Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fessen

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2011
Some time after Snow Leopard, Apple dropped the solid-color labels option for tagging folders and replaced it with colored dots.
Have the old solid-color labels made a return with El Capitan?

Reactions: mizmarz
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
The reason Labels changed to the new format is to indicate that there is more than one group or user working on a file. It also works better for versioning and branching projects. The classic version was limited in that respect.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
why do people assume that, because they personally want a feature back, it will suddenly return? o_O

In some cases older features were better, hence the return of Exposé style Mission Control and the Windows 10 Start Menu. Labels made the right move allowing multiple colours.

File names are still too truncated in icon view though. If there is enough space between icons the amount of text showing in the file name should dynamically increase with the distance between files.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Why do people want this back anyway? I can understand that the brightly coloured labels help with distinguishing files quickly, but isn’t it a good idea to embrace the sidebar or use Spotlight? A quick “tag:blue” will filter out the correct tags in that folder.

fessen

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2011
Why do people want this back anyway? I can understand that the brightly coloured labels help with distinguishing files quickly, but isn’t it a good idea to embrace the sidebar or use Spotlight? A quick “tag:blue” will filter out the correct tags in that folder.
I'm not the only one who liked the solid-color labels. Just do a search and you'll find plenty of others who have missed them.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-assign-color-labels-to-files.1657997/
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5474093

I'd rather new OS features complement existing ones that I have found very useful rather than replace them outright.
Why not have solid-color labels along with tags & dots?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I'm not the only one who liked the solid-color labels. Just do a search and you'll find plenty of others who have missed them.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-assign-color-labels-to-files.1657997/
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5474093

I'd rather new OS features complement existing ones that I have found very useful rather than replace them outright.
Why not have solid-color labels along with tags & dots?

No point in arguing about the why, it is how it is. Apple doesn’t like adding options for everything and apparently they felt like this is the way to go.

There are always people who will lose out. What I am interested in is the reason for requesting it (now). The tags are functionally superior to the previous labels and they do complement the existing functionality. The only thing that’s different is the visual style. However, for that Apple added the smart folders in the sidebar and the search filters. Is that not sufficient?

jwaldron

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2014
Thank you Fessen. It's a reasonable question. I too miss the coloured folders because I used them in a specific way to make certain items conspicuous. I used TotalFinder to bring them back but that is now gone in El Capitan. I accept that they are not coming back but it's still annoying when you spend time setting up a system that makes the computer work for you and then it disappears.

Mac forums used to be different from Windows forums because posters of reasonable questions did not get slammed by hostile responses telling them they shouldn't be using the computer the way they do. This seems to have changed. Lighten up folks!

TheHurryKayne

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2015
No point in arguing about the why, it is how it is. Apple doesn’t like adding options for everything and apparently they felt like this is the way to go.

There are always people who will lose out. What I am interested in is the reason for requesting it (now). The tags are functionally superior to the previous labels and they do complement the existing functionality. The only thing that’s different is the visual style. However, for that Apple added the smart folders in the sidebar and the search filters. Is that not sufficient?
No,Its not.For example ,to distinguish a lot of receipts in their state,for example,receipts sent,receipts received,receipts paid,receipts returned,color bar tagging was far more superior than than tiny color dots.Running a
treasury administration with that dots is a real pain.Now i read that Xtra Finder and Total Finder are blocked by the new SIP,which is good in itself,but this function has been removed too thinking to the aesthetic instead of functionality ,not to mention it was ideal to find and recognize files in one sec at first sight and a great help for an "occasionally"unpaired one as me due to my lack of sight when meds for my operated heart start to work(ophthalmic migraine iatrogenic)

Last edited:

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Plenty of apps to bring back the legacy-style labels. XtraFinder is my personal favorite—but all the apps are running into the SIP problem, so I suspect all these apps will eventually just stop working due to lack of updates.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Plenty of apps to bring back the legacy-style labels. XtraFinder is my personal favorite—but all the apps are running into the SIP problem, so I suspect all these apps will eventually just stop working due to lack of updates.

you can disable SIP (easy), install an app, then reenable it...and the app will be there (works, for example, with bartender. and i did this to change my system icons with liteicon)...

TheHurryKayne

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2015
you can disable SIP (easy), install an app, then reenable it...and the app will be there (works, for example, with bartender. and i did this to change my system icons with liteicon)...
Can you describe it more?How to reenable it?Must be done one time or every time?( with XtraFinder for example)Thanks

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Can you describe it more?How to reenable it?Must be done one time or every time?( with XtraFinder for example)Thanks

you do it once (reboot into recovery, ie Command-R. open terminal. type: csrutil disable
hit return, then type: reboot

install xtrafinder (or whatever, ie change system icons with liteicon, etc). once that's done, and xtrafinder is working...
reboot once more into recovery, open terminal, type: csrutil enable
hit return, type: reboot

done. don't hesitate to google any of this to confirm the process. but this is what i've done...

fessen

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2011
One of the main reasons I upgraded to El Capitan was specifically for the enhanced security features. I don't want to have to start turning them off.

Fisherking is probably right. Here's what TotalFinder's developer has on their website:
At this point I want you to pause and ask yourself a question. Do you really depend on TotalFinder workflows so much that you want to possibly lower your system security? Frankly, I'm going to stop active TotalFinder development because it is not economically viable to continue development for a small group of users who decide to disable SIP. Also it is likely that in the next OS release after El Capitan TotalFinder won't work at all. It is increasingly more difficult to reverse-engineer Finder as new parts are being written in Swift. Also operating system security hardening will probaly continue in future. Those are good things, but you will have to let TotalFinder go at some point anyway. Maybe for you the day is today. Bite the bullet and move on.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Yes, I'm aware of disabling SIP. I've been doing it with XtraFinder for quite a while (Bartender was updated so you don't have to quite a while ago). My point is that many of these Finder-related apps are eventually going to stop working simply because the developer doesn't want the hassle of constantly working around Apple's changes to SIP. Particularly if the app in question is free (like XtraFinder).

fessen

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2011
(oops, I meant to address that last post to MacGizmo, not to fisherking)

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Clearly Apple is not interested in reverting this. Unfortunately Xtrafinder is not really being updated much anymore but sort of still works if you don't mind the SIP nag screen error which the Xtrafinder Dev can't be bothered to fix apparently.

LuisDiazArt

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2016
It was easier to find things when the folder name was in color instead of how it is. A dot is easily missed when browsing quickly. I don't mind the multiple tags, but I haven't found a use for them yet. Also I used to make my background inside folders dark grey and so "full-colored" labels for folders we useful for being able to see the names easier since you can't change the color inside folders (and the system in general I think).

So it's a little specific for me and the tags in El Capitan don't seem to work like I'm use to. The order of the colors aren't working very well. Depending on how you "arrange" them or if you don't the order should be controlled by the user, but something doesn't seem to work. Maybe it's clashing with tags from my previous OS in the files of my external. If you have decades worth of labeling and now it doesn't work it's pretty frustrating when you upgrade and things don't work as they should.

People have written about these issues in this thread over at apple discussions.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7273454?start=15&tstart=0

gwengo

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
I know this thread is a few months old now, but I agree with the OP. When quick reference is necessary the coloured bars as far superior than a little dot. Yes, you can put them into groups with tags, but this is what I use folders for. I'm a graphic designer and I have a work in progress folder, having a coloured bar for each folder shows (used to show) me exactly what stage a job is at, at a quick glance, tracing a name to a dot, is not an efficient workflow at all. Surely OS developers could at the very least give us the option to use our overpriced mac how we want to use them? There must be some sort of code that allows this action to be re-activated (though I'm quite obviously no developer)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.