Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I watched the first episode. Meh. No point to the time jumping around. Alexander Siddig as the prosecutor was wasted.

Still not something that will get me to subscribe to Apple TV.

Reactions: robotica and VaruLV

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I haven't read the books, and after the first half hour I started to enjoy the series. I am worried that the deeper I get into it the more confused I will be, like what happened after the end of the second episode. If I get too confused I may drop the series. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Never read the books so I am watching this “blind”

without spoiling anything, can someone who knows the novels give me cliff notes?

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
No, it was deliberate. "Their" in this case being a possessive linking Americans' "confusing England with Britain" with Americans' "confusing Ireland with Britain". Should have used more words to make it clearer.
shouldn't it be "Their confusion with England and Britain" then?
(I'm not a native speaker, so I'm honestly curious and just trying to understand and learn)

Reactions: drsox

Smartwatchlover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2017
Rome
Don’t get me wrong: overall the show is pretty enjoyable and some sceneries/locations are really great.

What I miss here is a decent level of adherence to the books: there are parts which are completely out of the original story, like the one related to the death of Hari Seldon, or the mass execution ordered by Cleon in response of the terror attack on Trantor.

Hari Seldon never left Trantor after revealing the plan to create the Foundation on Terminus and of course was never killed but died for natural reasons.

Cleon was never “cloned” and to be honest played a marginal role in the whole story.

So, long story short: nice to watch but only loosely based on the Asimov’s books. That’s it.

Last note: I really hope in future they will show the story of the young Seldon, including his amazing wife Dors Venabili, by far my preferred female character in the whole story.

Reactions: VaruLV and drsox

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
shouldn't it be "Their confusion with England and Britain" then?
(I'm not a native speaker, so I'm honestly curious and just trying to understand and learn)

Yes. I wasn't using enough words. To a native speaker it might (or not) have been clear. It was me trying to write what I would have said instead of writing the correct grammar.

Reactions: Diskutant

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Never read the books so I am watching this “blind”

without spoiling anything, can someone who knows the novels give me cliff notes?

What are they ? Annotated comments to explain as the plot develops ? Not sure there is a "Foundation" reader but if you want to read through the Wikipedia entries for the seven Foundation novels then you will get a sense of the whole series. As it seems to be turning out you won't get too many spoilers as the TV series is adding it's own flesh onto Asimov's bones of the story (at least for the first book). e.g. I wasn't expecting Seldon to be murdered by his own adopted son.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
That’s an interesting point. Perhaps it would have lend itself better to a documentary-style adaptation.
Frankly, I think it lends itself better to, you know, a novel. The problem with trying to turn "hard SF" into TV or movies is that the content is more suited to an art-house audience, while the setting demands a blockbuster action movie budget... which means they end up dumbing down all the exposition and detail that make a hard SF book.

You can do a low-budget SF movie that just features characters having discussions (which is more or less what the first book of Foundation is) - The Man From Earth is about the only example I can think of, but honestly the dialogue and characterisation in that was way better than Asimov could write... and it is unlikely to be a huge commercial success.

As I've said before - if someone wanted to make an Asimov movie/TV show, the Elijah Bailey books would be far better materials because (a) IMHO they're just better stories than Foundation and (b) they're basically by-the-book murder mysteries, and Hollywood's grandma handed down the recipe for those. Think Inspector Morse or Colombo... in spaace!

Last note: I really hope in future they will show the story of the young Seldon, including his amazing wife Dors Venabili, by far my preferred female character in the whole story.

...which opens the whole can of worms of whether Asimov himself did right in retconning the original Foundation trilogy the way the prequels and sequels did. I think it rather undermines the whole thrust of Foundation to have the whole story be a failed scheme by 20,000 year old telepathic robot that only makes any sense because they had to try and work within the three laws. (don't reveal unless you've read the prequel/sequel books).

Reactions: jimbobb24

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos

Agree. Lots of good material in the first two books. Also there is a chapter by chapter plot to follow that should make for an easier TV adaptation.

Reactions: Smartwatchlover

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
...which opens the whole can of worms of whether Asimov himself did right in retconning the original Foundation trilogy the way the prequels and sequels did. I think it rather undermines the whole thrust of Foundation to have the whole story be a failed scheme by 20,000 year old telepathic robot that only makes any sense because they had to try and work within the three laws. (don't reveal unless you've read the prequel/sequel books).

IMO the last two books are pretty much a waste of time. The first two are really worth it.

Reactions: jimbobb24

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
Frankly, I think it lends itself better to, you know, a novel. The problem with trying to turn "hard SF" into TV or movies is that the content is more suited to an art-house audience, while the setting demands a blockbuster action movie budget... which means they end up dumbing down all the exposition and detail that make a hard SF book.

I take your point, but think you may have missed mine. Modern (pseudo-) documentaries use VO narration with compelling visuals to move a story along. I believe that could have worked better for the Foundation saga, although it would have reduced its ability to compete with GoT/MCU.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
As I've said before - if someone wanted to make an Asimov movie/TV show, the Elijah Bailey books would be far better materials because (a) IMHO they're just better stories than Foundation and (b) they're basically by-the-book murder mysteries, and Hollywood's grandma handed down the recipe for those. Think Inspector Morse or Colombo... in spaace!

Agreed. Although I'm not so sure those stories would survive Hollywood's "art-by-committee" approach, much less the diversity and inclusion police.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I take your point, but think you may have missed mine. Modern (pseudo-) documentaries use VO narration with compelling visuals to move a story along. I believe that could have worked better for the Foundation saga, although it would have reduced its ability to compete with GoT/MCU.
MCU ?

dwreck

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2006
Well, that was definitely not the Asimov story. It didn‘t completely suck, so I suppose I’ll watch the rest of the series, but ATV+ is still left looking for a reason to exist. This definitely isn’t going to be the big anchor hit that they need.
Apple’s best option for ATV+ remains to just make it a streaming service for the iTunes movie library.
Ted Lasso seems to be doing a fine job being the anchor hit they need

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
You can do a low-budget SF movie that just features characters having discussions (which is more or less what the first book of Foundation is) - The Man From Earth is about the only example I can think of, but honestly the dialogue and characterisation in that was way better than Asimov could write... and it is unlikely to be a huge commercial success.

That was a fantastic film.

Reactions: VaruLV and drsox

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
This show is….kind of super boring. Exposition non stop. The behavior of the emperor undermines the whole premise. If he can have his orders instantly carried out why would bureaucratic inertia destroy the emperor. He could possibly turn things around (as several absolute monarchs have done).

The clone emperor is a world breaking innovation to help the passing of time be acceptable but it causes so many issues.

It’s pretty but it’s not good. But that’s in part because the early books are super boring as well.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
This show is….kind of super boring. Exposition non stop. The behavior of the emperor undermines the whole premise. If he can have his orders instantly carried out why would bureaucratic inertia destroy the emperor. He could possibly turn things around (as several absolute monarchs have done).

The clone emperor is a world breaking innovation to help the passing of time be acceptable but it causes so many issues.

It’s pretty but it’s not good. But that’s in part because the early books are super boring as well.

Your premise didn't save the Roman Empire.

Last edited:

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
Ted Lasso seems to be doing a fine job being the anchor hit they need

There are a lot more sportsball fans than SF fans. Nearly every man on the street can tell you the difference between American football and British football, but very few could tell you the difference between science fiction and sci-fi.

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
I always think that SF productions should be made in an unknown language with subtitles -

I find it amusing that Star Trek has the magic “universal translator” which can render any language into perfect, lip-synched English — except for Klingonese, which cannot be translated and always requires subtitles. That might be why the proposed “Klingon Empire” spin-off never made it out of development hell.

Reactions: drsox
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.