Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slimmyhendrix

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
MN
Season 3 has been greenlit.
Any info on wtf they will actually be able to do or just continue on the Foundation saga via screenplay?

I think Apple did an excellent job bringing a hardly readable OG sci-fi book series to modern tv standards while still being able to convey the original messages of the book(s).

A friend of mine is a hardcore witcher fan. Played all the games, read the books, even had cosplays and was pumped for season one and then was really disappointed.
Witcher was painfully hard to watch for the first 4-5 episodes. I contemplated stopping watching it a few times because it was so hard to watch and confusing as to what I was even watching. By the end of season one, they finally had captured the whole story about wtf was going on in the world and season 2 was pretty ok. IT wasn't the best fantasy series but it was not the worst.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
Any time you take a story that people have built up in their own imagination and create a tangible version of it some people are going to object that what you created doesn't match what they expect.
That is not true. Denis Villeneuve’s adaptation of “Dune” shows that it can be done properly. If Apple did as well with Foundation, no one would be complaining.

Fans of the series can’t defend it, so they resort to analyzing the alleged motives of anyone who criticizes it. An example of the logical fallacy known as “Bulverism”.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I really liked the opening episode for Season 2 and was only disappointed that there wasn't another episode ready to watch right away. Very engaging.

Reactions: MiniApple

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
I just finished up my re-watch of season 1. I almost forgot what a wonderfully made show this is. Great acting, story (I never read any of the books so I am enjoying the story it is telling), dynamics of the players, and production values. I did not have a 4K TV when it first came out on ATV+, but I do now and watching the show in 4K HDR Dolby Vision is a visual treat. It looks fantastic. I am going to start season 2 on Friday so I can watch 2 episodes.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I am very happy they do not dump all episodes. Eliminates the conflict with my wife, who likes to binge.
I like it one show at a time.
🤣
In general, I agree, but this time, when the episode was over, I was ready for another one right away.

mszilard

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2012
I'm an avid Asimov fun, read the full foundation series, but this adaptation makes me cringe. I can understand, that they have to make some changes to adapt the novels for a tv show, but boy, oh boy, they are faar away from the essence, storyline, feeling of the books.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I'm an avid Asimov fun, read the full foundation series, but this adaptation makes me cringe. I can understand, that they have to make some changes to adapt the novels for a tv show, but boy, oh boy, they are faar away from the essence, storyline, feeling of the books.
I loved the original books but that was a long time ago (and much closer to when they were first publlshed) and the books were not something that fits well into a cinematic representation without reinterpretation. i wouldn’t want to see a literal move version of the books. I’m glad that they took that world and gave us a fresh view of it.

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
Nice that it's back, wish that there would be 2-3 episodes a week tough.
visually it looks improved, hope the new stories are interesting.

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
Really enjoyed S2E1. I have read all of the Foundation novels but so long ago i can barely remember anything about them, which is probably just as well!

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
From what I can gather from book readers feedback: the show puts it's own take on certain stories and characters, taking some liberties - so it isn't a like for like live action version anyway.

Haven't read the books, just a very very broadstroke summary paragraph of the main story.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
Read the books and loved them all. I watched season 1 and it was nowhere in line with the books and made things confusing. I stopped watching and will not continue with season 2. I hope another studio like hbo might do a better job in the future if given the chance.
Appletv is trying to hard and has had many misses than hits last few years.

• Haha
Reactions: Eric Idle

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
This is the same old story of an adaptation not living up to what the book reader expects. Nothing wrong with that. This happens a lot to loved source material. I've been there with adaptations not meeting my expectations and going, why?! But as a non-book reader, I am loving Foundation.

I am not sure what other misses you think Apple has had. Most of the shows I have watched have been excellent. I guess one of the better book adaptations is Silo. From what I have seen and read, they made some small changes from the books but most have said they nailed the adaptation. Even the author.

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
I really enjoyed Season 1, but have been finding Season 2 a bit...difficult to engage with.
It jumped about a bit too much at the beginning and I got a little lost time-wise.
It's settled back into a rhythm again and I am back to enjoying it, but it nearly lost me there for a minute.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Most never are and for a good reason. Did you like the Marvel movies with Thanos? They were so far removed from the comics it left your head spinning, lol.
Books are books and movies are movies. Geez :):)
FWIW, I believe there was a MUCH LARGER descrepency between the novels and TV series, but as I mentioned previously in response to those who wish it were "one-to-one", it was deemed the novels would be terribly paced in a TV series...

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
While the production quality seems a bit improved, season 2 has been a lot less entertaining to me so far.

Don't really care about the empire "aranged marriage thing" nor and the ramp up for the "telepaths" story part is dull/needs more pace.
The only interesting stories so far are the empire internal conspiracy on who/what/why deletes the empire dawn/day/dusk memmories and the "church of Harry Seldon" (the red robbed brothers/sisters and the resourcful "thief")

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
While the production quality seems a bit improved, season 2 has been a lot less entertaining to me so far.

Don't really care about the empire "aranged marriage thing" nor and the ramp up for the "telepaths" story part is dull/needs more pace.
The only interesting stories so far are the empire internal conspiracy on who/what/why deletes the empire dawn/day/dusk memmories and the "church of Harry Seldon" (the red robbed brothers/sisters and the resourcful "thief")

I don't know how many seasons we'll get of this show, and I have yet to watch season 2. However, I do hope they do go on long enough to cover...
When the Empire actually falls. S01, Seldon stated the Empire will fall within 5 centuries. It's been 100 years since season 2, so season 5 or season 6 at this rate?

Reactions: Alwis

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
I don't know how many seasons we'll get of this show, and I have yet to watch season 2. However, I do hope they do go on long enough to cover...
When the Empire actually falls. S01, Seldon stated the Empire will fall within 5 centuries. It's been 100 years since season 2, so season 5 or season 6 at this rate?

I think either the time jumps will increase or the story will be accelerated. No data, just a gut feeling.
My guess is season 2 is finalising the setup for what you hope they will cover and it will happen in Season 3.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY

I know ... I decided early in Season 1 that I wasn't going to care how much of the books the abandoned / contradicted ... the problem I am now having is figuring out whether I ever actually liked the show ... and perhaps the frequency I am asking myself that question is answer in itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.