Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Glasgow Times today reports that employees at Apple's Buchanan Street store in Scotland are about to become the first branch in the United Kingdom to unionize.

apple-glasgow.jpeg

Staff at Apple Glasgow are said to have filed for Voluntary Union Recognition with Apple after joining the country's general workers union, GMB Scotland. They claim low wages, lack of pay transparency, and unfair shift patterns have pushed them to make the move.

An Apple worker, who asked to remain anonymous, told the paper: "In the UK Apple have staff forums, but these are continually shown to be ineffectual and feedback is ignored. It is a one-way conversation.

"We need our own representatives and a proper voice to change things. People are suffering with the cost-of-living crisis. We need a pay rise, pay transparency and a voice," they added.

There has reportedly been frustration over recent changes to scheduling resulting in workers struggling to find a work-life balance. Store staff in Glasgow also said they earn around £12 ($15) an hour and will demand a pay rise should union recognition be received.

Responding to news of the move by staff at Apple Glasgow, an Apple spokesperson was quoted as saying:
"We are fortunate to have incredible retail team members and we deeply value everything they bring to Apple.

"We are pleased to offer very strong compensation and benefits, including private healthcare, enhanced parental leaves, paid family leave, annual stock grants and many other benefits for every team member."
The news follows similar moves by Apple retail employees in the United States. Apple retail locations in Washington State, New York City, and Maryland are organizing and taking steps toward unionization. Employees want higher pay, more vacation time, better retirement options, and other benefits.

Apple has since agreed to improve working conditions for retail employees in the U.S. amid unionization efforts, but not before the company attempted to thwart employee efforts by disseminating anti-union videos.

(Thanks, David!)

Article Link: Glasgow Apple Store Employees to Become First UK Branch to Unionize

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
I can’t believe there are 1st world countries without unions. In Australia we have the "miscellaneous workers union" to cover those without. No matter who it is, or as altruistic any employer maybe, the worker should be able to have rights to question behaviours of their employer.

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I can’t believe there are 1st world countries without unions. In Australia we have the "miscellaneous workers union" to cover those without. No matter who it is, or as altruistic any employer maybe, the worker should be able to have rights to question behaviours of their employer.
Me neither. As a Norwegian I'm quite frankly baffled when employees are arguing against unions. When I see what unions have done here in Norway to keep regular jobs up-to-speed with inflation ++ it really is a non-brainer. We don't even have a minimum wage, but still we have one of the lowest wage inequalities in the world.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
The UK has Unite and various unions for individual sectors as well. Everyone can and should join a union, but there’s more strength in doing what these Apple employees have done as it means they’re representing and negotiating collectively on the same issues, not just being a member of a generic union who can assist in employment disputes but not do much else.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Good for them. As Billy Bragg sings...

There's power in a factory, power in the land
Power in the hand of the worker
But it all amounts to nothing if together we don't stand
There is power in a union

Now the lessons of the past were all learned with workers' blood
The mistakes of the bosses we must pay for
From the cities and the farmlands to trenches full of mud
War has always been the bosses' way, sir

The union forever defending our rights
Down with the blackleg, all workers unite
With our brothers and our sisters from many far-off lands

Now I long for the morning that they realize
Brutality and unjust laws cannot defeat us
But who'll defend the workers, who cannot organize
When the bosses send their lackeys out to cheat us?

Money speaks for money, the devil for his own
Who comes to speak for the skin and the bone?
What a comfort to the widow, a light to the child

The union forever defending our rights
Down with the blackleg, all workers unite
With our brothers and our sisters, together we will stand

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
The UK has Unite and various unions for individual sectors as well. Everyone can and should join a union, but there’s more strength in doing what these Apple employees have done as it means they’re representing and negotiating collectively on the same issues, not just being a member of a generic union who can assist in employment disputes but not do much else.
Unite. Ha, I was a member back when I had a part-time role in a supermarket. After a workplace incident I approached them (directly, not through a store rep) for legal support and I was told pretty much "nope, nothing in it for us. Good luck.". I stopped my payments immediately after that, and vowed to never join a union again.

People forget that a union is just another money-making enterprise.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
People forget that a union is just another money-making enterprise.
Well, yes, but the money they make is for supporting their members, not for generating profit. It's a shame they weren't able to help with you situation, but without more information it's difficult to pass much comment; if it's a situation where they're legitimately unable to help, there isn't much that can be done. A union isn't a catch-all solution for any workplace issue, but it's better to have the support of one in the case of a conflict between yourself and your employer than not.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
That's what you get when not treating your employees right.

No, what you should get when you don't treat your employees fairly (against the market) is that your employees leave and you have to start over, lesson learned, don't do that again. Listen to the feedback from your exit interviews and adjust your compensation package, or do so proactively.

Unions are what you get when the person sweeping the floor believes they are entitled to $100,000/yr., 8 weeks vacation (to start) and a full salary pension with benefits. They can't get there on their own so they get fooled into thinking a union will get it for them.

Last edited:

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
I'm not totally against unions, and an employee should have some negotiating leverage. But theres been plenty of examples in the history of US industry where unions effectively 'negotiated' their company out of business.
So hopefully the union isnt stupid enough to expect the person who 'sweeps' the floor to earn $100,000 a year, or indeed, that store will close down. End of story.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
Tozen da! Tozen is my union here in Japan. We have an Apple branch in Tozen.

Last edited:

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Me neither. As a Norwegian I'm quite frankly baffled when employees are arguing against unions. When I see what unions have done here in Norway to keep regular jobs up-to-speed with inflation ++ it really is a non-brainer. We don't even have a minimum wage, but still we have one of the lowest wage inequalities in the world.
Norway is an oil country with a low population.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.