Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Jon Ive bent over backwards in his Watch promotion videos talking about how he studied traditional watches etc. And we know from photos that he preferred round traditional watches.

Moreover, Apple emphasized that their Watch was about fashion, yet real round watches outsell square almost 9 to one.

It seems pretty clear that Apple just wasn't prepared to make the extra effort. Or be that courageous. Rectangular was them taking the easy way out, IMO.

Put it this way: I betcha that if Apple ever did offer a round version, it would outsell the rectangular by a long shot, just as regular watches do.

Square works better for information on a smaller screen.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Square works better for information on a smaller screen.

In theory, but those of us with both shapes know that it doesn't really matter in real life.

Especially since most wrist devices are not used for book reading, but instead only for short notifications.

Granted, rectangular can help when the watch screen's bezels take up more than half the frontal view area like on the Apple Watch.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I own all the smart watches in question. It makes no difference if the info is displayed in circular or square format. This is especially true with the Gear S3 and the rotational bezel to scroll through information. By far the best UI of any watch.

The S3 is an amazing watch, and also one of the bigger ones.
[doublepost=1501482979][/doublepost]
In theory, but those of us with both shapes know that it doesn't really matter in real life.

Especially since most wrist devices are not used for book reading, but instead only for short notifications.

Granted, rectangular can help when the watch screen's bezels take up more than half the frontal view area like on the Apple Watch.

No hyperbole here. :eye roll:

kdarling

macrumors P6
No hyperbole here. :eye roll:

Nope, no hyperbole. This fact shocks most people.

Motorola used to love to point out that their watch had a higher display-to-case ratio than anyone else. The Apple Watch (among others) actually uses less than half its case's frontal area for display.

display-body-ratio2-jpg.647957

Heck, if its body corners weren't rounded, the ratio would be even worse.

Which is why frontal comparison photos are so misleading. Our brains just assume that the Apple Watch can show more than it does, because its all black front and UI intentionally fools the eye.

Last edited:

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
In pictures I like how the android/samsung smart watches look. But once I see it in person they dont look so nice to me..

They are big and look clunky. I will say that the best one I have seen is the Samsung gears and the rotating bezel is a great way to navigate. But IMO I still like how the apple watch looks.

(I used to own one but sold it due to not really having a use for it)

Sevanw

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Put it this way: I betcha that if Apple ever did offer a round version, it would outsell the rectangular by a long shot, just as regular watches do.

Been saying this forever, and there's not a doubt in my mind the members on this forum professing how much better the square watch is, would be first in line for that round Apple watch.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

kdarling

macrumors P6
Been saying this forever, and there's not a doubt in my mind the members on this forum professing how much better the square watch is, would be first in line for that round Apple watch.

Yeah, it's just like when people claimed there was no need for a larger display, because Apple told them that 4" was the perfect size.

You'd think that people would learn by now that Apple always claims exactly what it takes to sell their CURRENT line of devices. But they'll flip positions in a heartbeat if they lose too many sales to a competitor.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, it's just like when people claimed there was no need for a larger display, because Apple told them that 4" was the perfect size.

You'd think that people would learn by now that Apple always claims exactly what it takes to sell their CURRENT line of devices. But they'll flip positions in a heartbeat if they lose too many sales to a competitor.
Especially now since Tim Cook basically confirmed this by saying you cant be afraid to change your stance over time.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
In pictures I like how the android/samsung smart watches look. But once I see it in person they dont look so nice to me..

They are big and look clunky. I will say that the best one I have seen is the Samsung gears and the rotating bezel is a great way to navigate. But IMO I still like how the apple watch looks.

I like big and clunky whether it's a traditional or smart watch.
89e92aa116bae5b66a0f09ea417ea180.jpg

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010

I'm not sure I'd quite go as far as clunky, but I'm hoping the S4 will thin down a bit (with similar screen size).

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

As a Watch collector who owns many mechanical watches I have always preferred a round face. Aesthetically they just look better on a standard watch in my opinion. In regards to a smartwatch I prefer a rectangular face as I use it less like a watch and more like a screen planted on my wrist, therefore it's shape I feel suits better. Just my opinion though, feel free to label me in a group from a time before I even owned an iPhone. That seems to be common on here.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

kdarling

macrumors P6
In regards to a smartwatch I prefer a rectangular face as I use it less like a watch and more like a screen planted on my wrist, therefore it's shape I feel suits better.

By simply calling it the "Watch", I think they raise certain expectations.

Perhaps they should've done like Martian and called it the "Notifier". Or in your use case, the "Wrist Terminal" :)

As you say, it's your preference. Personally, I love having an always readable circular face, and I do think that if Apple had a choice like that, so would most buyers.

Regards.

Reactions: Sevanw

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Nope, no hyperbole. This fact shocks most people.

Motorola used to love to point out that their watch had a higher display-to-case ratio than anyone else. The Apple Watch (among others) actually uses less than half its case's frontal area for display.

display-body-ratio2-jpg.647957

Heck, if its body corners weren't rounded, the ratio would be even worse.

Which is why frontal comparison photos are so misleading. Our brains just assume that the Apple Watch can show more than it does, because its all black front and UI intentionally fools the eye.

Where did you source those ratios?

GSM Arena says

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_360_sport_(1st_gen)-7685.php
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_watch_42mm-7696.php

Apple Watch Sport 1st gen 42mm: ~56.8%
Motorola Moto 360 1st gen 42mm: ~53.9%

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_watch_series_2_42mm-8329.php
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_360_46mm_(2nd_gen)-7683.php

Apple Watch Sport Series 2 42mm: ~55.4%
Motorola Moto 360 2nd Gen 46mm: ~66.7%

Which seem rather less dramatic than your figures and even in favor of Apple Watch until recently.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Where did you source those ratios?

I thought that was clear: from Motorola. Those are their images they used in public talks.

GSM Arena says

A little visual common sense, plus a little pi R squared math, would quickly have told you that:

Whatever widget they used for calculating screen to body ratio, it was not designed for watches with lugs or curved edges, and it especially wasn't designed for circular screens. For example:

Apple Watch Sport Series 2 42mm: ~55.4%

Using Apple's own schematic:

watch-screen-size42.png

Display area = 21.81 x 27.87 mm = 607.8 mm-sq
Case area = 36.44 x 42.5 mm = 1548.7 mm-sq

607.8 / 1548.7 = Only 39% screen to body ratio (!)

But that assumes square case corners. Apple gets a reprieve because of the Watch's curved corners, which take off enough area from the frontal case area to apparently pull it up to Motorola's cited 49.1%.

Motorola Moto 360 2nd Gen 46mm: ~66.7%

Display area = 1.56" = 39.6 mm diameter = 19.8 x 19.8 x pi = 1231.6 mm-sq
Case area = 46 mm diameter = 23 x 23 x pi = 1661.9 mm-sq

1231.6 / 1666.9 = 74% screen to body ratio.

But that assumes a full circle. The flat tire takes away a little and apparently ends up with Motorola's cited 71.7%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Feenician

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
You're right. I assumed that since that image had been posted a few times before, you would recognize its origin. Plus I said that Motorola liked to brag. Nevertheless, mea culpa. I'll put a label on it next time.

No big deal.

On topic: some of those watch faces look fantastic. I do wish Apple would add a watch face store. I suspect they're trying to avoid a copyright bloodbath though.

Reactions: kdarling

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
By simply calling it the "Watch", I think they raise certain expectations.

Perhaps they should've done like Martian and called it the "Notifier". Or in your use case, the "Wrist Terminal" :)

As you say, it's your preference. Personally, I love having an always readable circular face, and I do think that if Apple had a choice like that, so would most buyers.

Regards.
My Apple Watch is is a rotation of watches anyway. I can't give any single watch 100% wrist time as I own too many nice looking watches. They are jewellery to me, not practical devices with exception to the AW. In my opinion the AW is the nicest looking smart wrist notifier I've seen on the market. The version Tag Heuer released looks pleasant but is huge. I have an iPhone too so it seemed the best choice for me. Perhaps Apple will go round in future, who knows? Who cares enough really? :)

Reactions: Feenician

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
My top five favorite watch faces I use on my Gear S2.

1....... (adRon 05 Yellow AM)

Gear S2 screenshot.png

2 ......(Colorful face 12h)

Gear S2 Screenshot2.png

3....... (Type C Freedom RED)

Gear S2 screenshot 3.png

4 ..... (Simple Digital Display 12h)

Gear S2 screenshot 5.png

5 .... (DQS004 JustWatch)

Gear s2 screenshot 4.png

Reactions: Sevanw and HiDEF

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I'm, how'd you find all those watch bands? Or where should I ask?
Either way I switched from the Apple and watch to a note 8. Note 8 is solid but slightly considering going back to Apple via 8 plus and using my Apple watch.
Yes they are missing faces though and that's a big opportunity for them.
If I keep this note 8 I'm going to probaby look at the Gear Sport it might be what I'm looking for...
[doublepost=1511329500][/doublepost]And they should make the Apple watch bigger like a 44/46mm but it may not work with their square design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.