Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sevanw

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
I'm, how'd you find all those watch bands? Or where should I ask?
Either way I switched from the Apple and watch to a note 8. Note 8 is solid but slightly considering going back to Apple via 8 plus and using my Apple watch.
Yes they are missing faces though and that's a big opportunity for them.
If I keep this note 8 I'm going to probaby look at the Gear Sport it might be what I'm looking for...
[doublepost=1511329500][/doublepost]And they should make the Apple watch bigger like a 44/46mm but it may not work with their square design.

Go to EBay/Amazon for all the watch bands you desire. The best thing is, the Gear S3 uses a standard 22mm band. So your choice of bands is endless. When it comes to the silicone sport bands, there's always a great deal on a 5 pack of bands online. Switching up the bands really changes the look of the device, especially when you have endless watch faces as well. I think the Gear S3 Frontier has the best look for any style/color of band. And now with the newest software update to Tizen 3.0, it just gets better.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
Go to EBay/Amazon for all the watch bands you desire. The best thing is, the Gear S3 uses a standard 22mm band. So your choice of bands is endless. When it comes to the silicone sport bands, there's always a great deal on a 5 pack of bands online. Switching up the bands really changes the look of the device, especially when you have endless watch faces as well. I think the Gear S3 Frontier has the best look for any style/color of band. And now with the newest software update to Tizen 3.0, it just gets better.

Have you taken a look at the Gear Sport at all?

Sevanw

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Have you taken a look at the Gear Sport at all?

Yes, I still prefer the look of the S3 Frontier. The only difference is size and style.

samsung-gear-sport-vs-gear-s3-1.jpg

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I own all the smart watches in question. It makes no difference if the info is displayed in circular or square format. This is especially true with the Gear S3 and the rotational bezel to scroll through information. By far the best UI of any watch.
The Gear S3 might look good (I like it--and I do not mind its size at all) and I think it's UI is MUCH better than Android Wear, but I really like the Apple Watch's UI. It's very smooth. I like it even better now with the latest WatchOS running on AW3 (LTE in my case). But the Gear S3 is a non-starter for me due to SVoice, and the lack of apps (there wasn't even an app for Samsung's own Smartthings home control). It also seems you need a Samsung phone to get the most out of the S3.

I only moved from an AW 2 to LG Sport, this past February, due to it having LTE. I really need to stay in contact and occasionally I forgot my phone, it died, etc. So I got the Sport and an LG V20. Loved the phone for a while but never really the watch (battery life sucked unless I manually turned things off). Didn't even like how it implemented LTE. Heck, even the screen didn't much wow me (compared to even my original AW); it was like it wasn't even OLED.

But I really like my AW3 LTE. Yea I might like it more in a big bulky round version, but it is fast, display looks awesome, and the battery life is excellent so far (with LTE on--but not really used). Siri has worked well on it, and that is something I use multiple times a day (usually to add list items or other reminders). I am soooo glad to be off of Android Wear with its Google Assistant that was a big fat downgrade from Google Now for adding list items.

Mike

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The Gear S3 might look good (I like it--and I do not mind its size at all) and I think it's UI is MUCH better than Android Wear, but I really like the Apple Watch's UI. It's very smooth. I like it even better now with the latest WatchOS running on AW3 (LTE in my case). But the Gear S3 is a non-starter for me due to SVoice, and the lack of apps (there wasn't even an app for Samsung's own Smartthings home control). It also seems you need a Samsung phone to get the most out of the S3.

I only moved from an AW 2 to LG Sport, this past February, due to it having LTE. I really need to stay in contact and occasionally I forgot my phone, it died, etc. So I got the Sport and an LG V20. Loved the phone for a while but never really the watch (battery life sucked unless I manually turned things off). Didn't even like how it implemented LTE. Heck, even the screen didn't much wow me (compared to even my original AW); it was like it wasn't even OLED.

But I really like my AW3 LTE. Yea I might like it more in a big bulky round version, but it is fast, display looks awesome, and the battery life is excellent so far (with LTE on--but not really used). Siri has worked well on it, and that is something I use multiple times a day (usually to add list items or other reminders). I am soooo glad to be off of Android Wear with its Google Assistant that was a big fat downgrade from Google Now for adding list items.

Mike

I can't stand Android Wear, and I really tried to like it. If you use voice commands on a smartwatch, Siri on the AW is the best.

I prefer Samsung Gear watches. S-Voice completely sucks and is dead. The S4 should have Bixby. I really don't use much 3rd party apps or voice controls. Besides the main functions, I'm just happy with the Watch Faces, Spotify app, Voice memo, Widgets, and S-Health, on my S2 Classic. Will go for the S4 when it's released.

AW is almost the perfect smartwatch but it's missing some things like ....... 3rd party watch faces, Voice Memo, Auto sleep detection, Always on display, and I hate that you have to completely restart it to get out of power save mode.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I am okay with the faces on the AW, especially with the ability to easily edit. Heck, my favorite right now is the new Toy Story face--it just makes me smile whenever I see it. But usually I would go for one with complications.

Agree AW should have native voice memos, though at least there are apps available to do it (and have gotten better under OS 4.0). Don't think any work with the iPhone's native Voice Memos.

But there is no excuse for not having native sleep detection. Last year I got my wife, who refuses to wear any watch that needs charging, has a Garmin vivofit 3. It tracks her sleep automatically, and it is still on its original battery.

I am already used to having to "start" my sleep app from my prior Apple Watches (Sleep++) and on my LG Sport (Sleep as Android). It's a pain and we shouldn't need to start an app to monitor sleep. At least Sleep++ runs on the AW itself. Sleep as Android runs on the phone, using the watch as a sensor. Any loss of communication between the two naturally will cause a disruption (and the watch app can't display results--since it is only a sensor for the main app on the phone). I am not knocking Sleep as Android, it is a very extensive app, but I didn't like that the watch component didn't run on its own.

It's not like Apple Watch can't do it, either. I got a warning the other morning that during the night my heart rate was elevated (from 70-145 in 8 minutes)--and it knew I was at rest (presumably dreaming). I do like Apple's Health app. Google Fit seemed okay, but I never felt I fully grasped it. Apple Health seems to "fit" me better lol.

Mike

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I am already used to having to "start" my sleep app from my prior Apple Watches (Sleep++) and on my LG Sport (Sleep as Android). It's a pain and we shouldn't need to start an app to monitor sleep. At least Sleep++ runs on the AW itself. Sleep as Android runs on the phone, using the watch as a sensor. Any loss of communication between the two naturally will cause a disruption (and the watch app can't display results--since it is only a sensor for the main app on the phone). I am not knocking Sleep as Android, it is a very extensive app, but I didn't like that the watch component didn't run on its own.

Never tired that with Android Wear.

On Gear watches, it's automatic and not tied to any phone app. This is what AW needs.

It's not like Apple Watch can't do it, either. I got a warning the other morning that during the night my heart rate was elevated (from 70-145 in 8 minutes)--and it knew I was at rest (presumably dreaming). I do like Apple's Health app. Google Fit seemed okay, but I never felt I fully grasped it. Apple Health seems to "fit" me better lol.

Unfortunately, I sold my AW Series 2 before the update, so I haven't experience that feature. I hope Samsung implements it. Can you makes custom alerts for specific ranges?

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
The Apple watch is really cool feature wise and looks nice but I feel they do need a round design and something a tad bit bigger.

Quben

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2017
How do i install these watch faces? I am IOS user what app should i download?

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Unfortunately, I sold my AW Series 2 before the update, so I haven't experience that feature. I hope Samsung implements it. Can you makes custom alerts for specific ranges?
Not ranges, just a heart rate that reaches your chosen level--default is 120--while at rest for 10 minutes or more. Wouldn't have known this feature existed if I hadn't been notified in the morning.

But it tells me that if it can tell I am at rest, all that would be needed is to allow the entry of typical go-to-sleep times. When that time occurs it can then wait for a period of rest and then begin sleep tracking. Pretty sure that is how the Garmins I have had did it (I remember having to enter my normal sleep times).

Heck, I would be OK with triggering sleep tracking based on the time of day alone. I can then at least set it early and trim the sleep data in the morning.

Mike

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Heck, I would be OK with triggering sleep tracking based on the time of day alone. I can then at least set it early and trim the sleep data in the morning.
Just a quick update... I now have the app AutoSleep on my AW3 LTE and it does everything I wanted and more. It knows I am sleeping by using data from my watch and phone: If my phone is inactive and I am inactive (known from watch) for x number of minutes it assumes sleeping. If it is after 8PM it knows I am. It even registered one time I fell asleep during the day. Better yet I don't have to do anything: no syncing in the morning, no manual triggering, etc. I have been using it for over two weeks and I see no reduction in battery life (I only charge my watch in the morning when getting ready for work, and it usually has about 70% or so battery left).

Not sure if this app is available for Samsung Gear but if so it might be worth a shot. Or maybe you don't need it. :)

Mike

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Just a quick update... I now have the app AutoSleep on my AW3 LTE and it does everything I wanted and more. It knows I am sleeping by using data from my watch and phone: If my phone is inactive and I am inactive (known from watch) for x number of minutes it assumes sleeping. If it is after 8PM it knows I am. It even registered one time I fell asleep during the day. Better yet I don't have to do anything: no syncing in the morning, no manual triggering, etc. I have been using it for over two weeks and I see no reduction in battery life (I only charge my watch in the morning when getting ready for work, and it usually has about 70% or so battery left).

Not sure if this app is available for Samsung Gear but if so it might be worth a shot. Or maybe you don't need it. :)

Mike

You don't need it. The Gear S3 tracks your sleep automatically. It also measures how well you are sleeping and gives you a graphical view and indicator of the quality of your overall nights sleep.
[doublepost=1513095024][/doublepost]
How do i install these watch faces? I am IOS user what app should i download?

Is there a Gear app on iOS? That's where you do it from Android. The watch faces are kind viewed as a type of app in the Gear app.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany

Mike

Sleep for Android will do much of that but I don't know if it's available for Tizen watches

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Sleep for Android will do much of that but I don't know if it's available for Tizen watches
Sleep As Android does not auto start--BIG difference. You can set a manual time but it is nothing like AutoSleep.
[doublepost=1513111877][/doublepost]
You don't need it. The Gear S3 tracks your sleep automatically. It also measures how well you are sleeping and gives you a graphical view and indicator of the quality of your overall nights sleep..
Well, every sleep app I have ever used does the graphs and sleep quality.

But I have not seen any that work as hands-off as AutoSleep. It uses the phone and watch to determine sleep. My Garmin's came close but I had to tell it my normal sleep hours.

When I tested a Gear S3 I also had to tell it my sleep hours. AutoSleep doesn't need that.

Mike

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Sleep As Android does not auto start--BIG difference. You can set a manual time but it is nothing like AutoSleep.
[doublepost=1513111877][/doublepost]
Well, every sleep app I have ever used does the graphs and sleep quality.

But I have not seen any that work as hands-off as AutoSleep. It uses the phone and watch to determine sleep. My Garmin's came close but I had to tell it my normal sleep hours.

When I tested a Gear S3 I also had to tell it my sleep hours. AutoSleep doesn't need that.

Mike
I've never told the Gear S3 my sleep hours... Would have no clue where to even input it. It just tracks sleep out of the box. I am assuming it's using heart rate to figure it out. I wear the watch. My Note 8 gets a notification with sleep hours and graph of it. Also gets added to Samsung Health. Nothing could be simpler.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I don't wear a watch to sleep and probably never will.
My phone has once assumed I was sleep based off inactivity but I've only noticed that once....

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I've never told the Gear S3 my sleep hours... Would have no clue where to even input it. It just tracks sleep out of the box.
Whether you left the default set or not doesn't change that there is a setting for sleep hours for the watch to use. It is in S Health.

AutoSleep seems more robust than when I tested an S3. At that time sleep tracking was a plus to me for the S3. But not enough to negate its cons so I never kept it (S Voice, choke, choke). I went with LG Sport instead... and really never cared for that much either. But I absolutely love my AW Series 3 LTE. The only thing real con was lack of sleep tracking, and that is gone now.

Mike

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Whether you left the default set or not doesn't change that there is a setting for sleep hours for the watch to use. It is in S Health.

AutoSleep seems more robust than when I tested an S3. At that time sleep tracking was a plus to me for the S3. But not enough to negate its cons so I never kept it (S Voice, choke, choke). I went with LG Sport instead... and really never cared for that much either. But I absolutely love my AW Series 3 LTE. The only thing real con was lack of sleep tracking, and that is gone now.

Mike
I just went through all the S Health Settings I could find in the app, Gear app, and within the Sleep tab in the S Health app. If there is a place to put in hours that I sleep it is well hidden. I sleep very odd hours on different days and it is tracking correctly, so not sure how the sleep hours would even apply.

Glad you like the AW3. After 2 years wearing an AW, I am loving the S3 and would really not want to go back. The S3 would probably prevent me from going back to an iPhone. Glad we have choices... everyone has different needs and wants!

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I just went through all the S Health Settings I could find in the app, Gear app, and within the Sleep tab in the S Health app. If there is a place to put in hours that I sleep it is well hidden. I sleep very odd hours on different days and it is tracking correctly, so not sure how the sleep hours would even apply.

Glad you like the AW3. After 2 years wearing an AW, I am loving the S3 and would really not want to go back. The S3 would probably prevent me from going back to an iPhone. Glad we have choices... everyone has different needs and wants!

I think there's more of a delay in the Samsung watch vs. The Apple watch though.
[doublepost=1513223910][/doublepost]I am curious to see how the s4 will look.
I actually liked the sport that's out even though it's missing a couple features.

Kendzias

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2018
So I bought a Gear S3 frontier last week, and only recently decided to look for some watchfaces and bands. Bought a 6 pack of silicone bands as I'm very active. So far my favorite colors for the silicone bands are Black, Red, Yellow and White. When you color code the faces to the band, it looks so nice. I'll pick up a metal and leather band next for a more business/classic look. As for my watchfaces, here's a sample of what you can get for free from watchland and they are premium quality. This watch in my opinion is easily the nicest looking smartwatch. Nothing but compliments from bystanders who noticed me using my watch waiting in line at various places. View attachment 703546 View attachment 703547 View attachment 703548 View attachment 703549 View attachment 703550 View attachment 703551 View attachment 703552 View attachment 703553
Hi where can i download this watchfaces???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.