Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fkt1

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
No point in arguing about the why, it is how it is. Apple doesn’t like adding options for everything and apparently they felt like this is the way to go.

There are always people who will lose out. What I am interested in is the reason for requesting it (now). The tags are functionally superior to the previous labels and they do complement the existing functionality. The only thing that’s different is the visual style. However, for that Apple added the smart folders in the sidebar and the search filters. Is that not sufficient?
[doublepost=1538688033][/doublepost]No it isn't! I use it a lot on my desktop and within folders to have an immediate view of certain items. The tags have a different functions. Apple used to be for people who wanted a certain visual facility and fluidity ... it's loosing it but yes, no points of crying about it. But don't assume because smthg is new that it's better!

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
There are several utilities that will bring back legacy-style color folders. Read this thread and you'll see what they are.

All I could find mentioned was TotalFinder (US$ 12) and XtraFinder (US$ 4.99). Oh, there was also some talk about PathFinder (US$ 36) but isn't that a complete replacement for the Finder?

I just want those colour labels back (which go all across horizontally instead of just the small dot). XtraFinder has worked well for me in the past, but I've just upgraded from 10.9.5 Mavericks to 10.11 El Capitan and despite the documentation saying that you are to disable SIP before installing, then enabling it again afterwards I get this error message whenever I turn on my Mac:
Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 10.24.41.png

Since I don't use any of the other enhancements in XtraFinder, are there other ways to get the old style labels back, and without messing with the SIP settings?
(I came across this page for Finder replacements, so I'm going to check that out, but it looks mostly to be more complete replacements, which I don't need, and will probably involve the SIP settings again).

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I see there are no replies, but I just wanted to add that I figured out the XtraFinder problem myself.
I don't know what did it, but I removed it, then re-installed it manually (there's instructions in the package), and now it works with SIP enabled. So I registered it (it's only US$ 4.99) ?

Reactions: TheHurryKayne

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Thanks for the tip.
Actually I believe I bought a license for it a few years back but never really got into understanding/using it. Maybe I should give it a second chance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.