Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Well, I’m very confused by the end: how Seldon survived (I didn’t get it), why Salvor died so stupidly and what’s next.

But this second season was better. That last episode was rushed, I felt.

owidhh

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
While I feel cheated a bit by the nth bait-and-switch

Everyone's dead on Terminus, and it was a satisfactory ending (Sef Sermak redeemed somewhat, Poly finding his faith again, etc) -- nope they're not!

Seldon is dead.. nope he's not!

Tellem is dead.. nope she's not! yes she is now for real!

Overall it was a very satisfactory ending. Season 2 got better than season 1, I think...

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
While I feel cheated a bit by the nth bait-and-switch
Yeah - that's getting to be a bit of a problem.
...if people keep dying and getting resurrected then pretty soon you lose all the dramatic effect of putting them under threat, in the first place. I've actually lost track of the number of people who have "got better" this season (apart from both versions of Hari and the entire population of Terminus...) So I'm not gonna be sending flowers for Hober Mallow, Bel Riose or Day just yet because by the law of averages they'll be right back... (well, Day already is, in a sense...)

I'll give them the Emperors' "genetic dynasty" since that's a relatively original idea - and maybe one immortal digital copy of Hari Seldon rather than a bunch of static recordings - but that's enough immortality for one show, and if other characters die they should stay dead. This isn't supposed to be a Saturday Cinema cliffhanger show - the writers should trust the audience to cope with a generation-spanning story in which the characters change from season to season.

I still think that the main problem with this show is the title, and it has the makings of a good "Game of Thrones in Spaaace!" saga if only they didn't have to keep throwing in word salad from the Foundation books (which were never really suitable for turning into anything more visual than a radio play).

cybermook

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2023
I read the books long ago as a teenager and honestly was bored to death at the time in a way I probably would not be now. But given what I remember, this production doesn't reflect the books the way I pictured them. That said, in this case, based on what I've seen so far, it can stand on its own. The production values are great, thankfully with new, creatively managed effects. The story comes off no different that any other comic book space empire, and is just plain silly. Nevertheless it is so visually stunning it is worth watching.

• Love
Reactions: Tagbert

popup

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2022
I have always wanted to see series of Foundation and The Wheel of Time. And suddenly I've got the two, but ... I could barely stand the Foundation series. I watched the first season somehow and I expected it to get better. Then I lasted one week to finish the first episode of Season 2. The story is awfully presented. So many jumps back and forth in the time and the space. So many unnecessary things. Who the hell needs to see the bottom of an old Emperor in thong, pardon, I meant fundoshi? Three versions of the emperor?
They cloud have changed the name to something like The Prop and then put Inspired by Isaac Azimov's ...

Reactions: VaruLV and txa1265

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
I finally watched Season 2.
I didn't read the books, but what I knew about them gave me very high expectations for the series. And with high expectations come disappointments. Season 1 was ok, but most of the time I didn't know what's going on and what the story is about. But I guess that's because there is so much stuff that needed to be introduced. With Season 2 those problems are no more, and I could really enjoy it. Now I am hooked and can't wait for the next season.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Not sure I will be willing to watch season 3 when it airs.
I do get it that one shouldnt expect Apple to make anything remotely similar to original works given how woke and all inclusive Apple is with everything they do.
However, if I could accept that these series are only INSPIRED by Foundation works, I do not see the sane reason in making second season into space soap opera just to appeal to masses, to as wide audience as possible in result simply cutting out true sci-fi lovers.
Season 2 would be that bad if not for overly dramatic and cliche, cheesy episodes sprinkled all over it.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I just got around to watching both seasons recently. Just finished last night. It’s been over 5 decades since I read the books and my memory of them is a bit vague to say the least. My impressions is that it’s very loosely asked on the books and seems to bring in a lot more Star Wars like action. May have to reread the books.

I agree with the complaints about the asynchronous plot lines as too confusing. Never really liked them in movies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.