Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sevanw

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
So I bought a Gear S3 frontier last week, and only recently decided to look for some watchfaces and bands. Bought a 6 pack of silicone bands as I'm very active. So far my favorite colors for the silicone bands are Black, Red, Yellow and White. When you color code the faces to the band, it looks so nice. I'll pick up a metal and leather band next for a more business/classic look. As for my watchfaces, here's a sample of what you can get for free from watchland and they are premium quality. This watch in my opinion is easily the nicest looking smartwatch. Nothing but compliments from bystanders who noticed me using my watch waiting in line at various places.
WF1.JPG
WF2.JPG
WF3.JPG
WF4.JPG
WF5.JPG
WF6.JPG
WF7.JPG
WF8.JPG

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
So I bought a Gear S3 frontier last week, and only recently decided to look for some watchfaces and bands. Bought a 6 pack of silicone bands as I'm very active. So far my favorite colors for the silicone bands are Black, Red, Yellow and White. When you color code the faces to the band, it looks so nice. I'll pick up a metal and leather band next for a more business/classic look. As for my watchfaces, here's a sample of what you can get for free from watchland and they are premium quality. This watch in my opinion is easily the nicest looking smartwatch. Nothing but compliments from bystanders who noticed me using my watch waiting in line at various places.]
Watchland, huh? I see plenty of watch faces that I and many others have made (JC Dalisay has several in your images above), so it looks like this was a complete ripoff of Watchmaker users and the Watchmaker community on G+.

I'm not gonna dl the app, but can I ask if any credit was given to the creators of the watchfaces?

Sevanw

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
This is what the Apple Watch is missing. A Watch face store and plethora of Watch faces. And these Watch faces look awesome.

Apple needs to make their watch round. I understand there are dumb watches with rectangle and square shapes, but round watches as a smartwatch just look less nerdy/techy. And they just look nicer, especially with that oh so sweet bezel on the Gear S3. Damn, I just love the look. The universal 22mm band fitting just makes picking up any band so much easier.
[doublepost=1497249229][/doublepost]
Watchland, huh? I see plenty of watch faces that I and many others have made (JC Dalisay has several in your images above), so it looks like this was a complete ripoff of Watchmaker users and the Watchmaker community on G+.

I'm not gonna dl the app, but can I ask if any credit was given to the creators of the watchfaces?

Actually the app credits the watchfaces made by the community for the community.

Reactions: vikingjunior

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple needs to make their watch round. I understand there are dumb watches with rectangle and square shapes, but round watches as a smartwatch just look less nerdy/techy. And they just look nicer, especially with that oh so sweet bezel on the Gear S3. Damn, I just love the look. The universal 22mm band fitting just makes picking up any band so much easier

I Have zero issue with the current Apple Watch design. And I actually prefer the rectangle design over a round design. But that's not what the Apple Watch needs right now is a round design. If you research the Apple Watch forum, many forum members are disgruntled that the Apple Watch is so limited with watch faces and it would be beneficial to allow third-party access for developers to expand on the watch faces. Because as it stands, that's one of the key components that is missing. However, Apple executed the band switching perfectly.

Reactions: Oohara and 5105973

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
As long as they are not using unauthorised branding. I cringe seeing the likes of Rolex and AP on faces like this and hope they crack down on it. By all means pay homage but don't use the actual branding.

Aside from your viewpoint on the Watch branding, this is what the Apple Watch needs to see. They need a variety of more robust watch faces and a watch store that is set up similar to what Samsung has. As you are well aware of, the Apple Watch forum is full of members requesting additional watch faces that could at least offer some form variety similar to what's above. Samsung nailed their Watch face Store brilliantly.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Aside from your viewpoint on the Watch branding, this is what the Apple Watch needs to see. They need a variety of more robust watch faces and a watch store that is set up similar to what Samsung has. As you are well aware of, the Apple Watch forum is full of members requesting additional watch faces that could at least offer some form variety similar to what's above. Samsung nailed their Watch face Store brilliantly.

I am certainly one of those people who has been vocal about Apple releasing more Watch faces.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I've had the Gear S3 watch since this weekend. This watch so so awesome I am loving it. It is much better than the Apple Watch especially when it comes to the built in fitness apps. It also looks a lot better too aesthetically.

All it needs is the ability to reply back to facebook messenger and whatsapp but that feature to me isn't a deal breaker. You can at least read the full message and dismiss the notification.

Reactions: convergent

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Still use the Gear S2 Classic. Since enough time has already past, I'm going to skip the S3 and wait for the S4 this year.

This is what the Apple Watch is missing. A Watch face store and plethora of Watch faces. And these Watch faces look awesome.

AW is missing two major things for me ......... 3rd Party Watch Faces and Auto Sleep Detection.

Reactions: 5105973

Sevanw

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
All it needs is the ability to reply back to facebook messenger and whatsapp but that feature to me isn't a deal breaker. You can at least read the full message and dismiss the notification.

You can already do this. I reply on whatsapp with my Gear S3 all the time.

Reactions: JaySoul

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Apple needs to make their watch round. I understand there are dumb watches with rectangle and square shapes, but round watches as a smartwatch just look less nerdy/techy. And they just look nicer, especially with that oh so sweet bezel on the Gear S3. Damn, I just love the look. The universal 22mm band fitting just makes picking up any band so much easier.
[doublepost=1497249229][/doublepost]

Actually the app credits the watchfaces made by the community for the community.
I dont think apple cares about looking like a traditional watch. They are not shying away or hiding that its a smart watch.

I see alot of Apple watches around and TBH the android smart watches look more nerdy to me.
Apple watches tend to look more elegant, just my opinion.

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2011
UK
I dont think apple cares about looking like a traditional watch. They are not shying away or hiding that its a smart watch.

I see alot of Apple watches around and TBH the android smart watches look more nerdy to me.
Apple watches look like the toy watches I would wear back in the 60s. Style wise,the s3 is light years ahead,whether you admit it or not.

Reactions: kdarling

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

To me, Apple watch screams "feminine". The Apple Watch is like the Toyota Prius of watches. There are lots of them around, but you feel sorry for the guy stuck driving them.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
To me, Apple watch screams "feminine". The Apple Watch is like the Toyota Prius of watches. There are lots of them around, but you feel sorry for the guy stuck driving them.
The rose gold with white sports band screams feminine for sure. Don't see how the space black stainless or regular stainless are feminine through. To each his own I guess.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I'm so stupid, I just discovered that in almost all notifications on the apps I use, there's those 3 dots that pulls up more options.

Like the Facebook messenger app for instance, I can do so many things like reply to a message. And on Nine, I can reply back to emails. I was so used to having the options at the bottom like on the Apple Watch that I overlooked this.

I am loving the Gear S3 even more now!!!
d5383bf43c49fd79c10380847333ac1d.jpg
eeda7fcb7552a7eba5f64bc24590fdf9.jpg

Reactions: Sevanw

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm so stupid, I just discovered that in almost all notifications on the apps I use, there's those 3 dots that pulls up more options.

Like the Facebook messenger app for instance, I can do so many things like reply to a message. And on Nine, I can reply back to emails. I was so used to having the options at the bottom like on the Apple Watch that I overlooked this.

I am loving the Gear S3 even more now!!!
Yeah I remember being surprised I could type back replies on a full but tiny keyboard.

I like the features and customizable faces of the Gear watches. I prefer the easier band switching on my Apple watch and the overall materials and construction.

There's definitely a lot that can be done on a Samsung watch and it's all very easily missed if you are used to the Apple Watch interface. I need to set up my S2 Classic as nicely as I set up my S2 Sport. I just hadn't taken the time. There's a lot that can be done, almost too much. Apple Watch is a bit more straight forward to set up, but limited.

I prefer Apple Watch, but I am female and Samsung watches and all Android watches I've seen so far are larger than I prefer.

Reactions: soulreaver99

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Apple watches look like the toy watches I would wear back in the 60s. Style wise,the s3 is light years ahead,whether you admit it or not.
What a silly immature thing to say, whether you admit it or not. :)

Sevanw

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Love the standard 22mm fit for straps. Got all these for less than $60. Now covered for any occasion. Loving it.

watchstrapss3.jpg

Reactions: JaySoul

kdarling

macrumors P6

Jon Ive bent over backwards in his Watch promotion videos talking about how he studied traditional watches etc. And we know from photos that he preferred round traditional watches.

Moreover, Apple emphasized that their Watch was about fashion, yet real round watches outsell square almost 9 to one.

It seems pretty clear that Apple just wasn't prepared to make the extra effort. Or be that courageous. Rectangular was them taking the easy way out, IMO.

Put it this way: I betcha that if Apple ever did offer a round version, it would outsell the rectangular by a long shot, just as regular watches do.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.