Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
I can’t believe there are 1st world countries without unions. In Australia we have the "miscellaneous workers union" to cover those without. No matter who it is, or as altruistic any employer maybe, the worker should be able to have rights to question behaviours of their employer.
What has Australia produced except mining its natural resources and being a place where rich Hong Kong/Chinese people go?

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Regardless of company profits, how much should an entry level retail employee earn?

Most people here just post nothing blurbs like "Apple should pay more" well exactly how much more? At what point is the company paying too much for an entry level position?

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
Paying someone more than they're worth is good business?
Is paying them *less* than they're worth good business? Who is deciding on what they're worth, in this instance? Can you replace trained employees who are knowledgable about Apple's products with people who aren't, without a loss of service and quality of customer experience? You're making an awful lot of very unstable assumptions here, all under the guise of "the market" sorting everything out for you. not sure you've opened a newspaper (or a window) recently, but that market of yours isn't exactly having the best of times.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Is paying them *less* than they're worth good business?

Not at all, see my post #22

Who is deciding on what they're worth, in this instance?

The market will decide. If you are under-paying or not treating employees well they will begin to look for other employment. If they find a greener pasture they will leave but if they don't they may just have to realize that they can't have everything and their current employer isn't that bad.

Can you replace trained employees who are knowledgable about Apple's products with people who aren't, without a loss of service and quality of customer experience?

Again, bad idea. Always strive to keep good people. However there does come a point where you are just paying too much either in wage or benefits. Why do you think so many major cities are saddled with crippling retirement benefit packages? Because unions couldn't negotiate wage increases to they got retirement benefits that some politician knew wouldn't kick in until they were long out of office.

You're making an awful lot of very unstable assumptions here, all under the guise of "the market" sorting everything out for you. not sure you've opened a newspaper (or a window) recently, but that market of yours isn't exactly having the best of times.

Open a newspaper? LOL. At least in the US there are "help wanted" signs everywhere and even convenience store signs and ads contain "signing bonuses" for entry level employees. Base hourly rates are up, etc. Where employees run into trouble is when business aren't hiring and there are more potential employees than available jobs. In this case only do companies start to jettison "seasoned" staff and look for less costly replacements.

I work in sales and my customers employ mostly entry level retail folks. My customers #1 complaint is that they cannot hire good people despite offering a significant better wage than pre-covid. Many new hires quit after only a couple of days after they learn that they actually have to work and not just stand around staring at their phones, speaks volumes about our upcoming workforce.

Last edited:

ajfahey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
Is paying them *less* than they're worth good business? Who is deciding on what they're worth, in this instance? Can you replace trained employees who are knowledgable about Apple's products with people who aren't, without a loss of service and quality of customer experience? You're making an awful lot of very unstable assumptions here, all under the guise of "the market" sorting everything out for you. not sure you've opened a newspaper (or a window) recently, but that market of yours isn't exactly having the best of times.
They are worth the intersection of the price that an employer is willing to pay an employee and the price that an employee is willing to work for. I presume that you are neither the employee nor the employee. If so, you have no defined role in the worker/employer agreement, the free market price for their employment. Assuming you are one of the employees in question, negotiate a higher price to stay and, if you can’t, leave. You aren’t a slave that is being compelled to remain with your employer.

Last edited:

troublador

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014
They are worth the intersection of the price that an employer is willing to pay an employee and the price that an employee is willing to work for.
Staff at Apple Glasgow are earning £12 an hour, well short of the UK average and a pathetic rate considering Apple is the richest tech company in the world. A private cleaner in the UK will charge more than that.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Staff at Apple Glasgow are earning £12 an hour, well short of the UK average and a pathetic rate considering Apple is the richest tech company in the world. A private cleaner in the UK will charge more than that.

That tells me that Apple should be bleeding staff and have high turnover as employees have much better options to turn to.

Is it because you are comparing their hourly rate to the overall UK average wage versus the UK average for entry level retail employees?

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
Wait, what? £24k/year for doing hee haw, at least they all seem to be when I’m in store. Coupled with a generous discount allowance it’s not all bad.
Strap a headset on them & get them to call centre on less pay, then let’s see them complain, muppets.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
What is the uk average, £30k. Not everyone can be above it or close to it for obv reasons, prices in Scotland are generally cheaper across the board.

Reactions: vmistery

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
Apple products are cheaper in Scotland?
They are for the folk that work in the store!;)

Don't get me wrong, I get paid less than them, but that's my choice. They might have to attend a pre-shift brief & all that stuff, working at short notice, but it's far far from the worst that's out there I suspect.

Every time I'm in store everyone's just chatting to everyone else & you have to hunt someone down, even their product knowledge is sub-par to what it used to be. For troubleshooting it's just plug a device in & the test runs.

It isn't a skilled role as to what it used to be & I don't believe that they have sales targets.

Last edited:

troublador

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014
So why would people work there? Shouldn’t they just quit and get work as private cleaners?
Ask them, dear. I don't work for Apple. But I would hazard a guess they wouldn't be seeking to unionise so much if they were paid properly and treated right.

• Haha
Reactions: senttoschool

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Only Apple knows exactly how much to pay them. They're the ones who receive job applications and hire these workers.

They know how much these workers are worth.

HacKage

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
If Apple gave every one of their worldwide employees $10k extra a year, it would equate to 0.004% of their annual turnover.

Apple is lowballing their retail staff and discipline them for discussing salaries. This is because once they do discuss it, they realise how there is no continuity in the pay levels and some new staff are being paid more than those with years of service.

Apple's opposition to unionisation tells you all you need to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.