Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I have no idea. I don't think you'd have any grounds to do that. lol. It's a free market at will employment in the US in most states that I'm aware. So if you want better pay find another job that appreciates your worth or demonstrate to management you bring value and justify the increased pay. If management tells you to bugger off then your options are to stay and suck it up or move on to bigger and brighter things. It's an employees market right now allegedly. And certainly in the tech sector and other industries I feel like it is. With rampant inflation and the Feds now raising interest, this might slow things down and equalize everything in the coming months. So IDK. That's the lessons I take away from my experience.
I'm not anti-Union in general. Just for me in my experience I don't see the value. Not every union is crap obviously. But the value a union brings in the 21st century I feel is less so than in years past. And someone posted an article explaining as such. I mostly agree. Fire, Law, Electricians, unions for example. I hear are great unions.
You forgot to add unionization to the list of employees' options.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Yes I do, I even looked it up to make sure.

- A non sequitur is a statement, remark, or conclusion that does not follow naturally or logically from what has just been said.

Something tells me you don't though. Because I had to look it up. It also sounds like you've never actually worked in a job with a union. So you literally have no idea what you're talking about.
240 union jobs. Bye Bye back in 2005. I was one of the 240.

Last edited:

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Yes I do, I even looked it up to make sure.

- A non sequitur is a statement, remark, or conclusion that does not follow naturally or logically from what has just been said.

Something tells me you don't though. Because I had to look it up. It also sounds like you've never actually worked in a job with a union. So you literally have no idea what you're talking about.
240 union jobs. Bye Bye back in 2005. I was one of the 240.
Options for employees being told by management that they aren't getting more money:
a) stay and suck it up
b) move on to bigger and brighter things
c) unionize

You'll have to explain how pointing out that you missed option c is somehow a non sequitur.

"Hey Bob where do you want to go for lunch, McDonalds or Burger King?" "What about the Wendy's across the street, Ted?" "That's a non sequitur, Bob."

That's what you're saying and it doesn't make a lick of sense. The fact that you admit to having to look it up rather confirms that you didn't know what it meant.

As far as the article goes, I'm struggling to figure out what your point is. That unions have to bat a thousand or all of them are useless? That the union failed to use their imaginary ability of forcing a business to continue operating? Help me out here.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I didn't give option c. I don't consider it an option. Therefore it's both non sequitur and non starter. You disagree ofc. That's fine. We can leave it that. My experience makes me discount that option. If you feel different ok. Great. I don't know too many Retail jobs that are union. Grocery clerk is the only one I know of.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I didn't give option c. I don't consider it an option. Therefore it's both non sequitur and non starter. You disagree ofc. That's fine. We can leave it that. My experience makes me discount that option. If you feel different ok. Great. I don't know too many Retail jobs that are union. Grocery clerk is the only one I know of.
How you feel about option c has no bearing on whether or not it is an option. Which of course it is a verifiable fact that it is an option for employees to unionize. In fact I’m pretty sure the subject and title of this post rather proves that, “Glasgow Apple Store Employees to Become First UK Branch to Unionize.” Your opinion of the option has no bearing in the reality of the situation, nor does it render the existence of that option a non sequitur. But hey, I’m just a guy not making up their own definitions for words, so what do I know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.