Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
I'm still enjoying the series but S2 seems to be a bit hard to follow at times with the various strands, some left hanging for ages. It might have been better to wait till they finished showing it and then binged the season in stead of waiting week by week.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I'm still enjoying the series but S2 seems to be a bit hard to follow at times with the various strands, some left hanging for ages. It might have been better to wait till they finished showing it and then binged the season in stead of waiting week by week.
Some of the end-of-season cliffhangers can be just as bad, if not worse. However, between the two, I would rather do as you suggested and just wait for the season to wrap up. I've been doing this with other shows on other streaming services as well, and filling out the time until then by watching movies or "shorts".

TheOldChevy

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Switzerland
I don't know where it is going. It becomes too complicated, old characters do not die and disappear, they add to the new ones. It feel that it starts to miss the whole point of the Foundation saga: its duration is over generations. Important people get remembered but do not survive.

Reactions: txa1265

TonyM42

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2015
Reading UK
I read this series of books many many years ago and seem to remember that I enjoyed them, but on the basis of this series I wouldnt read them again!

Last edited:

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I this series of books many many years ago and seem to remember that I enjoyed them, but on the basis of this series I wouldnt read them again!
The show is nothing like the books by the 4th episode ...
Book: 'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'
Show: 'GIMME GUUUNNNNZZZZZZ'

Also Book: 'Hari Seldon died'
Show: 'Yeah, about that ... '

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
The show is nothing like the books by the 4th episode ...
Book: 'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'
Show: 'GIMME GUUUNNNNZZZZZZ'

Also Book: 'Hari Seldon died'
Show: 'Yeah, about that ... '
It is written such that Hari’s death may still be the historical record. He did die on that ship on the way to Terminus. This is a clone of Hari. He may also be dead now, we’ll see, but we don’t know that this clone’s existence will ever be known outside of people within the Second Foundation.

A lot of what you are seeing is that the show is revealing the Second Foundation earlier and more clearly than the books did. It’s helps move the story better than following the book too closely.

As the violence, the Empire is full of it. Some characters are using violence. Is that surprising? I recall quite a lot of violence either in the book or implied by dialog. Hard to tell since the books were very heavy on dialog and less on actually showing the events. I’m glad that they are taking a more cinematic approach to the stories and not trying to mimic the books too much.

Reactions: MiniApple

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
This last episode was particularly slow and boring, I had to watch it over 2 days. And for sure, someone has to discovered Hari’s body and it has to be Salvor.

Reactions: Alwis

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
this weeks episode finally revealed some of the secrets (we as an audience knew already) to the characters.
About time.

• Bride to be: "I know you're a robot Demezel"
  • Bride to be to Cleon "You killed my family Cleon dun dun by Demezels hand?: dun dun"
  • the dawn Cleon cheating with day Cleon's bride to be set up
  • the Spacers receive a independent freedom offer from the Harry Seldon red robe thief priest
  • the General/BF talk about options/outcomes if the would go against the Empire
  • disovery of floating Harry clone or whatever - of corse by Salvor
  • and now Salvor is offed too...

• trapped on "telepath world" "dead" Salvor, "dead" Harry "clone" and unaware Gal
  • is the cult leader lady the mule?

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I’m listening to the official Foundation podcast and it really gives some good insights to the characters and to what the writers are thinking about this world. I know some critics on there have asked “what were they thinking?” about some of the decisions and directions of the show. At least some of those are explored in these discussions with David S. Goyer (showrunner) and various directors, actors, and writers joining for different episodes.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/foundation-the-official-podcast/id1586219793

TheOldChevy

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Switzerland
this weeks episode finally revealed some of the secrets (we as an audience knew already) to the characters.
About time.

I still don't understand why the second foundation is appearing so early. For me that's too many characters active at the same time. My souvenir from reading the book was less complicated, but maybe I forgot part of it.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Episode 8 was awesome. Probably my favorite of the season, though it's a low bar.
I think this has been a much more engaging season. Last season they had to spend so much time setting the background. This year they’ve been able to focus more on the plot and characters.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I’m listening to the official Foundation podcast and it really gives some good insights to the characters and to what the writers are thinking about this world. I know some critics on there have asked “what were they thinking?” about some of the decisions and directions of the show. At least some of those are explored in these discussions with David S. Goyer (showrunner) and various directors, actors, and writers joining for different episodes.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/foundation-the-official-podcast/id1586219793
This'll be good for the road! (although I'll have to see what options I have to access this from an Android phone :x )

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Thanks for the info! IIRC, I did access a podcast from a phone via internet before, using a website, but that was soo long ago!

That is a url that you can add to any podcast player. give it a try.

Try this https://rss.art19.com/foundation-the-official-podcast
I'm just getting an XML page. Is this something I'd need to access directly on an Android phone (as opposed to a desktop web browser)?

It looks like you don't even need to be a subscriber so this looks like it'll work!

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Thanks for the info! IIRC, I did access a podcast from a phone via internet before, using a website, but that was soo long ago!

I'm just getting an XML page. Is this something I'd need to access directly on an Android phone (as opposed to a desktop web browser)?

It looks like you don't even need to be a subscriber so this looks like it'll work!
You give the podcast url to your podcast player

owidhh

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
Episode 9 was FANTASTIC. This is easily top 5 sci-fi IMO. Finale is gonna be epic but the cliffhanger is going to brutal I just know

Yeah but that ending.. WTF!? They're either going in a totally different direction from the books (as if that wasn't obvious already haha) or that's some major misdirection... Either way, it seems like a major change...

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.