Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Every actually had a phone with a notification light? It's so convenient, I can hop out of the shower and glance at the phone while it's off, if the light is flashing I check it, if not then there's no need to even look at it. Since switching to the iPhone I find myself having to turn the screen on multiple times a day to see if I have any messages.

Yeah, having a proper notification LED is awesome! I haven't had one on a phone for years (since I last used a BlackBerry), but I miss it a little bit every time I have to pick my phone off the desk to check for notifications.

I expect that Apple will never include one on the front of the iPhone -- they seem philosophically opposed to it, for some reason -- but maybe someday they'll implement something like the Moto X's "Active Display" or WP's "Glance screen," which display missed notifications on the standby screen with (supposedly) minimal battery impact.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
I checked with my resources and was not shocked to learn that "Rogifan" is an alternate use of the term: "Apple sycophant".
If Apple ever comes to a suden stop i fear he/she will hurt their neck.

Yes, he is over the top. It's one thing to be a fan of a company, but when one gets buxxhurt over some criticism and uses some 'hand picked' product examples, dragging other manufactures into the discussion, it's getting tiresome. Especially when no one was talking about other manufactures and conveniently ignoring other product as examples, which would counter his argument.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
I have been living in the reality of the real world... in which there hasn't been a single credible leaked 5.5" iPhone part (only mockups) and tons of 4.7" iPhone parts leaked.

I don't know what you selectively consider credible, but 9to5mac and macrumors had an article on a purported leaked 5.5" iPhone 5 display. I've linked to it many times

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Looks like a vibration motor may be around 2x the power consumption of an LED. https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Robotics/310-101_datasheet.pdf Though there are probably some motors that consume less power than some LEDs, so your mileage may vary.

----------

Yes, thanks for the reference. Generally I think it's safe to assume, that when you have moving parts, the electricity consumption is increased, especially compared to something like a relatively power efficient LED.

On my phone, the LED is not blinking constantly after a notification but reacts to noises, it seems. So that sensing circuitry uses a bit of power, too, obviously, but I don't think it is an issue. Like I mentioned before, the battery life of my phone is great, IMHO (and I am really a heavy user. I managed to drain the battery of my iPhone and my Galaxy Note by 3 pm :confused:)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
My god, EVERY SINGLE TIME somebody is criticizing Apple, you come up with other manufacturers for a ridiculous defense. Nokia these, Samsung that, bla bla bla :rolleyes: In the postings you reply to, do you see other manufacturers mentioned? :rolleyes:

Yeah because I can't stand hypocrisy. Everyone drools over the design do the HTC One and yet it looks almost exactly the same as the one from last year. Smartphones are like laptops. The form factor isn't going to change much from year to year. And everyone should have known when Apple stuck Touch ID in the home button that the home button wasn't going away anytime soon. So why anyone is surprised by the top and bottom bezels on the new iPhone I'll never get. I certainly wouldn't give up Touch ID just so the bezels could shrink. My thumb fits perfectly on the home button. Much more convenient than Samsung's implementation.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
My guess is that these are fake, probably for an iPhone 6 clone.

The bezel proportions and curves don't match the panels we've seen in much higher resolution pictures, and the screw mounts don't fit with the purported back shells we've seen multiple times before.

I think it's much more easy to make a fake front screen part like this for a clone than the precisely milled aluminum back shell with injection moulded antennas. In case you didn't know the iPhone 6 clones shells are made of plastic (which at 6.1mm probably make them very fragile, don't sit on them!).

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Yeah because I can't stand hypocrisy. Everyone drools over the design do the HTC One and yet it looks almost exactly the same as the one from last year. Smartphones are like laptops. The form factor isn't going to change much from year to year. And everyone should have known when Apple stuck Touch ID in the home button that the home button wasn't going away anytime soon. So why anyone is surprised by the top and bottom bezels on the new iPhone I'll never get. I certainly wouldn't give up Touch ID just so the bezels could shrink. My thumb fits perfectly on the home button. Much more convenient than Samsung's implementation.

Again: who was talking about HTC? Or Nokia or Samsung in the other thread? Exactly! No one but you!

It is a thread about an Apple product on a Apple rumors related website. Why is it hypocrisy when one spells a criticism over Apple and not mentioning other manufactures? Other manufacturers have nothing to do with it.

I tell you, what is hypocrisy. Hypocrisy is, when you pick some examples, dragging in other manufacturers to support your argument, but then ignore other products on the same token, which would prove exactly the opposite. :rolleyes:

And about the bezels: yes, I agree to a certain point, that given Apple slow design evolvement over the last years, one could expect the bottom bezels to be relatively big, due to the Touch ID and its implementation. But the top bezels? They are too big. And for what sake? Just to have a symmetrical appearance? Really?

And talking about LEDs:

The top bezel of this leaked part or mockup has enough space to fit LEDs for lighting up a football stadium.

Peeps here are arguing about a higher battery consumption due to a LED notification light. My god, in what idiotic world are we living in, I have to wonder. Did it never occurred, that something like a notification light could be switched off in the settings menu, just like everything else, if that was a concern?

Last edited:

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Again: who was talking about HTC? Or Nokia or Samsung in the other thread? Exactly! No one but you!

It is a thread about an Apple product on a Apple rumors related website. Why is it hypocrisy when one spells a criticism over Apple and not mentioning other manufactures? Other manufacturers have nothing to do with it.

I tell you, what is hypocrisy. Hypocrisy is, when you pick some examples, dragging in other manufacturers to support your argument, but then ignore other products on the same token, which would prove exactly the opposite. :rolleyes:

And about the bezels: yes, I agree to a certain point, that given Apple slow design evolvement over the last years, one could expect the bottom bezels to be relatively big, due to the Touch ID and its implementation. But the top bezels? They are too big. And for what sake? Just to have a symmetrical appearance? Really?
If it were asymmetrical it would look awful. Luckily Apple has the best designers in the world, and they wouldn't dream of allowing that to happen.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
If it were asymmetrical it would look awful. Luckily Apple has the best designers in the world, and they wouldn't dream of allowing that to happen.

Ok, I have nothing more to say, then enjoy your upcoming best in the world designed 4.7 phone with bezels, which would be considered landing strips in Alaska :p

Bummer that your phone will be roughly the same size as others with a 5-5.2" screen and will probably has worse battery life - minus a LED notification light, which of course could be switched off in the settings menu. But you knew that, didn't you ;)

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Ok, I have nothing more to say, then enjoy your upcoming best in the world designed 4.7 phone with bezels, which would be considered landing strips in Alaska :p

Bummer that your phone will be roughly the same size as others with a 5-5.2" screen and will probably has worse battery life - minus a LED notification light, which of course could be switched off in the settings menu. But you knew that, didn't you ;)

It absolutely will be the best designed. By the way an LED notification can already be turned on in the settings, it's been there for years. I guess you didn't know that, did you?

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013

Better prepare to be disappoint son.

I am prepared to bet my left nut that these are the real deal.

Whether the light sensor is on the left or the top doesn't make munch difference. Was probably a design decision to save space.

Now, is your angus peppered for a September release? It's going to be BLOODY EPIC!!!!!!

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Better prepare to be disappoint son.

I am prepared to bet my left nut that these are the real deal.

Whether the light sensor is on the left or the top doesn't make munch difference. Was probably a design decision to save space.

Now, is your angus peppered for a September release? It's going to be BLOODY EPIC!!!!!!
I wasn't referring to that, I was quoting someone that said Apple should reduce the top bezel smaller than the bottom, which would look awful. I have no problem with the camera moving to the left of the earpiece.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010

And talking about LEDs:

The top bezel of this leaked part or mockup has enough space to fit LEDs for lighting up a football stadium.

Peeps here are arguing about a higher battery consumption due to a LED notification light. My god, in what idiotic world are we living in, I have to wonder. Did it never occurred, that something like a notification light could be switched off in the settings menu, just like everything else, if that was a concern?

Design evolvement?? What is there to evolve when you found the perfect design 4 years ago and almost every customer loves it?
Change for change's sake? No thanks.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
It absolutely will be the best designed. By the way an LED notification can already be turned on in the settings, it's been there for years. I guess you didn't know that, did you?

A, the best in the world designed, yet half baked, non colored, after thought solution. No wonder you didn't mentioned it on previous replies when you were arguing about battery life. You yourself didn't think it's the same functionality as the BB or several Android phones :p

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
Let's see - once the September event comes - who, of the people who were and are absolutely convinced the iPhone 6 5.5" would be a reality, has the humility and backbone to come back here, refer to this post and swallow their arrogant know-it-all attitude, and say "sorry, we were wrong, and sorry for being a pig headed know it all"

I'll put a VERY VERY large bet on no SINGLE person doing so.

Here's a direct link to this post, so you may refer back to this post, whilst I hand you a flanned to wipe the egg off your faces:

http://tinyurl.com/nowayiphone65point5inch

OR

http://tinyurl.com/5-5aintcomin

OR

http://tinyurl.com/eggonmyface

I would most definitely come back here and apologize. Not sure I've been pig headed about it. I've seen the deniers be pretty pig headed though too, so the door swings both ways.
Would the deniers come back and admit they were wrong?

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
A, the best in the world designed, yet half baked, non colored, after thought solution. No wonder you didn't mentioned it on previous replies when you were arguing about battery life. You yourself didn't think it's the same functionality as the BB or several Android phones :p

What the hell are you even talking about? Lol

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
I wasn't referring to that, I was quoting someone that said Apple should reduce the top bezel smaller than the bottom, which would look awful. I have no problem with the camera moving to the left of the earpiece.

Oh yes, I agree with you. That would look shiet.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Design evolvement?? What is there to evolve when you found the perfect design 4 years ago and almost every customer loves it?
Change for change's sake? No thanks.

You are easy to please. I for one would love to have a maximized screen size without wasted space on the top and bottom. I also would like a device with a reasonable thickness, so it has space for a battery, which last through the day even if you snap pictures and shot movies of your kids all day long in Disney Land ;)

----------

What the hell are you even talking about? Lol

I knew you have no clue :p

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
These are the leaked shots I've been waiting for... The photographer even has the long fingernails. These (seem) legit, but let's not foget the Android iPhone 6 clones floating around China.

If this is the 6, I'm personally still not happy that the left/right bezel is still the same thickess as current gen. Would have been nice if they had streamlined the front design a little more, as it appears to be really just an oversized iPhone 5s, but whatever. My 4 is on its last leg and I'm in need of a serious upgrade. ;)

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I wish they would offer one at 5". 4.7 is barely bigger than the 4. And 5.5 is too big for me. 5 would be perfect.

You're just saying that because now you don't believe the 5.5" is coming. When it surfaces it will be the perfect size for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.