Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

owidhh

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
What struck me more is how the last scene was reminiscent of the last scene of The Force Awakens.. here's to hoping Season 2 won't be The Last Jedi 😂😂 (The Last Mathematician? 🤣)

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
It's a robot though not a person, so no I don't relate to that messing anyone up at all.

Isn’t she an AI with this code to protect the dynasty overriding her AI?
I think there’s a big distinction between AI and robot.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Bit of a turn around for the Day character in the latest episode, acted well too. Not sure why the Android went mental at the end? But very good effects I must say.
In addition to what's been said, she actually did "love" brother Dawn (he too, was empire). However, she's "sworn" to protect Empire, and in her mind, killing Dawn was the lesser of 2 evils (the other being Day and Dusk escalate to some civil war).

Reactions: Pezimak

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I just have a chance to finish this show (have to wait until I can watch most of it on my big screen TV). At first, the show looks nice but kind of flawed until E7 on.
The concept of the cloned emperors finally pay off, in a big way. Much more interesting than Gaal/Salvor story line. And
Hari as a kind of digital avatar
is really cool.

Can't wait for S2!!

Reactions: Tagbert

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
Any news on:
what stage is the filming of the new season? has it started, is it completed?
when next season is supposed to launch?

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I was a little confused of this serie, but that's ok.
I like it. In the middle I wasn't so sure But it grew on me.
The scenery is awesome also. S2 will be interesting.

Feels like it's between me and me and me anyway ☺️

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
18 months between seasons!?

This is rapidly becoming my least favourite thing about streaming services - the enormous break between seasons. How are viewers supposed to stay invested in your series when you allow them to forget your show even exists?

• Sad
Reactions: ratsg and Tagbert

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth

This is rapidly becoming my least favourite thing about streaming services - the enormous break between seasons. How are viewers supposed to stay invested in your series when you allow them to forget your show even exists?
Isn't 1 year standard for the time it takes to create a new season? If nothing else to get people to resub to ss, some shows do recaps of previous episodes or seasons to remind you of key events that transpired.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
Isn't 1 year standard for the time it takes to create a new season? If nothing else to get people to resub to ss, some shows do recaps of previous episodes or seasons to remind you of key events that transpired.
Well, it may be for streaming services, but that's not how TV production has generally worked for a long time. You may order 6 or 8 episodes of a new series to see how it does but then greenlight it for 18 or 22 if it's a hit and the show runs from October - May and shoots as it goes along.

I mean, you didn't have to wait a whole years between 8 episode seasons of Cheers, did you? No, you got 22 episodes shown over six-nine months with a month or two off here or there for reruns/Christmas/big sporting events, and then the summer replayed the season and then fall premiere in September.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
you didn't have to wait a whole years between 8 episode seasons of Cheers
Cheers cost about 2 million per episode and Foundation's costs are somewhat larger. Foundation was Ireland's largest movie production and the tax breaks there are well known for such productions. Film locations were insane and varied while Cheers was shot at Paramount Studios.
I hate the wait also but I understand and the wait is killing me:eek:

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden

We do forget all about it, and move on with our lives, with new entertainments in our spare time.

Then maybe it pops ups as a surprise later on our timeline that wow now there are a new season of this or that. Or we had more important things to do that when we next check, 3 seasons are out. Another solution is also to pick up an older serie that have like ~10 seasons out already to watch, if it bothers you with ongoing series.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
We do forget all about it, and move on with our lives, with new entertainments in our spare time.

Then maybe it pops ups as a surprise later on our timeline that wow now there are a new season of this or that. Or we had more important things to do that when we next check, 3 seasons are out. Another solution is also to pick up an older serie that have like ~10 seasons out already to watch, if it bothers you with ongoing series.
That is the fundamental difference between network/broadcast TV and the streaming services. They all payed a large sum of money for expansive back catalogs of content. If they were churning out full 18-22 episode seasons of your 3-4 favorite shows every year, you'd never be tempted to touch the older stuff.

I am all for shorter seasons when it equates to better quality by not having to squeeze or pad a story to the usual 42 minute TV time slot.

Let's also not forget that Covid royally messed up production schedules for TV and Film. Shows have to wait for Cast/Crew to finish other projects that got delayed before coming back. Good below the line production staff is a limited resource and those people need to have their next 2 gigs booked while finishing their current to maintain a livelihood.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Lest we forget, television used to run 22 episodes per season prior to 2003... since then they have been on a 13 episode cycle... and that is often split in half because they take a break for holidays and whatnot during that cycle. Considering the production quality of streaming versus network TV, 8 episodes per season seems par for the course.

Another thing to remember is that streaming often drops multiple episodes at the start of the season. Imagine if say Cheers did that back in the day... and for the next 3 weeks you had nothing new to watch? Binging works when you have multiple seasons of backlog to watch... it doesn't work on first run content. Problem is, people forget that those 12 seasons of Frasier that they binged over the course of a month took 12 years to produce.

Think of streaming more akin to the movie industry... their production cycle doesn't allow them to churn out a new movie every year. Take Pixar for example, they have multiple projects in work at the same time in order for you to get a new Pixar Animation each year (or twice a year). In reality, those productions take multiple years to complete. Toy Story took 4 years of production alone.

They're actually doing a lot of this stuff at a record pace...

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
It would be nice to see season 2 of Asimov’s Foundation. Or even season 1. Unfortunately, Apple squandered all the money on Goyer’s Basement. Instead of a brilliant classic, we got more mindless drivel from a hack writer.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
It would be nice to see season 2 of Asimov’s Foundation. Or even season 1. Unfortunately, Apple squandered all the money on Goyer’s Basement. Instead of a brilliant classic, we got more mindless drivel from a hack writer.
While I loved the foundation back in the day, it was very much tailored for the written word and would have to be rewritten to work in cinema. The story and characters are very much of a time 60-70 years ago and would also not be believable to a modern audience. I am enjoying this retelling of the story in a new medium with a modern viewpoint and look forward to where they go with this.

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
While I loved the foundation back in the day, it was very much tailored for the written word and would have to be rewritten to work in cinema. The story and characters are very much of a time 60-70 years ago and would also not be believable to a modern audience. I am enjoying this retelling of the story in a new medium with a modern viewpoint and look forward to where they go with this.

Guess what? You are “of a time”, too. Even if you assume your time is superior to all others. I wonder how well Goyer’s so-called “modern viewpoint” will hold up 60 or 70 years from now. Or even 6 or 7. Probably about as well as his “modern” take on Superman, Batman, or Justice League, I suspect.

Science fiction is supposed to look beyond this year’s fads and fashions.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Guess what? You are “of a time”, too. Even if you assume your time is superior to all others. I wonder how well Goyer’s so-called “modern viewpoint” will hold up 60 or 70 years from now. Or even 6 or 7. Probably about as well as his “modern” take on Superman, Batman, or Justice League, I suspect.

Science fiction is supposed to look beyond this year’s fads and fashions.
I’m not assuming my time is superior, just more suited to this audience. I’m sure that in 60-70 years both will seem a bit quaint and hard to understand. With luck the people then will explore the story in some new ways that speak to where they will be then. This is a work of fiction, not a fossil, forever frozen in time.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Lest we forget, television used to run 22 episodes per season prior to 2003... since then they have been on a 13 episode cycle... and that is often split in half because they take a break for holidays and whatnot during that cycle. Considering the production quality of streaming versus network TV, 8 episodes per season seems par for the course.
Network television used to have a monopoly (or at least a stranglehold) on content. You had the Big3 plus Fox. Then some cable channels pumping out drivel. A few top notch syndicated shows too.

I think the writer's strike had a big part of the "small season" trend. Plus HBO as well. Back in the 22-26 episode days, there was a lot of filler episodes that didn't drive the season forward. Bottle epsiodes were common to flesh out characters and motivations, but didn't drive the plot.

Then 13 episode, "prestige" series like The Sopranos gained acclaim and the bottle episodes were dramatically few. Now, with 8 episode seasons, there's no room for filler and all episodes serve to drive the plot forward.

Personally, I think 13 is the right amount, especially if it's an ensemble cast with lots of characters and side plotlines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.