" directory or at the first directory level.

You enter the name of the executable file with the black screen and make a gpu-power-pref nvram along with a Reboot command.

I'm going to do a test and then put the contents of the executable file later.

You will enter the name of the executable file in the dark.

Update 2:

A) Create intelgpu executable file with nvram gpu-power-prefs Intel GPU with Graphical environment:

1 - Boot normal or Safe Mode (press SHIFT key at boot).

2 - Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

3 - Go to the first level directory with cd command (cd = change directory) - cd "SPACE key" /
Code:
cd /

4 - Confirm first level directory with ls command.
The directories will be listed: System, Users, Library, etc.
Code:
ls

System                etc                private
Applications            Users                home                sbin
Volumes                installer.failurerequests    tmp
DisableExtensions        bin        usr
Library                cores                net                var
Network                dev                opt

5 - Use nano text editor with sudo command (root administrator privileges).
Code:
sudo nano intelgpu

6 - Copy and paste this commands exactly:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01
reboot
exit 0

7 - Exit and save file text intelgpu
7.1 - Press CTRL + X
7.2 - Nano editor message: Save modified buffer (ANSWERING "No" WILL DESTROY CHANGES)
7.3 - Press Y key for YES -> save and exit intelgpu file.

8 - Change file attribute intelgpu -> chmod command -> executable file (x)
Code:
sudo chmod +x intelgpu

9 - Confirm intelgpu with executable attribute (x) - ls command.
Code:
ls -la intelgpu

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  89 Jun 13 15:49 intelgpu

10 - On UNIX systems, executable files that are not in the system PATH must be used "./" before the name of the executable file (intelgpu).

Run intelgpu executable file with no "./" - error message
Code:
intelgpu

bash: intelgpu: command not found

Run intelgpu with "./" with sudo command - nvram command need sudo command.
Remember: your Macbook Pro will reboot.
Code:
sudo ./intelgpu

Error nvram command without sudo command:
Code:
./intelgpu

nvram: Error setting variable - 'fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs': (iokit/common) general error

11 - When you turn on the Macbook Pro 2011 and appear stripes or black screen, then restart Macbook Pro 2011 in Single User Mode (press Command + S keys at boot).

Edit 1:

12 - Run intelgpu executable file in the dark (black screen).

In Single User Mode no needed sudo command. It is optional.

Boot Single User Mode. Wait 2 minute.

First press ENTER key 3 times. In my tests, the Single User Mode is locked on the command line. There are some messages.

I press ENTER 3 times and the command line is available.

Code:
./intelgpu

Last edited:

stormxeron

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2016
Maybe you have a problem in EFI chip (inside logic board).

11 - When you turn on the Macbook Pro 2011 and appear stripes or black screen, then restart Macbook Pro 2011 in Single User Mode (press Command + S keys at boot).

12 - Run intelgpu executable file in the dark (black screen).

sudo "SPACE key" ./intelgpu
Code:
sudo ./intelgpu

Thank you for the message.
At step. 11 , the problem I face the most is, When I boot, most of the time(90% of the time), I can't see anything! If I press Command + S, the screen is still black with no single-user commandline texts, no _cursor, nothing. I can't see if it has entered into single user mode or not. Is single user running in the background even with black screen? and if I type 'sudo ./intelgpu' even if I can't see what I typed, does it work? If it works, that would be awesome.

Also, the repeating chime boot only occurs if I force restart my mac too too many times because of the black screen I face 90% of the time after every force restart. If 'sudo ./intelgpu' typed(after command + s) without seeing what/where I am typing works, then my problem will be solved completely.

Last edited:

nsgr

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2017
Thank you for the message.
At step. 11 , the problem I face the most is, When I boot, most of the time(90% of the time), I can't see anything! If I press Command + S, the screen is still black with no single-user commandline texts, no _cursor, nothing. I can't see if it has entered into single user mode or not. Is single user running in the background even with black screen? and if I type 'sudo ./intelgpu' even if I can't see what I typed, does it work? If it works, that would be awesome.

Also, the repeating chime boot only occurs if I force restart my mac too too many times because of the black screen I face 90% of the time after every force restart. If 'sudo ./intelgpu' typed(after command + s) without seeing what/where I am typing works, then my problem will be solved completely.

Edit 1 in my previous post. Step 12.

If the problem is only from the AMD GPU (black screen), then I think it will work. Only testing in practice.

stormxeron

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2016
Edit 1 in my previous post. Step 12.

If the problem is only from the AMD GPU (black screen), then I think it will work. Only testing in practice.

I created the script, I will try that whenever I reboot my Mac and confront the black screen. I will update the post with results. Thanks for your help.

kd8nzg

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2015
Salem, OH
Can you explain the code thing again please?
[doublepost=1492654141][/doublepost]Also

Has anyone tried realising the GPU with a heat gun?

Failing the EFI and reflowing fix, is their anyway the machine is salvageable?

Do the Chinese make working logic board copies?

Can the parts be re build in another machine ?

So I followed all of these steps up to the point I boot into linux. I put "nomodeset" at the end of the text. The computer boots up and I see a bit of text and then it restarts. Any help/advice?

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Sadly it does not seem to be open source. What if there's a backdoor? And all the people there are sharing the solutions for free, while yours requires getting some expensive one-time licence - that's unless someone will find a way to crack your stuff and release it for free

tony359

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2018
Macbook Pro 2011 with failure AMD GPU - High Sierra 10.13.6

I did the new High Sierra Security Update 2019-002 (29 March 2019) with Safe Mode enabled all the time by boot-args (-x).

Many MANY thanks for taking the time to do this. I have successfully upgraded my macbook, no issues at all.

THANK YOU!

nsgr

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2017
Macbook Pro Early 2011 - High Sierra 10.13.6

Good news for those who do not have a system installed or a USB stick with the Mac OS installer with failed AMD GPU active (red screen / white stripes) -> Macbook Pro 2011 overheat/freeze to get Recovery Mode (Graphical).

Test: Macbook Pro 2011 (failed AMD GPU active) with ethernet cable connection. Download Mac OS Lion installer with only nvram command.

SIP (csrutil) only El Capitan, Sierra and High Sierra, etc.

Option+Command+R: Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift+Option+Command+R:
Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Recovery Mode (text - terminal):

1 - Power on Macbook Pro 2011 with red screen and white stripes. Press Option+Command+R keys or
Shift+Option+Command+R keys.

2 - Macbook Pro connect to Apple Server and download BaseSystem.dmg (Recovery Mode).

3 - The screen shows the world globe spinning and progress bar (download).

4 - Press Command + S keys and hold 5 seconds. Release Command + S keys.

5 - When the progress bar reaches 90%, press Command + S and continue holding.

6 -After the progress bar reaches 100%, then Recovery Mode will load.
As the Command + S keys are still pressed, then Recovery Mode will go to text mode (no overheat and freeze Macbook Pro 2011).

7 - Several messages will appear on the screen and wait until several "s" appears. You continue pressing Command + S keys.

8 - Press the ENTER key 3 times to clear the command line.

9 - Enter nvram command with gpu-power-prefs to Intel GPU:
Code:
nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00

or

Code:
nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01

9.1 - To prevent the Macbook Pro 2011 freeze in the middle of the installation of the Mac OS, then set the option (-x) in boot-args.

The (-x) in boot-args slows down the performance of Macbook Pro 2011. The installation will take longer to complete.

Install with the MagSafe connected to the power outlet.

boot-args:
-v : verbose mode - optional.
-x: safe mode

Code:
nvram -d boot-args
nvram boot-args="-v -x"

10 - Reboot Macbook Pro 2011
Code:
reboot

11 - Press Option+Command+R keys or Shift+Option+Command+R keys -> download Recovery Mode -> Recovery Mode (Graphical) -> install Mac OS.

12 - Read MikeyN Guide deacrese AMD GPU - System temperature - #875

13 - Remove (-x) boot-args:
Code:
nvram -d boot-args

or

Code:
sudo nvram -d boot-args

Mac startup key combinations
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Update 1:

Step 9.1, 12 and 13 added.

Last edited:

Stuffa

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2017
Hi All. Back in May 2017 I successfully managed to apply the dGPu fix to get my daughters 2011 Macbook Pro usable again. It has not missed a beat since.

The MBP is currently running Mavericks and my daughter would like to do a clean install/upgrade to High Sierra on an SSD to give it a performance boost.

My question is will this cause the fix to fail and allow the dGPU to become "active" again?

pckrullenbol

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2016
The Netherlands
The MBP is currently running Mavericks and my daughter would like to do a clean install/upgrade to High Sierra on an SSD to give it a performance boost.
My question is will this cause the fix to fail and allow the dGPU to become "active" again?

You get back the hardware issue of the failing dGPU.
I think you don't get much better performance with (High) Sierra but the SSD is a must-do! That really boosts the performance.

Stuffa

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2017
You get back the hardware issue of the failing dGPU.
I think you don't get much better performance with (High) Sierra but the SSD is a must-do! That really boosts the performance.

Ok. Can I just do a clone to a new SSD with the same OS and retain the fix? Rather not have to do the fix again if I don't have to. I think I fluked it last time. (not a mac user at all)

bbbc

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
Sadly it does not seem to be open source. What if there's a backdoor? And all the people there are sharing the solutions for free, while yours requires getting some expensive one-time licence - that's unless someone will find a way to crack your stuff and release it for free
$20 is expensive to resurrect an upgradeable MacBook Pro? I'm totally into open source, but can't a guy make a reasonable buck. I've used dosdude1 twice and he didn't rape me (monetarily) whatsoever. I don't know about others, but I'd like to keep dosdude1 motivated to fix crap Apple knows has been buggy since day one.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
@dosdude1 Is there a reason the tool you developed removes all the AMD kexts?

The GPU in my 2011 17" MBP hasn't gone bad, but I'd still like to disable it to run MacOS Mojave on the Intel HD 3000 exclusively (and decrease the likelihood of dGPU failure in the future). Problem is, with all the AMD kexts removed, the brightness control does not work. I reinstalled the AMD kexts from MacOS Sierra to resolve the brightness control issue.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
@dosdude1 Is there a reason the tool you developed removes all the AMD kexts?

The GPU in my 2011 17" MBP hasn't gone bad, but I'd still like to disable it to run MacOS Mojave on the Intel HD 3000 exclusively (and decrease the likelihood of dGPU failure in the future). Problem is, with all the AMD kexts removed, the brightness control does not work. I reinstalled the AMD kexts from MacOS Sierra to resolve the brightness control issue.
I hadn't realized only one needed to be removed at the time I made it. I'll probably update it sometime soon to resolve this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.