Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I know this thread is a few months old now, but I agree with the OP. When quick reference is necessary the coloured bars as far superior than a little dot. Yes, you can put them into groups with tags, but this is what I use folders for. I'm a graphic designer and I have a work in progress folder, having a coloured bar for each folder shows (used to show) me exactly what stage a job is at, at a quick glance, tracing a name to a dot, is not an efficient workflow at all. Surely OS developers could at the very least give us the option to use our overpriced mac how we want to use them? There must be some sort of code that allows this action to be re-activated (though I'm quite obviously no developer)?

First, I don't see how a red dot is less visible than the red background. Its just smaller. But its as strong a visual cue as before. Second, how would a customisable system as you suggest accommodate for the fact that the filesystem allows multiple tags? Third, you can configure the tag column to be permanently visible in finder if you want to have more detailed information.

Finally, there are smart folders which for all intends and purposes seem as a superior tool for what you want to do.

Reactions: KALLT

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Surely OS developers could at the very least give us the option to use our overpriced mac how we want to use them? There must be some sort of code that allows this action to be re-activated (though I'm quite obviously no developer)?
There are several utilities that will bring back legacy-style color folders. Read this thread and you'll see what they are.

Tombliss

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2016
To those who think the dots are as visible as backgrounds, I can advise that to a dyslexic they are not: They are clutter.

If you don't use clouds or share your mac the 'improvements' are of no value, and if you rely on colour over text as your primary recognition method, they are plain bad.

Macgizmo suggests that there are solutions in this thread, but by my reading of it, these solutions all seem to be flawed or doomed.

I also need to replace the white writing which is again a big problem.

In Yorkshire we have a saying; 'If it aint broke don't fix it'. Apple need to learn why they succeeded and not do new for novelty' sake.

Does anyone know of a reliable solution.

I'm £2k down with a new macbook I can't use. Thanks

Last edited:

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
i don't know if it still works but having an old excel version ,i think 2008, when you went opening a file
its inner finder was showing up the old beloved colored labels we miss so much but i agree,i wasn't to be fixed,
now its

Tombliss

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2016
Maybe I should clarify that I don't mind the dots in list view, in fact they hark back to OS7 or whatever it was that used dots in list view, it's in icon view that they are a complete no-no. (The ludicrous truncation of labels on icons is another massive own goal, in my opinion). I'm guessing my solution may be to abandon labels altogether, but that would be a major loss to me; Like going back to the days when you could not colour the boxes in spreadsheets - which again was a big problem for dyslexics who can't line things through easily. Thanks.

Last edited:

LuisDiazArt

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2016
I'm not sure what they were thinking. I think there should be at least a choice under System Preferences or in the Folder Preferences window. I've seen so many hiccups in El Capitan it's not funny. My work flow has gotten slower since I've moved to a new computer from my old iMac running Snow Leopard. Steve Jobs you are missed.

Reactions: kennethbatelman

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
The fact is..in order to use the old color labels feature we can just use Parallels or Fusion ..to run the last Osx able to use them

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
The fact is..in order to use the old color labels feature we can just use Parallels or Fusion ..to run the last Osx able to use them

except neither virtualisation app has 3D acceleration for OS X :/

RJH_MUSIC

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Some time after Snow Leopard, Apple dropped the solid-color labels option for tagging folders and replaced it with colored dots.
Have the old solid-color labels made a return with El Capitan?

I do not know why people have to be so rude when replying to a simple question. I feel the same way you do Fessen. If there is one thing that really makes me made, its when a function of software that come to appreciated is removed with so called updates. The Music Software moguls do this all the time. Personally, this makes me mad, especially if you have paid for an update and you wind up getting less than you had. I thought the ability to colorize the label was a great feature and personally i think the little circle tag now is useless. But then again, i am still mad at apple for discontinuing the MACBook Pro 17" laptop. The answer was the cylinder shaped MAC Pro which in my opinion is a joke. It caused a lot of Musicians to drop Apple.

Stetsonman

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2017
Malta
Thank you Fessen. It's a reasonable question. I too miss the coloured folders because I used them in a specific way to make certain items conspicuous. I used TotalFinder to bring them back but that is now gone in El Capitan. I accept that they are not coming back but it's still annoying when you spend time setting up a system that makes the computer work for you and then it disappears.

Mac forums used to be different from Windows forums because posters of reasonable questions did not get slammed by hostile responses telling them they shouldn't be using the computer the way they do. This seems to have changed. Lighten up folks!

Indeed! One of the reasons I started using a Mac was because of its visual clarity and as mentioned above, being able to set up a system that works for you. It IS a reasonable question because it made a number of people's lives easier - tags work in particular ways but the solid colours helped lots of people with particular learning difficulties/disabilities to organise their files and work the way they wanted - I got diagnosed with ADHD and very high functioning ASD while doing my PhD and when I went to the assistive technology department of the Uni, the coloured labels was one of the essential features that I had already been using without knowing, as a coping mechanism (since I am colour sensitive and my brain organises things in that way). I have tried el Capitan on my wife's computer and I can't work on it and I had to stay on Yosemite so I could still use XtraFinder, which doesn't work on El Capitan!

So, yes, people ask "why now" - because before we could find other apps that helped us retain the workflow we had before - now, the new OS does not. That's why now we're asking. Don't you think that we don't want to upgrade to more secure systems? Apple should consider adding the feature as an "accessibility" feature if they do not want to bring it back into the mainstream as an integral part of an OS.

So... I can get Xtrafinder to work on ElCapitan by temporarily disabling the SIP? I did not try it because I thought that I would have to keep the SIP disabled all the time. But would XtraFinder work all the time after the first instal or when I log out or restart my computer I would have to do something else? Can somebody please clarify? Thanks.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
So, yes, people ask "why now" - because before we could find other apps that helped us retain the workflow we had before - now, the new OS does not. That's why now we're asking. Don't you think that we don't want to upgrade to more secure systems? Apple should consider adding the feature as an "accessibility" feature if they do not want to bring it back into the mainstream as an integral part of an OS.

Well, the issue is that Apple went from a more specific solution to a more general one: their old implementation allowed only one color per item, while their current implementation allows multiple tags per item (which can be mapped to colours). And making the new system work like the old one is not trivial if you want to be systematic. You'd need some sort of priority system that chooses which tag is more important than the other one. This would be a total mess. Another solution is to abandon the tags altogether and go back to the more primitive colouring — which is hardly satisfying. To allow folder coloring that is separate from the tag system is also not a good solution — how would these system interact?

What you are really asking for is a custom application that would implement certain features that Apple does not offer in Finder. Apple's file system allows addition of custom attributes and a third-party color manager could easily add custom colours to it. If nobody is writing such an app, its probably because there is not that much interest in it after all.

P.S. What applications like Xtrafinder do is hacking a stock app and injecting third-party code. Such apps have been the major source of incompatibilities and instability in OS X/macOS over its existence. Instead of hacking Apple apps, developers of such tools should just write their own standalone software — it's not that much of a task with the modern macOS API.

Stetsonman

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2017
Malta
... You'd need some sort of priority system that chooses which tag is more important than the other one. This would be a total mess."

Thanks for your reply Leman. What I get with ExtaFinder at the moment (using Yosemite) is that the first tag that I choose will be the one that gives the colour to the folder. So it is up to me to choose the one that is more important for me - it is not the system that does it. So it isn't a total mess, as you may be making it out to be.

The tag system is not bad, mind you - i use multiple tags for my folders, but the more important one will be the one that gets the colour I want the folder to be in. And it runs through the whole "line" for that folder. So when I look at the content files within a folder, I can see at a glance which folders or files belong to what tag I had assigned to them while still retaining the folder tree by, say, "date modified" - but I still can see the other files and folders - which I might need to access on the fly along with other files with different tags. If I had to choose one colour or tag from the side-bar, then I don't see the other files, which then becomes a "mess" for me.

I do agree that it is not a good thing that certain applications are hacking a stock app and injecting third-party code, which can make the OS unstable (and I have noticed that Finder hangs up at times etc.) - and I do think that it is a concern.

I don't know whether as you say, there might not be that much interest in it - but what I can say for sure is that I have talked to many higher education students with LDs (Learning Difficulties / Disabilities) during conferences for example, and many have mentioned how useful the 'large, very visible' colour coding of folders and files can be for them. This is why I made the suggestion that such an app or solution can be part of the Accessibility preferences, as part of the Mac OS itself.

Another thing that i have found really useful, for example (again being a person with a particular LD which makes me organise things more visually) is the possibility of choosing my own custom icon for folders, especially on the Desktop. Before there used to be entire icon sets based on movies, themes and what not - I have actually created my own icons for particular folders, and together with the colour coding, I can immediately go to that folder at a glance, rather than searching for it by reading what each folder is called.

I know that these may be specific solutions for specific people, but I think that Apple (and Windows etc) should be mindful of the specific needs of its users. Maybe the mainstream user might not need such visual aids, but Apple has been on the forefront of accessibility tools, and I believe that this should be one of them.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
So... I can get Xtrafinder to work on ElCapitan by temporarily disabling the SIP? I did not try it because I thought that I would have to keep the SIP disabled all the time. But would XtraFinder work all the time after the first instal or when I log out or restart my computer I would have to do something else? Can somebody please clarify? Thanks.
You don't have to disable SIP entirely—only the part that disallows code injection. Simple process... read the instructions here.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Why does your answer have to have a sharp edge to it, when a nicer answer could have done?
You realize you replied to a post from just over two years ago, right? That guy hasn't posted here for 6 months, he probably doesn't visit here anymore.

mizmarz

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2017
Why do people want this back anyway? I can understand that the brightly coloured labels help with distinguishing files quickly, but isn’t it a good idea to embrace the sidebar or use Spotlight? A quick “tag:blue” will filter out the correct tags in that folder.

That requires extra steps, which slows the work flow. It also throws everything into the 'tag folder', so it makes it harder to find the labeled files or folders on just one drive, for example. Bad 'redesign'. WHY take away functionality (even if not everyone uses it, there were plenty of us that did). WHY make us us third party software to do something that MAC OS was doing just fine!? Sidebar doesn't have the same functionality. And Spotlight doesn't even have the colored tags- you need to click back through to "Show all in Finder" to get back to the same lame dot tags. Waste of time and keystrokes and mouse moves.

Agreed: please send your feedback to Apple here- why can't you bring back full field file and folder labels!?!?!:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

MacJonas

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2017
Some time after Snow Leopard, Apple dropped the solid-color labels option for tagging folders and replaced it with colored dots.
Have the old solid-color labels made a return with El Capitan?

OK, here is one approach to customize your folders. Let us know if you manage to automate it in any fashion.
1. Select something that you want to appear as your folder icon, be it just plain color or some structure or text.
2. Copy!
3. Hit cmd I and click on the icon in the top left corner.
4. Paste!
I use this to highlight folders of importance. Changing the color, adding text or adding a small picture, makes a big difference in terms of navigability.

kennethbatelman

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2017
Indeed! One of the reasons I started using a Mac was because of its visual clarity and as mentioned above, being able to set up a system that works for you. It IS a reasonable question because it made a number of people's lives easier - tags work in particular ways but the solid colours helped lots of people with particular learning difficulties/disabilities to organise their files and work the way they wanted - I got diagnosed with ADHD and very high functioning ASD while doing my PhD and when I went to the assistive technology department of the Uni, the coloured labels was one of the essential features that I had already been using without knowing, as a coping mechanism (since I am colour sensitive and my brain organises things in that way). I have tried el Capitan on my wife's computer and I can't work on it and I had to stay on Yosemite so I could still use XtraFinder, which doesn't work on El Capitan!

I use TotalFinder to bring back the colored labels and it works great with all the Mac OS. Running it on Sierra now. I would be lost without the colored labels.

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2005
CA
I use TotalFinder to bring back the colored labels and it works great with all the Mac OS. Running it on Sierra now. I would be lost without the colored labels.

And are you able to use the whole color spectrum with TotalFinder? Because if you are not, I can do the same thing with what I use now, which XtraFinder.

UPDATE: I installed TotalFinder and it isn't anymore different from "XtraFinder," that I use now, except that the colors are somewhat brighter. I was hoping that it had a wider color spectrum, rather than limited 7 colors it has now.

Last edited:

kennethbatelman

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2017
And are you able to use the whole color spectrum with TotalFinder? Because if you are not, I can do the same thing with what I use now, which XtraFinder.

UPDATE: I installed TotalFinder and it isn't anymore different from "XtraFinder," that I use now, except that the colors are somewhat brighter. I was hoping that it had a wider color spectrum, rather than limited 7 colors it has now.

It's limited, but better than nothing.

ancientscream

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
The reason Labels changed to the new format is to indicate that there is more than one group or user working on a file. It also works better for versioning and branching projects. The classic version was limited in that respect.

Its subjective which you prefer, the new labels are rubbish from a visibility perspective imo , or those whom bright colour coding is very important, Apple seem to hate colour coding these days. The real truth is there is no need to force your personal subjective preferences on users with subjective reasoning, give them the options to choose what they want in a fair choice market? sounds good enough to me, which was once Apples ethos, no longer it seems, they badger limit and bully the user, whilst changing things for the sake of it, because they employ UX designers full time, who need to assert their ego and justify their pay, by changing stuff unnecessarily, Apple is criminal at throwing the learnt knowledge of the user-base away allot the time in favour of endlessly new paradigms, that are not necessarily any better than the last lot and often worse, the new disk utility is rubbish in UX and functionality for example.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Its subjective which you prefer, the new labels are rubbish from a visibility perspective imo , or those whom bright colour coding is very important, Apple seem to hate colour coding these days. The real truth is there is no need to force your personal subjective preferences on users with subjective reasoning

There's no subjectivity. Apple decided to allow users to apply multiple color labels to a file because users requested it. It helps with versioning and forking issues in several workflow types. If you wanted to debate that you're several years late :p

Stetsonman

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2017
Malta
First, I don't see how a red dot is less visible than the red background. Its just smaller. But its as strong a visual cue as before. Second, how would a customisable system as you suggest accommodate for the fact that the filesystem allows multiple tags? Third, you can configure the tag column to be permanently visible in finder if you want to have more detailed information.

Finally, there are smart folders which for all intends and purposes seem as a superior tool for what you want to do.

OK... I do get the point (a few points mentioned in the thread actually, like an app injecting code and all that), but let me make a point that I might have already made in some earlier comment - YES, there are smart folders and all that, and well, for some people a red dot is not as strong a visual cue as the whole folder line being red! My point is a matter of accessibility - what Mac used to do was to cater for a particular clientele, mostly professionals in the visual arts, who have particular needs... now it is catering to the masses. Fine.... but lets take PEOPLE WITH LEARNING DISABILITIES where visual cues are crucial - I need to have various files in the same folder that have different colours because the tags are not there to tell me that they pertain to the same group, but to tell me, for example, that the file still needs editing, while the file underneath it needs something else, but both files pertain to that particular folder and need to be underneath each other. It is totally useless for me to do a search of all the files with the red tag or whatever... What the colours are doing is helping me organise my folders and what is in them to "sync" with my atypical brain and the way it organises things. The coloured tags, very visible and easily identifiable do just that.

So it is not about who's right or wrong or what alternatives there are INSTEAD of the colour tag system... it is the FUNCTION, or rather the PERSONALISED FUNCTIONALITY that I could do with the whole file or folder line having a particular colour. And yes, the first colour is important, but having other colours underneath is as useful... one example - once I have dealt with what that first colour is telling me and I take that colour out, the next one in line comes up, which gives me a visual cue of what else I need to do with that file. So, it may be useful to have two tagging systems - one which shows dots, so it is showing me all the colours one after the other, and the one that needs my attention as soon as I open the folder.

The above is just an example. Other people will use the colour tags in different ways, depending on their needs and accessibility issues.

Finally, for me, the desktop folders are of primary importance, and they need to be colour coded very strongly - a dot doesn't do it for me. I need the highlight or I could very easily miss seeing a particular folder completely.

So what APPLE needs to do, is to see how these things are being used, by whom and why (and not just what the programmers came up with, or the focus groups or whatever...) there needs to be a constant knowledge exchange with users, who need to voice how they use the products. Otherwise, having 10 people complaining about this or that won't get APPLE to spend the time and money to put something back or improve on what they currently have.

S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.