Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
My iPhone X is not responding to button presses. Seems like a software issue on 11.2.1!

This happens randomly btw, can't provide steps to reproduce. Emergency SOS will just pop out and scare the hell out of me + FaceID will be disabled.

Reactions: potentmf

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Have you tried any troubleshooting? Perhaps using it without a screen protector and/or case? Alternatively contacting Apple about it?

Reactions: chabig

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Have you tried any troubleshooting? Perhaps using it without a screen protector and/or case? Alternatively contacting Apple about it?

Done all of it. It's not those things. Where do you find side button + tap to wake disabled at the same time anyway?

Anyway sent this video to Apple dev too. Just like to share if others are also experiencing the same problem.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Done all of it. It's not those things. Where do you find side button + tap to wake disabled at the same time anyway?

Anyway sent this video to Apple dev too. Just like to share if others are also experiencing the same problem.
Sounds like the device might be defective. Probably getting Apple to take a look at it and likely replace it would be the way to go.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Sounds like the device might be defective. Probably getting Apple to take a look at it and likely replace it would be the way to go.

problem would be it's not readily reproducible. I immediately grabbed my Pixel just to film that exact moment.

Apple replacement guidelines would need service advisers to confirm and reproduce the problem if not personally or via diagnostic menu.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
problem would be it's not readily reproducible. I immediately grabbed my Pixel just to film that exact moment.

Apple replacement guidelines would need service advisers to confirm and reproduce the problem if not personally or via diagnostic menu.
In enough cases they take someone's word for it as well. Perhaps the video might help too.

Reactions: rdy0329

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
If it’s not the case mashing on one or more of the buttons, then I’d try a wipe and re-setup the phone as new. Otherwise, get the phone replaced.
Out of 20 million phones, there’s bound to be a few defective units...

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
If it’s not the case mashing on one or more of the buttons, then I’d try a wipe and re-setup the phone as new. Otherwise, get the phone replaced.
Out of 20 million phones, there’s bound to be a few defective units...

I tried tapping the screen if you pay close attention. Even without quick succession the screen wouldn't turn on. I'll have a service center run diagnostics soon.

potentmf

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
ok, now I don't feel alone. The same thing happens to me during a call. I tap to hang the phone up, the display is blank. I don't know if it's the proximity sensor or what. I plan on taking it in to Apple, just hope I can duplicate the issue.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
have you try holding the volume up and down at the same time for about 10 secs? I only suggest that because my phone got locked up and that "supposedly" worked. It could've been just luck though.

Last edited:

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
My iPhone X is not responding to button presses. Seems like a software issue on 11.2.1!

This happens randomly btw, can't provide steps to reproduce. Emergency SOS will just pop out and scare the hell out of me + FaceID will be disabled.

While my issue isn't the same, ever since the last software update I feel the screen is less responsive especially when clicking links in safari. I need to press links multiple times on occasion, and this did not happen prior to 11.2. It's one of those things that makes you feel like you are going crazy since it doesn't always happen but its just something I notice.

ninjahaiku

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
I’ve had his happen 3 times over the last few days. Completely unresponsive no matter what buttons are pressed held down or tapped for the appropriate responses. Then after sitting for a minute or so will come out is it’s coma.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
I’ve had his happen 3 times over the last few days. Completely unresponsive no matter what buttons are pressed held down or tapped for the appropriate responses. Then after sitting for a minute or so will come out is it’s coma.

It feels comforting to see some of us share the same experience. My guess is that it's not as widespread as other problems.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
My X screen has been unresponsive since day one - especially on messages . I have to hard press 3-4 times to get the copy pop up in messages. I ditched a belkin screen protector- but that really didn't help. I've waited through several software updates- that didn't help . Anyone else having this problem, or do I have to go to the Apple store, wait 2 hours & beg for a replacement phone??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.