Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfc

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2011
Thanks @cfc, I didn want to be unfair when posting in your thread yesterday…
It was a mistake, I apologise !
And I don’t think our 2 apps are in competition, I still use WOD.
It’s simply a different approach.
No worries: as you say WorkOutDoors can be overkill for some people due to it having so many features. As a result some users only use it when they need a particular feature that it offers, such as the map in your case.

I hope your app does well. The more good quality workout apps there are for the Apple Watch then the more it will be taken seriously by people as a "proper" sports watch (which it is!), and that is good for all of us.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Wow I have completely missed this post! This is SPOT ON what I miss from the Apple app - thanks a million for all your hard work. I'm not completely sure I have figured out what the "Race Day" feature is yet, but it's needed. I ran a half marathon this Sunday and was around 500 meters in front on my watch in the end :(

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
The "Race" feature is here to try to "calibrate" the run when you meet official kilometer or mile when running.
If you are in race mode you can double tap when your are at an exact distance (for exemple 3km or 5mi) and the app will apply a correction on the distance/speed on the advanced screen.
Many times, I have made races where my watch showed 10km 500m before the arrival.
It's a bit frustrating when the watch is too optimistic !

Reactions: xDKP

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
The "Race" feature is here to try to "calibrate" the run when you meet official kilometer or mile when running.
If you are in race mode you can double tap when your are at an exact distance (for exemple 3km or 5mi) and the app will apply a correction on the distance/speed on the advanced screen.
Many times, I have made races where my watch showed 10km 500m before the arrival.
It's a bit frustrating when the watch is too optimistic !
Tried the same this Sunday. 500 ahead at the half marathon.

just tried the app and first impressions were good, but with the build in app I can just enter Strava and sync it directly. Why aren’t my run with this app possible to sync the same way?

tomiwah

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
The app looks great! Have you considered adding the ability to track mileage for different shoes? It would be very helpful to be helpful for those of us who run in multiple shoes. Also, tracking cadence would be helpful.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
Tried the same this Sunday. 500 ahead at the half marathon.

just tried the app and first impressions were good, but with the build in app I can just enter Strava and sync it directly. Why aren’t my run with this app possible to sync the same way?
Unfortunately, Strava built in import feature is limited to Apple stock application.
You have to use another app like the excellent HealthFit or Rungap to export your workour from YouRace to another platform (many choices)
I plan to add a Strava export feature into YouRace

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
The app looks great! Have you considered adding the ability to track mileage for different shoes? It would be very helpful to be helpful for those of us who run in multiple shoes. Also, tracking cadence would be helpful.
For shoes, it’s in my todo list for a while !
Cadence is a good idea, but I have to allow more flexibility in screen layout setup

NickHF

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2021
Hi, I'm Nick from The Run Testers, I enjoyed using the app at London! I'd love to be able to choose to show lap pace rather than current pace, as I use lap pace to guide a lot of runs (for intervals, progression runs etc) when I use WorkOutDoors, but the correct distance feature is fantastic for racing :)

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
I am very happy of your feedback.
I think it's possible to mix the intervals mode with race mode. But I have to find a way to keep the UI/UX simple.
Apple doesn't allow us to have a lot of button interaction, and it's difficult to tap on screen while running.
I have to think about your idea, but my main driver is to keep the app easy to use while running... or maybe I have misunderstood ...
I always need to find the good balance between features and simplicity !
If you want more info about the app, I will be happy to answer you !

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
Hi, I'm Nick from The Run Testers, I enjoyed using the app at London! I'd love to be able to choose to show lap pace rather than current pace, as I use lap pace to guide a lot of runs (for intervals, progression runs etc) when I use WorkOutDoors, but the correct distance feature is fantastic for racing :)
By lap pace, you mean the average pace on the current km/mile ?

NickHF

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2021
Interesting! I don’t know anything about developing so no idea what is hard/easy. First one is the the key option for me really, I like using lap pace over current pace in general. But sure more people prefer current pace guess

Reactions: PatrickNSF

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
It’s nod difficult to calculate this kind of data but I have to find a logical way to display it, manage the race mode and the possibility to use manual laps.
Some people also use the rolling pace …

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Interesting! I don’t know anything about developing so no idea what is hard/easy. First one is the the key option for me really, I like using lap pace over current pace in general. But sure more people prefer current pace guess
I agree with Nick. I still use my Garmin often (and always for races) because I pace myself with Lap Pace. Ideally it’d be nice to have a choice of Current Pace, Lap Pace and Average Pace for the display.

firewire9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015
Just a reminder for future Series 7 owners, YouRace is ready to fully use the larger displays of new watches !
Running with your Apple Watch with "Always ON Display" and larger metrics is even more comfortable!

Looking forward to try this feature on the 15th!

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Looks great!!! How about allowing us to display the miles run (during the run) in large text on the screen, so we can glance at the watch while we're running and see exactly how far we've run at any given moment?

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
I am not sure ton understand, sorry for my poor English ...
When you use a Watch which supports AOD (series 5/6/7), you have exactly the same data when the screen is activated or in "dark mode". I have only limited the animations to preserve battery.
Or maybe you want another metric ?
Sorry for the questions ...?

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
I wanted to warn YouRace users.
With watchOS 8.1 RC, Apple has introduced a bug in SwiftUI.
When you click on the settings icon while running, the settings screen is instantly dismissed and unusable.
You can still use it before starting the run, but not while running.
I hope this issue will be fixed in 8.1 final version (today). For the moment, I have no valid workaround.

Reactions: Psdn

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
I have published on TestFlight a temporary fix for the watchOS 8.1 regression.
It will be available soon on App Store for every one

Reactions: Psdn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.