Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
Europe is attacking successful American companies for too long. The most ignorant argument here is that this is a win for consumers. It's only a win for YouTubers and Politicians by railing up common people against companies.
They got Apple to sell repair parts for home repair. Was is really a win for the average customer? It was just a waste of tax payer money and YouTube viewer time.
I know Tim Cook is smart enough to see through the politics of it. But is he willing to set aside personal political bias is the real question.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Just about every car made has the VIN on the body, a serial number for the engine and a serial mnumber for the transmission for tracking purposes. If you bring your car in for service with a failed transmission and the SN of the one the factory installed is not the one the car then the car company doesn't cover that because it's a 3rd party part.
Its' the same for Apple's products (and it's not just iPhone) where many of the internal components are serialized. Both to detect non-Apple authorized repairs, but also to track failures. When a large percentage of parts from a particular manufacturing run start to fail they can go investigate the the production process to isolate where/when/why the failures are happening.
You _can_ spin this into being something nefarious but it really isn't.
To think so is, then, also to believe that US printed currency has planned obsolescence because it all has serial numbers on it.
Dude there one snäll difrence that you should notice.

Put in a fake part or an OEM part and your car will work.

Disconnect Anny part in your phone and suddenly loose functions?! On what plannet can you justify disabling the part and have to call apple to get it foxoxed?!

Reactions: dk001

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
>Replacing a complicated piece of electronics in a complicated electronic device is not the same a replacing shocks on a 2021 Subaru.

Correct, but why not give the consumer the choice and ability to if they so wish? In my case, I wouldn't microsolder a new NAND IC chip for my iPhone when it fails, I'd have a knowledgeable technician do it, but I would love to have the option to learn and do it myself
You have the option to learn how to micro solder anytime.
Perhaps it is not the best idea to learn it on a $1k iPhone, but that’s up to you. Apple provides parts and also the devices it deems necessary to do a repair.
But let’s be honest, most of Apple’s customers are simply not able to do any kind of repair on their phone at all. So this discussion and argument is pretty much moot, as is the complaint by the french guys claiming to speak for customers.

cyanite

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2015

Cancelled
May 21, 2014
The EU has had their guns drawn at Apple for too long! Protectionism & nationalism disguised as consumer advocacy. All American companies take note!

Yeah, take not that Europe won't be F'ed with when your cooperate greed gets out of hand. European citizens have the upper hand over their American counterparts regarding rights. That is true freedom, baby! 🇪🇺

koil

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2019
So you are ok with your phones being stolen and shipped to China to be parted out?
The value of such parts is artificially inflated because Apples sanctioned replacement parts are expensive. Open up that market and prices will plummet to the point that the organisation required does not warrant the risk and gain from such operations.

Reactions: Sophisticatednut

Matsamoto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
Planned obsolescence?
In my own opinion I have never had any other devices from any other company that last as long as Apple's.
Neither does my wife and my friend’s devices.

There are certainly bugs and issues with the software (iOS 16, I’m looking at you🙂), but hardware Apple is on an another level.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I'm not happy about the serial number requirement, but this part is crazy. Apple has been criticized for years for not giving customers the ability to repair their own phones, but now they're being criticized for giving customers the tools they need to repair them? They can't win.
Yes they can. It just doesn't suit their business model.
If car companies can make parts, tools and software available to allow Joe Public to 'repair' their own machine that can potentially put lives at risk Apple can do this.

Martin81

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
Germany
Apple does not penalize the third party repair facility if the facility uses authorized parts. If the facility is using unauthorized parts the facility needs to be shut down.
Not sure about that.

In 2017 I had to replace the battery in my 3.5 year old iPhone 5S.
I went to one of Germany's biggest retailers (MediaMarkt/Saturn) and they replaced the old battery with a third party battery. Price 39€ (incl. VAT) and 2 years of warranty.
Now they are only offering original Apple parts. Price today for a similar sized battery: 79€ (incl. VAT, the same as Apple) and just 1 year warranty.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Planned obsolescence?
In my own opinion I have never had any other devices from any other company that last as long as Apple's.
Neither does my wife and my friend’s devices.

There are certainly bugs and issues with the software (iOS 16, I’m looking at you🙂), but hardware Apple is on an another level.
Planed obsolescence doesn't mena the thing breaks early. But when it does break you are pushed to purchase a new device instead of fixing it.

Like with macbook. A single chip breaks on the motherboard making. The chip costs 2$ but because apple doesn't allow other to purchase it. We end up paying 50% of the computers value as they force you to replace the entire topp case for no good reason

Reactions: Matsamoto and dk001

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
"Okay, guys! I, an uneducated common person with no technical expertise will now somehow understand the highly complex functioning of SoC custom motherboards."

I get this makes it a dirty business practice with Authorized Apple Service, but how is Joe or Sally Blow down the street somehow going to understand how to solder? I barely got my dad to learn MS Teams with a step by step video, how does the common consumer being allowed to repair their Mac or Phone somehow lessen the highly complex nature of the device?

The target audience for iFixIt is not my dad. My dad is Apple's target demographic. iFixIt is for technical nerds and geeks, not 345 N Market St, Middle America, NE
Point taken, but when you look at iFixit's guides and parts, a lot of it is directed towards beginners. My complaint back in the day was more along the lines of them selling LCD assemblies vs. LCD cells, not having enough info on soldering repairs, etc. It's very beginner-centric - you won't find guides on reballing CD3217s on ifixit.

And honestly, even if the average person won't do these repairs themselves, allowing them the option to choose who does it for them is what this is about.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
I'm not happy about the serial number requirement, but this part is crazy. Apple has been criticized for years for not giving customers the ability to repair their own phones, but now they're being criticized for giving customers the tools they need to repair them? They can't win.
I 100% agree with you that this is a petty complaint. I chewed out the verge over this last year as well.

Outlets complaining about the size of the tools available or the complexity of the tools Apple provides are taking their eye off the ball. The issue with these programs are the many parts & tools they do not provide, particularly software tools which weigh nothing. Focusing on the size of the tools is asinine, IMO, and I would understand why anyone who is a fan of Apple as a company would think less of anyone involved in right to repair after reading such shallow complaints that completely misunderstand the problem.

I don't blame you for this perception, and while I am a strong proponent of right to repair, I sighed when I read this complaint from HOP for it mentioning such minutia.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Hey, France, and Europe in general. You want a phone like that, why don’t you make phones? You think Apple and Samsung are all there is? Make yours with freely available parts, with very little security. Get ready for the massive theft of your phones and the software that runs them.

robbietop

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A
Point taken, but when you look at iFixit's guides and parts, a lot of it is directed towards beginners. My complaint back in the day was more along the lines of them selling LCD assemblies vs. LCD cells, not having enough info on soldering repairs, etc. It's very beginner-centric - you won't find guides on reballing CD3217s on ifixit.

And honestly, even if the average person won't do these repairs themselves, allowing them the option to choose who does it for them is what this is about.
Dude, I replaced a battery on an iPhone XS Max for a buddy a few years back and about had an aneurysm. I built PCs as a younger buck back in the Win3.1-WinVista era. A smartphone MB, DB, or even PCB bears little resemblance to a 386, much less anything after that. I felt I needed more than just the five minute or so video to understand what cable went where and why. I still ask where the SouthBridge is, forgetting it was made redundant years ago.

And maybe you will know, but do A-Series SoCs have a NorthBridge? Or is that gone now, as well?

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Hey, France, and Europe in general. You want a phone like that, why don’t you make phones? You think Apple and Samsung are all there is? Make yours with freely available parts, with very little security. Get ready for the massive theft of your phones and the software that runs them.
Lol, if you want to sell things to us you have to follow our rules. Don't like then exit the market.

IPhones are the most valuable thing stolen for a reason.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The length of their support isn't the issue here, it's the manner in which that support is offered.
Hard-to-repair designs, hard-to-source parts, proprietary or hard-to-get tools, and costly, restrictive authorisation for 3rd party repair shops. Apple shouldn't need to ship out several kilograms of tools to change a phone battery, nor should users be stuck using Apple's weird outsourced repair program site just to get access to those tools and parts.
And modern cars should be a cinch to repair as well.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
"Okay, guys! I, an uneducated common person with no technical expertise will now somehow understand the highly complex functioning of SoC custom motherboards."

I get this makes it a dirty business practice with Authorized Apple Service, but how is Joe or Sally Blow down the street somehow going to understand how to solder? I barely got my dad to learn MS Teams with a step by step video, how does the common consumer being allowed to repair their Mac or Phone somehow lessen the highly complex nature of the device?
I have replaced displays, fans, and batteries on MBPs. Just unscrewing, and unplugging, no soldering required.
The target audience for iFixIt is not my dad. My dad is Apple's target demographic. iFixIt is for technical nerds and geeks, not 345 N Market St, Middle America, NE
Both types of people are Apple customers.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
The EU has had their guns drawn at Apple for too long! Protectionism & nationalism disguised as consumer advocacy. All American companies take note!
The weirdest loyalty ever is the loyalty some people show to laissez-faire capitalism and corporations. Corporations are sociopathic entities which reject the concept of loyalty. No loyalty to any society/nation; no loyalty to customers; no loyalty to employees.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I've changed lots of batteries up through models 2021 and don't remember Ford sending me a tool kit.
Or having to buy a unique toolset.

Could be wrong....
I wanted to change out the turbo, erm no. Replace the muffler, no. Find out the cause of a code, no. Reprogram the ecu, etc. all no, no, no. After 100 years of car production this stuff should be a piece of cake. On BMWs can’t even replace the battery.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The weirdest loyalty ever is the loyalty some people show to laissez-faire capitalism and corporations. Corporations are sociopathic entities which reject the concept of loyalty. No loyalty to any society/nation; no loyalty to customers; no loyalty to employees.
No weirder than routing for government to over regulate things or rioting when their favorite football team didn’t win.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I wanted to change out the turbo, erm no. Replace the muffler, no. Find out the cause of a code, no. Reprogram the ecu, etc. all no, no, no. After 100 years of car production this stuff should be a piece of cake. On BMWs can’t even replace the battery.

I've only done Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, and Honda. And Porsche 928 (in the back!). Never owned a BMW.

Still, I don't need a mfg toolkit to change a battery or similar items.
I understand that Apple makes things deliberately difficult. For repair guys too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.