Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmwpowere36m3

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
Same issue plagued my early 2011 15" MBP... OS X started reporting more and more issues when using Safari with many tabs open or hours. Often times freezing up or rebooting. Eventually it wouldn't boot past the gray start up screen. Tried resetting SMC and NVRAM a few times and luckily enough, it booted and I was able to run TM. It ran a little longer and finally wouldn't boot past gray startup, no matter what I tried.

Figured the laptop was done, not worth replacing the logic board with another "ticking time-bomb". Found this thread and first tried the commands to disable the GPU. Laptop booted normally, but the fix only last so long and was a little buggy. However, it confirmed the GPU was the issue. Some more searching and I stumbled on the CMIzapper chip... for $70 figured it was worth a shot.

Success! Laptop works great now and I upgraded the original HDD to a SSD... wow that really is noticeable in how quickly things load. Hopefully get a few more years out of the machine.

Cerberus333

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2020
Hi, I read most of the post on this and some other threads but can’t seem to find any answer. My MacBook 8,2 recently started to boot on grey screen. After research, I did everything posted here and everything worked on Sierra. So then I decided I want Mojave and did the patched installation disabled gpu and now Mojave works, even the brightness keys work that are supposed not to... Anyway now my only problem is video playback, it’s glitchy and unusable when playing anything else beside h264. I suppose it has to do with metal not being supported. Is there anyway to make video playback on Mojave? Sorry if this question has been answered before or if I am on the wrong thread

Last edited:

Sakic10

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
Hi, I'm wondering if you guys have the answer for me. I used the macmod to use Linux to set up Intel as the graphics on my 2011 15". I can now boot into safe mode and AMD is still there under hardware. Is removing the Radeon chip 100% necessary? That I have no experience with doing. Currently the computer will not boot regularly, only in safe mode.

rmw700

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2019
I finally got the problem resolved by using Real Mac Mods
IT Elite Compute Service
1298 E Philadelphia Ave
Boyertown, Pa
Adam@realmacmods.com
$85 to do gpu bypass and soder jumper on logic board

Works with one gpu now

Shianh

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have a 2011 17-inch MBP that I had reballed (yes I watched Rossman's video). It lasted over a year, which I guess is better than average.

I'm now considering permanently bypassing the AMD GPU, BUT - I am concerned about the following:

1. Brightness control no longer working (this is documented)
  2. External monitor no longer possible (this is documented)
  3. Can no longer use certain apps, namely Parallels Desktop (I'm suspecting this)
I wanted to ask the folks here in this community and on this thread with some experience with this issue if:

• A) they know of a way to address issue #1 and/or 2 above, and
  • B) they can confirm that indeed, Parallels Desktop cannot run if your Mac can only use the Intel chip)
  • C) if I try the command-only solution (not dosdude's physical chip), can I revert back to how it was before, and if so, is there a guide somewhere on how to revert?
Thanks in advance and if anyone has their MBP only running on the Intel chip, if you could try installing a trial of Parallels Desktop and see if it will run and boot a VM (I think it comes with a free Linux VM), I would be eternally grateful to you.

Cheers

Kweb

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2020
So the issue I am having is this.

If I am not plugged in and the computer goes to sleep, I get a black screen. After restarting it wont boot up, but I get a chime and can heard CD drive. I need to chuck the MBP under a blanket and over heat it to get the screen to work. A trick i founds is just to keep a screen saver on so it doesnt go to sleep and keeping it attached to power at all hours. 30 days uptime is my record, before I sometimes forget to plug it in. :)

For what its worth I added the sleep/hibernation tricks but I think something else besides the GPU might be going haywire. Since they don't seem to be doing much.

Running Mojave. Also should add the sound has gone out but will randomly come back. maybe Just a bad logic board after my heat treatments..

Any words of wisdom anyone can add that arent already here in 109 pages of posts?

Dman91

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2011
@AppleMacFinder

Thank you for the detailed instructions, my MacBook Pro is back to life after almost 3 years, I tried the simple Mac version, but a few things are off, for instance the graphics sometimes get all crazy again after shutdown/boot up and I have either to repeat the steps, or sometimes it just boots fine after a few restarts.

Sometimes when I restart the Mac, the screen goes black but the cursor is still visible and the machine does not reboot.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

hermannkm

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2019
Fix for 17 inch dGPU switch issue

(Tested successfully in both “early” and “late” 2011 17 inch MacBook Pro)

This guide is based on the experience of many users (including me) while trying to fix the very well known issue with AMD dGPU on 17’’ MacBook Pro from 2011 (both early and late):

Step 0) As a starting point I made a clean installation of Sierra (Version 10.12.4) — This is just a step for establishing a common middle ground and is not really needed….

0.1)
To do this just download the installer from the App Store and then use “DiskMaker X” to create a bootable installation.

0.2) After the bootable image is created, proceed to turn off your computer and hold the “Alt” or “Options” Key. Select the Sierra installer and proceed with the installation (I format the HDD partition to make a clean install on it)

Note: You might need to do this on another computer. Just buy one of those cheap usb to sata connectors and use it to connect it to another Mac so you don’t risk having your installation failed because of your machine.

Step 1) Prepare a Bootable USB pendrive with a non GUI Linux (Credits to AppleMacFinder)

1.1) Download ArchLinux ISO

You need a working computer for that and a spare CD/DVD/USB drive. Download the latest Arch Linux ISO image from this page - https://www.archlinux.org/download/ , at the time of writing it is archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso . Then you could either simply burn this ISO to CD/DVD (which later could be either inserted to MBP's SuperDrive or External DVD Drive connected to MBP by two USB cables) or create a bootable USB: use the great detailed instructions from this page, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_flash_installation_media

1.2) Creating the bootable USB with the .iso:

In macOS

First, you need to identify the USB device. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and list all storage devices with the command:

*) diskutil list

Your USB device will appear as something like /dev/disk2 (external, physical). Verify that this is the device you want to erase by checking its name and size and then use its identifier for the commands below instead of /dev/diskX.

A USB device is normally auto-mounted in macOS, and you have to unmount (not eject) it before block-writing to it with dd. In Terminal, do:

*) diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskX

Now copy the ISO image file to the device. The dd command is similar to its Linux counterpart, but notice the 'r' before 'disk' for raw mode which makes the transfer much faster:

*) sudo dd if=path/to/arch.iso of=/dev/rdiskX bs=1m

After completion, macOS may complain that "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer". Select 'Ignore'. The USB device will be bootable.

Step 2) Boot to Linux (Credits to AppleMacFinder):

2.1) Boot to it:
insert this CD/DVD/USB to Macbook Pro, hold Option key while booting, choose "EFI boot" (that is your bootable installation media), press "e" key to edit the GRUB options of the Arch Linux archiso x86_64 UEFI CD menu entry while it is selected at the main screen, add nomodeset to the end of this line and press Enter. If everything is done correctly, you will find yourself at the Linux console! (It takes some time so be patient and wait for the prompt)

2.2) Edit EFI vars: looks like efivarfs filesystem is mounted by default! So you can already cd /sys/firmware/efi/efivars and ls to explore this directory and see if there is a "gpu-power-prefs-..." variable (where ... is UUID of this variable).

2.2-Case 1:

If there is such a variable, its better to remove it with rm.

*) rm gpu-power-prefs-…

In my case the efivarfs has been mounted by default with read/write permissions, but if you are getting the "operation not permitted" message while attempting to rm, it means that in your case efivarfs has been mounted as read-only and you need to remount it with read-write permissions and try again (credits to totoe_84 for this valuable addition) (Try this and then try to remove it):

*) cd /

*) umount /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/

*) mount -t efivarfs rw /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/

*) cd /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/

*) rm gpu-power-prefs-…

If this also fails (If you still can’t erase the file) use chattr command to disable file immutability and then erase the file:

*) chattr -i "/sys/firmware/efi/efivars/gpu-power-prefs-…”

*) cd /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/

*) rm gpu-power-prefs-…

2.2-Case 2:

The file gpu-power-prefs-… doesn’t exist well then you don’t have to delete it hahaha. (I repaired 2 17 inch models and 1 didn’t have it, so it’s fine)

2.3) Create a new gpu-power-prefs-… file (Original credit mentioned above, https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch/blob/master/gpu-switch, Credits to AppleMacFinder):

*)
printf "\x07\x00\x00\x00\x01\x00\x00\x00" > /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/gpu-power-prefs-fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9

2.4) Add immutability to the gpu-power-prefs-… file (Credits to AppleMacFinder):

This chattr command is supposed to lock a file to make it accessible only by "superuser" - and so that, while booting, your EFI will have no chance to screw up your gpu-power-prefs-... variable under any circumstances

*) chattr +i "/sys/firmware/efi/efivars/gpu-power-prefs-fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9"

2.5) Unmount efivars and reboot (Credits to AppleMacFinder):

Could not unmount efivars if you are inside this directory, so change to the root directory

*) cd /

*) umount /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/

Guarantees that your EFI variables are flushed to efivarfs filesystem, please unmount it safely before rebooting)

*) reboot

3) Eliminate AMD Kexts (Credits to newfield),
Note: You might need to do this every time you do an OS updates, since each update normally writes the AMD Kexts again.

(His words and this also happened to me!: After disabling the dGPU using Arch, normal boot would hang halfway. Although safe boot would work. I wound up having to remove all the AMD kext files in the Terminal in Recovery Console)

Trying to remove them in Single User just gave me sandbox errors. (Summary -> Don’t do it in Single User Mode the one that you boot with Cmd + S)

3.1) So what you have to do is:

If you have FileVault Unlock it first:

Unlock first.

Then Boot into Recovery (“cmd + r”, it will boot without failing, if it fails then repeat step 2 and then after that boot directly into recovery with command + R, I had to do this once because the dGPU got active again after booting into the os with AMD kexts)

*)
Boot into recovery mode (Command + r)

*) Start Terminal

*) diskutil cs list (find UUID for drive)

*) diskutil coreStorage unlockVolume UUID

*) cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

*) mkdir AMD_Kexts

*) mv System/Library/Extensions/AMD*.* AMD_Kexts/

*) reboot

(If you only have one storage with 1 partition just use "cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD" and the remaining commands after starting the terminal)

Extra STEP), if your PC is now working! Download “steveschow” branch of gfxCardStatus (gfxCardStatus v2.4.3i) or just download the app directly from:

URLS:

https://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus/releases

https://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus

With this application you can even prove that the dedicated GPU can't get activated. Even if you try to change the selected GPU to the dedicated one, it just won't change.

—————

The End!

AND VOILA!!! You have a working 17 inch MacBook Pro. As I said I tested this with an early 2011 and late 2011 17 inch MacBook Pro’s and both are now running (Before they were both dead)

Big thanks to AppleMacFinder, to the makers and contributors of this thread, to gfxCardStatus maker and forkers :D (steveschow) and to switch-gpu makers I can’t thank you guys enough as I am so happy to bring both of this incredible machines back to life. With this post I am not trying to take any credit, but as I had 2 machines I run into different issues with both, which could be helpful to others, thats why I was inclined to make “my own” guide and share it with you.

I just created an account here to share this, Hope it helps more people!

Just followed your steps and was able to get my MBPro Early 2011 working again (without AMD GPU) - thanks, really GREAT. Just two remarks:
1. Creating a new gpu-power-prefs is easily done be using the gpu-activity-... filename completed with a tab key and then changing the beginning of the filename.
2. Deleting AMD Drivers did not work for me either way. But the MBPro 2011 allows to take the HD out of the case into an external drive case. Then it was easily done from another MB to delete/move these files.

Uque

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2020
Hi guys.
Sorry if this has been asked already, couldn't find an answer.
I'm trying to revert dosdude1 utility for disabling the radeon gpu, in order to do the now updated process found here.

However, when I went into the extensions folder I couldn't find any radeon kext file, apparently the patch moves all the files to a folder called .AMDRadeon_backup, they are all there. I've tried using commands like mv, cp -R, in order to move the kexts back to the Extensions folder but couldn't do it.

Does anyone know how to restore this kexts?

Thanks!

Last edited:

BrattishBenny

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2020
Hi guys.
Sorry if this has been asked already, couldn't find an answer.
I'm trying to revert dosdude1 utility for disabling the radeon gpu, in order to do the now updated process found here.

However, when I went into the extensions folder I couldn't find any radeon kext file, apparently the patch moves all the files to a folder called .AMDRadeon_backup, they are all there. I've tried using commands like mv, cp -R, in order to move the kexts back to the Extensions folder but couldn't do it.

Does anyone know how to restore this kexts?

Thanks!
I just reinstall the OS lol

SCRATCHaz

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2020
Hi guys.

I am not a technician, but I have studied and read a lot regarding the defective GPU in 2011 MacBook Pro. I have come across interesting observations which I can't find an answer or explanation.

I have two Macbook Pro's 8.3 (early 2011 17"). The one is with the failed GPU, so I have deactivated removing AMD kext following all steps (wasn't playing with changing EFI variables in Linux). The MBP is running perfectly on High Sierra 10.13.6 without any issues with brightness control, closing lid or restart/shutdown. And I haven't done any additional modifications apart from those that are mentioned in the thread.

The second MBP (running El Capitan) is still working with GPU, but showing all the symptoms of dying GPU: random freezes and restarts, blank screen on startup (with a chime or without), scrambled graphics. The most annoying thing is that sometimes after opening lid it freezes and shows a black screen and after forced shutdown, it doesn't boots-up (only CD/DVD sound, no chime, and blank screen). Then I have to wait while it will heat up (under the pillow), then unplug the charger that the battery would go completely empty and then reset SMC and so on. Only after that, it starts to boot again. The interesting fact that the issues with GPU started straight away after upgrading the RAM (from 8GB to 16GB). Not sure if the upgrade has impacted the fast GPU failure. On this MBP the logic board was once replaced under the Apple recall program and it lasted for almost 4 years before the upgrade.

Interesting observations:

It looks like even defective GPUs if you give the time for the MBP to heat enough it will boot-up. Then it will work if the overall temperature will be within the average range and there will be no heavy load on GPU. Tested on both MBPs. So no need to go to repair store to make a reflow.

The Arabesque screen saver (standard) which has a significant strain on GPU acts on both MBPs differently. On the one that still works with GPU and runs El Capitan, it works without any lag even using integrated graphics (gfxCardStatus shows that integrated graphics are used). On the other MBP (with disabled GPU and running High Sierra) the screen saver is so laggy. Keeping in mind that the first MPB (with enabled GPU) runs on HDD and faulty one on SSD it is very strange. Then I have switched the SSD to MBP that is with enabled GPU and I found interesting things. By default, if you don't switch to GPU the screen saver runs on integrated graphics on High Serra and it is very laggy, but if you manually switch to AMD then it works fine. Is there a difference in graphics processes between El Capitan and High Sierra?

Also, I would like to ask if the manual increase of VRAM on integrated graphics really helps.

Thanks!

goodgod1

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2020
I have a 15" MBP 8,2 (A1286) currently on mac os x 10.6.8 and the problematic AMD Radeon HD 6490M in it here.

I plan on upgrading to the newest version of Catalina by using dosdude's Catalina patcher.

What's your guys take on preemptively having the 1 resistor removed (as described here: https://realmacmods.com/macbook-2011-radeon-gpu-disable/) even if no issues have occured yet (as the MBP is still on 10.6.8) in order to permanently fix any future GPU issues after having upgraded to Catalina?

Is the sleep mode and brightness control not working properly on above mentioned MBP linked to the software or hardware fix of this GPU issue?

JMVB

macrumors regular
May 16, 2016
I have a 15" MBP 8,2 (A1286) currently on mac os x 10.6.8 and the problematic AMD Radeon HD 6490M in it here.

I plan on upgrading to the newest version of Catalina by using dosdude's Catalina patcher.

What's your guys take on preemptively having the 1 resistor removed (as described here: https://realmacmods.com/macbook-2011-radeon-gpu-disable/) even if no issues have occured yet (as the MBP is still on 10.6.8) in order to permanently fix any future GPU issues after having upgraded to Catalina?

Is the sleep mode and brightness control not working properly on above mentioned MBP linked to the software or hardware fix of this GPU issue?

Did the same procedure.

I stay in El Capitan.. no problems so far

Onetest Osteek

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2020
Just tried with one module, I will try tonight with the module of the other macbook
no beep sound, just the chime sound, sometimes a looping chime on booting (with black screen)
thank you for your assistance

edit : I can't try the other module, this ram isn't compatible with this mbpro (2011 and 2012 models)
in my opinion, it's a gpu problem, I've always had these screen artifacts but until now I could start in single user mode, it's now impossible

Did you fix it ?
[automerge]1586141944[/automerge]
I used the MikeyN solution and my laptop worked well, only a few black screens at startup (intermittently), but now my mbpro doesn't start anymore, I reset the SMC, PRAM, I disconnected and reconnected the battery, removed and replaced the RAM, the screen shows artifacts, colors, vertical bands etc, I keep the CMD+R+S keys at startup but the single user mode remains inaccessible. I really don't know what to do anymore.

View attachment 798213 View attachment 798214 View attachment 798215 View attachment 798216 View attachment 798217 View attachment 798218 View attachment 798219 View attachment 798220 View attachment 798221 View attachment 798222

Did you fix it ?

jasonp99

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
My MPB 15" Early-2011 GPU died last Fall, and using info from this thread I got it running again. But I had only just written a shell script to set the nvram parameters to turn off the GPU. That worked initially very well. But I could only have one account logged in at any one time else the machine died, or sometimes it would just die after going into sleep mode. But usually I could keep the machine alive for days at a time with no issues.

Recently however it started to die very often, multiple times per day, and it took a lot of restarts (into single-user mode to apply nvram patch) to finally get it to reboot successfully.

So today I finally tried to do the gitHub hack but I couldn't get into Recovery mode. I finally managed that doing the method here on StackExchange (I'm running 10.13.6) and was able to complete the gitHub hack.

Now it works great! Can shutdown and it will boot right up. Can switch between user accounts and no issue. Sleep works. Brightness works. Happy camper here :)

Lashwar

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2020
Since reading @nsgr posts, I've been trying to dig more info on Power Management using pmset, but as said before it's relatively undocumented.

I'm no Unix connoisseur neither much of a coder myself, but indeed: gpuswitch command does not seem to stick around after a reboot.

But unlike @saldin , I was able to successfully pmset the iGPU for closing/opening the lid by adding the force command.
Apparently force tells PM to immediately activate these settings.
It does not write them to disk and the settings may easily be overwritten, but it works partially.
Shutdown/ Reboot still crashes though.

To automate the process I added the following line to @MikeyN LoginHook, after the kextload command:

sudo pmset -a force gpuswitch 0

So if anything happens, whenever I boot I can still close my lid safely.
Truly hoping someone comes to a definitive fix though :)
Cheers!

Hi all, My late2011 mbp 15" have the GPU problem for the second time. The first time, apple did the replacement but of course today it didn't.
I made the archlinux solution one month ago (thanks a lot for the very clear description) and everything was fine.
But since yesterday and after a restart, the computer freeze when sleep mode and the brightness control didn't work well.
I did the sudo force command indicated in the quoted post and it worked. But it is noted that the command could be easily be overwritten... but how? I'm really bad with these commands and I don't want to make mistake (I really need my computer during this homework time) so I don't know how to remove the force command. Is someone could explain me?

Thanks a lot,

lastdrop

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2020
Hi. Thanks for this guide.

My iMac (27in, Mid 2011) running Sierra (10.12.6) with AMD Radeon HD 6970 is having the same issue now.

So I followed the steps discussed in this thread:
  • Reset PRAM/NVRAM
  • Boot to Single User Mode
  • Since I can't disable SIP in single user mode, I boot into rEFInd image and disable SIP from there
  • Boot again to Single User Mode and disabled dGPU:
    Code:
    nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00
    nvram boot-args="-v"
  • Reboot
  • Move the `AMDRadeonX300.kext` to another directory then reboot
    Code:
    /sbin/mount -uw /
    mkdir -p /System/Library/Extensions-off
    mv /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext /System/Library/Extensions-off/
    touch /System/Library/Extensions/
    reboot
It still end up with a blank gray screen after disabling gpu and moving `AMDRadeonX300.kext`. I booted again in single user mode, mounted the `/` as writable and moved all `AMD*` from /System/Library/Extension to another directory. These are the files that were moved:
Code:
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMD2400Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMD2600Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMD3800Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMD4600Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMD4800Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMD5000Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMD6000Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMD7000Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMD8000Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMD9000Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 16 Jun  2017 AMD9500Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMD9510Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 16 Jun  2017 AMD9515Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 16 Jun  2017 AMD9520Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMDFramebuffer.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMDLegacyFramebuffer.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMDLegacySupport.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMDMTLBronzeDriver.bundle
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMDRadeonVADriver.bundle
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMDRadeonX3000.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMDRadeonX4000.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMDRadeonX4100.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 16 Jun  2017 AMDRadeonX4150.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 16 Jun  2017 AMDRadeonX4200.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMDShared.bundle
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel   102 28 Apr  2017 AMDSupport.kext

This time it booted properly, I was able to login and I'm using it right now. Of course the graphics rendering is very slow (animations are slow to render with flickering) but everything else (audio, network) looks fine. I was able to do a Time Machine backup and restarted twice.

Checking the System Report shows that it is still using the AMD Radeon HD 6970M GPU

1586958649060.png

I thought this should have been disabled by the "nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00" command?

Does this mean that the AMD GPU is working? But i moved I already moved all the AMD* kext

Does this iMac also has a integrated gpu like the macbooks discussed in this thread? I can't see it in the system report.

Hope somebody can provide some clarification. Thanks.

lanzbulldog

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2020
Hello everyone,

I suspect I also have the problem with the GPU as described here.
Currently I have installed macOs High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G12034), and notice the following problems:

- Problem waking from sleep mode
- then have a black screen, can only get out of sleep-mode by pressing the POWER button, sometimes it fails and macbook starts allover again.
- then get a light gray screen with white gradient bar
- then I finally can only login again
- fans suddenly start to spin hard, was also in ElCapitan using e.g.Basecamp

My question is, can I also pre-emptively apply this hack to my MacBook before any bigger issues arise.
At the moment the MacBook just boots up normal and I can still do everything with it, also booting into Boot Single User.

After reading everything carefully on this subject I think at the moment this is the right solution for me:

If you have MacOS installed on your hard drive
1 - Boot Single User (press Command + S) at boot

Code: type these code (s)

nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9: gpu-power-prefs =% 01% 00% 00% 00
press Enter
nvram boot-args = "- v"
press Enter
reboot
press Enter

Have the following questions about this installation method;
- is this also possible with HighSierra
- is the graphic power the same as before, when i only use Intel GPU settings
- do I have to type each code line separately, followed by an Enter

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.